Jet Powr-Flo Mass Air Flow Sensor - Anybody have one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jet Powr-Flo Mass Air Flow Sensor - Anybody have one?

DrKlawz

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger XLT
Looking like my MAF was dead after 8yrs and 165K miles, and I had a little cash, so I decided to sink the money and invest in a Jet "Powr-Flo" MAF sensor #69114.

One note, I had a K&N FIPK, which at this point I ditched and went to a AEM Bruteforce.

OK, so it comes, bolt it in... ta-da : runs like sh*t! I was experiencing a little loss in power before, which we attributed to the MAF, but with the Jet it's starving!!

At 900 rpms, the Jet is pulling 3.9 g/p/s, while stock pulls 6 g/p/s. So at TWO, this means that the stock is telling the ECM 200 g/p/s while the Jet is starving it at 135 g/p/s.

The cat's are at 90% efficiency, the exit 02 sensors are fine, I've run it about 30 miles in to sepearate tests.

Is anybody else getting this crap-tastic performance? Jet told me to go f-myself, that its the truck... which doesn't explaine why with a stock it runs fine, with a Jet its crapola.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just searched this MAF and from I can see it's using a sample tube to calibrate the airflow to the wire. This is old technoligy and I'm not sure what's going in with yours. Did you happen to install a new filter at the same time?

Different MAF = different tune.

Sorry but if you want to run that MAF you will need to get your PCM retuned, simple as that.

Hmmm... If it were a bigger spec change I'd believe that, but Jet says that is not necessary to retune the PCM. Agreed, it would probably run better, but according to them its plug and play.

To answer an earlier question, yes, I changed the filter when I installed the MAF. Is it just going to take some running?

They're using the orifice tube to try and keep the MAF calibrated once stepping up the ID size.

The reason I asked about the air cleaner is because sometimes they're over-oiled and the oil get's on the MAF wires resulting in bad readings. I would think that JET did a little research and the orifice tube should be the right size to not have to get a PCM tune; however, I think it's always better when changing a MAF to at least log the MAF counts to see what's going on.

My suggestion is to...

1) Disconnect the battery.
2) Pop the MAF sensor out and clean with electrical cleaner.
3) Re-connect the sensor
4) Reconnect the battery.
5) Start the truck up and drive. If it works come back in here and ask Rocket to tell you "who's his daddy".
6) If it doesn't work, well..I tried.

Hmmm... If it were a bigger spec change I'd believe that, but Jet says that is not necessary to retune the PCM. Agreed, it would probably run better, but according to them its plug and play.

To answer an earlier question, yes, I changed the filter when I installed the MAF. Is it just going to take some running?

Orifice size does not equate to the tune being able to work with a given MAFS. The electronics will scale differently and the MAF Transfer Function will need to be recalibrated accordingly. The ONLY time where the MAF Transfer will be correct (or close to it) when changing things dealing with the MAFS is if you were to take the existing electronics inside the stock MAF and swap it to a different housing that has the same inner diameter. Even then you will usually need to retweak things to get your AFR's dialed in just right. Usually it is close enough that most people do not care if their AFR's are off a bit. Going to a whole new MAFS like what Jet offers will almost guaranteed require a retune to get your WOT AFR's correct.

There are allot of things that Jet says that doesn't end up happening. I wouldn't exactly call them "shady" but they are usually about a hairs breadth away from that status at any given moment.

Back