Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more) | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more)

Well I purchased 91 explorer 4x4, 4 door, 5speed from a coworker for 100 dollars. It had an electrical fire inside. So the whole inside was pretty much trashed. I got it with the plan to build it into a weekend warrior. The plans include Herculined interior, roll cage, full width dana 44 and 9 inch swap, custom bumpers, onboard air, rebuild motor, trans and some other things. This project will take me awhile. I want to take my time and do it right the first time. Everything i wanted to do to my 93 will be done to this 91. So it make take some time to see any major changes but I will update as offten as I can. I would also like to hear some of your ideas if you have any. I will be making a list of things that i have done and how much the cost me. I want to keep the cost down as much as possible. Pics will also be added as i go along.

Things Done So Far
91 Explorer- 100 dollars
Rewired and replaced dash.- 40 dollars from the junk yard.
Painted interior and leftover interior panels flat black- 20 dollars
Herculined the floor- 40 dollars
Dana 44 and Ford 9 inch- 150 dollars
Disc brake caliper brackets off a 78 mercury - 10 dollars
Chopped the top- Free
Upgraded the front seat from a 99 eddie bauer- 20 bucks

These pics are the old dash

dash2.jpg

dash4.jpg

dash3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you get a side shot of the whole truck with the chop and the cover on it, i love this idea!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

95offroadx said:
can you get a side shot of the whole truck with the chop and the cover on it, i love this idea!

i'll try and do that today.

some more pics. first are the coils and the new coil seats. the second is mock up tryin to get all my parts located before the final instal.

IM000392.jpg

IM000393.jpg

i bet..if your running fullsize bronco coils then id get the fullsize coil bucket and try mounting in the existing coil bucket mounts then weld it when you get it whrer it needs to be

Those are not TTB buckets pictured, I believe he already has you covered.
Add some F-250 shock towers and BAM Ford solid axle :)

Looks good!

yup those buckets are of a 78 bronco and eb coils. Curently the bucket is mover forward more then it is in the pic. So the angle is a little better. I have the f250 shock mounts already. Im going to get everything in there first before i mess with shocks and mounts. May do something other then f250 mounts. Thanks for your help Kirby. I owe ya one.

I am off tomorrow. Did you get everything worked out? I could come over tomorrow and look it over if you still need me to.

Kirby N. said:
I am off tomorrow.....I could come over tomorrow and look it over if you still need me to.

Sure, come on over, i'll feed ya! :D

Kirby N. said:
I am off tomorrow. Did you get everything worked out? I could come over tomorrow and look it over if you still need me to.

I have to work tomorrow sad to say. Maybe im feelin kinda sick ;) . i didnt like the way thing were. So i'm going to start over. I need to get the truck all level then start again. Picked up some steel so i can space out the buckets from the frame. Did really want to but looks like i have no choice.

i know im a lil late, but i am going to chop my back too, i went and got estimates for the canvas back, and they make snaps that are directional, meaning to get them off you have to turn it a quarter turn. They recommended every other snap, they can be annoying and really mess up your paintjob if one breaks and flaps in the mind. just lettin ya know. oh by the way, hows that back hold up, i had the impression from my reading that the back could buckle or something from not having support?

looks real good man

chris

ps: we have to keep in touch, because mine is going to be a second look-a-like! coils and all. been planning, money is tight.

Joe,
Let me know if you play hooky. I will send you my cell on PMs.

Josh,
I am not visiting you! I am still ticked that you rolled your truck!

Kirby

Kirby N. said:
Josh,
I am not visiting you! I am still ticked that you rolled your truck!

Kirby

:(

well I have everything where it needs to be. Drive shaft fits, coil buckets are in, radius arm mounts are in. Still need to do the trac bar mount and an adjustable trac bar and do the steering and then she will pretty much be done on the front. Here are some pics. Fisrt is final mockup of the suspension, and the second is the explorer sitting on on the tires.

IM000395.jpg

IM000396.jpg

Sweet! Good Job! I bet it is a little scary with no Trac bar! Hows your driveshaft to Y pipe and Diff to crossmember clearance?

Kirby N. said:
Sweet! Good Job! I bet it is a little scary with no Trac bar! Hows your driveshaft to Y pipe and Diff to crossmember clearance?

Your tellin me i thought the damn thing was going to fall over getting the jackstands out. I havent checked the crossmember clearence yet. Ran out of time. it looks pretty close. may need to stepup to the coils your have. Your wana do me a favor kirby? after i get a track bar on there, you think i could test fit one of your 37's? I'll pay ya. I'm trying to keep it as low as i can and run 37's.

No need to pay me. Just let me know when you are ready. I just got a 38 from a friend for a spare that is worn out and really close to the 37s. I can bring that over or you can just try a couple of mine. Let me know when you are ready!

Kirby N. said:
No need to pay me. Just let me know when you are ready. I just got a 38 from a friend for a spare that is worn out and really close to the 37s. I can bring that over or you can just try a couple of mine. Let me know when you are ready!

Sweet thanks. I'll let ya know when im ready. That spare should work i just need to get an idea of how much room i have.

well here is the first test fit of a 38x12.50. Need to make some room for this thing. If I can make this fit then 37's shouldnt be a problem. I'm at about 6 inches of lift right now. After i put in my new coil seat i should be at about 7 inches. Dont really wana go any taller. So i need to start chopping up the fenders.

IM000398.jpg

IM000399.jpg

here is the fender after some triming. Still have a few more things to do but looks like they will fit.

IM000400.jpg

IM000401.jpg

Back