JoshC's chopped top with a roll cage | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JoshC's chopped top with a roll cage

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank ya fellas.

Josh whlie your at it, if you would take a few pics of the tube door latches and how you made them work, THANX!

Jeff - :navajo:

I will Jeff. Won't be until thursday evening till i'm able to get back in the garage though.

Sorry it took so long to get back. I've been working a frenzy to get it done to take it out tomorrow! I can't hardly wait. Going to be a bit cold in the morning though, down to mid 20s. Layers baby layers.

Anyways, here is a pic of the latches and of that out riggers that the a and b pillar are welded to. The D pillar is straight on top of the frame.

Attachments

• P1010364-1.jpg
    P1010364-1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 876
  • P1010370-1.jpg
    P1010370-1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 895

that is sooo sick!!!

:drool:
:drool:

Ohhh hell yeah, that's freaking sweet

Thanks fellas. My wheelin trip was great. The cage was so nice because it's open, i can see all around me and it made the rocks easier to navigate. It was a bit cold that morning, but the windshield blocked the wind most of the day and we had plenty of clothes. We did use the heater for a heavy duty hand warmer :D

Good god I've missed a bit here. Lookin' good Josh!

josh the cage looks great man. makes me jealouse because my explorer is my DD...

Josh, looks Great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But, I'd lose the carpeting, rhino line it ;) :D

Josh, do you still have the flares? I noticed they are not on the truck anymore :rolleyes:

nice josh....the door latches are sick and the whole cage build up is awesome. I dont know if this was asked awhile ago, but you rolled the explorer right, and thats why you did the cage and all. I went through your user gallery and only saw you layed it don on one side and thats it.

[QUOTE='97 V8] I dont know if this was asked awhile ago, but you rolled the explorer right, [/QUOTE]

You could say that :D

p101009916dh.jpg

p101010615ye.jpg

enough said. well i guess i see why you got the cage goin.

Lol, thanks fellas. Yeah just a bit of roll over. I actually was up there in my explorer a few weeks ago and i tipped my hat to the rock i rolled on.

Flares are gone cause the two on the drivers side were crushed. I loved those flares though.

Carpet is already gone, i took it out a couple of weeks ago.

I did find that i'm going to have to redo my seat belts. The DS is okay and i could live with it, but the PS is worth less, my brother couldn't use the shoulder belt, so i've gotta get that fixed. Other then that it was great, the windshield was awesome with blocking the wind on the road (between offroad sites) and thd door latches worked flawlessly too.

JoshC said:
I did find that i'm going to have to redo my seat belts. The DS is okay and i could live with it, but the PS is worth less, my brother couldn't use the shoulder belt, so i've gotta get that fixed. Other then that it was great, the windshield was awesome with blocking the wind on the road (between offroad sites) and thd door latches worked flawlessly too.

over on Pirate they have some 5 points for a pretty good deal. you should check it out ;)

Belt link

attachment.jpg

Wow that is a good deal, thanks for the link.

Well it's been a while and i've done some work to here getting her ready for the trip this weekend for the 10th Aniversary run in Crozet VA.

I had my top made last week and i love it! The guy did an awesome job. He used double thick vinal i think he called it. Same material that flat bed truckers use to cover there load. Really durable, doesn't stretch and hard to tear. I also made some rear exo cage parts welded to my sliders and then bolted to my rear bumper. I still need to tie it in to the frame to keep it from crushing in, but this is good enough for now. I'll probably end up hacking the fender up to make the line of the cage.

P1010573-1.jpg

P1010574-1.jpg

P1010575-1.jpg

P1010576-1.jpg

P1010577-1.jpg

P1010578-1.jpg

P1010579-1.jpg

So what do you think? Like i said i'm still working on it, but for this trip i'm done since i can't get anything else started! I want to do an exo for the front fenders too, but i don't know where i'd tie in to keep it from crushing, any ideas?

Can you run the tubes along the top of the fenders and then down in front of turn sig. then to that tubed bumper. May have to add some supports to bumper.

Is it just the pic but is that slider low? Or is it used as a step also. Looks great. Love that top.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back