Jrgaylor's 91 Explorer full width D44/9 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jrgaylor's 91 Explorer full width D44/9

Full Width Axle Swap

FRONT
Cage extended tubular radius arms
6 1/2" W/Winch BC Bronco springs
F-250 front shock mount (with 3/16” 2”X4” tube spacer) bolted and welded to frame
Rancho RS99261 shocks front
Superlift Adjustable Trac-Bar for 76-79 F100-F150 (Modified)
Superlift Extended brake lines for 89-97 RANGER, BRONCO II, 90-94 EXPLORER (Modified calipers)
Warn Premium hubs
Moog upper & lower ball joints
1 1/2" DOM draglink and tie rod with chevy TRE's
Yukon Superjoints
Yukon Chromoly Axles
Yukon Gears 4.86
ARB Air locker
Dana 44 from a 78 F-150
Stock 78 F-150 Coil Buckets (with 3/16” 2”X4” tube spacer) bolted and welded to frame
Stock 78 F-150 Trac Bar Mount (spaced out 1” bolted to steering gear box, weld to coil bucket and frame and welded gusset to frame)
Tie rod over knuckle conversion draglink and tie rod 1 1/2" DOM and Chevy tie rod ends

REAR
7" Long spring perch (spring over axle conversion)
Rancho RS99254 shocks rear (shock mounts stock 9” swapped side for side and welded to back side of axle)
Yukon gears 4.88
Yukon Chromoly Axles
ARB Air locker
James Duff 9” Skid plate
Stock 78 F-150 brake line
ARB Heavy Duty Airline Kit #HDAL

TIRES
Super Swamper IROK'S Radials 37X12.5-15

OTHER
ARB Air compressor mounted next to radiator
Stock 91 explorer front drive shaft 1310 u-joints
Stock 91 explorer rear shaft with extended slip yoke 1310 & 1310/1330 ******* U-joints

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AGAIN NO company makes front coils for that much lift, you will have to go with a coil-over set up front and back

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

jrgaylor said:
Should I paint my rims black?

Yes! SAS looks good man.

Scootr, you're better off going with leafs if you want massive lift. Also, try searching the site and starting a new thread instead of putting it in jrgaylor's.

Jrgaylor - I say paint the rims black, or better yet, listen to splodo49's suggestion....BEADLOCKS!! :D

scootr - If you really want to do that and ask questions, first search this site and pirate4x4.com, and then start a new thread to ask any other questions you have. No need to take up jrgaylor's thread. Oh, and 44s on a d44/9" combo is stupid. You might be able to get away with it on the 9" if you had the Moser 40 spline conversion = $$$$$, but I'd rather have a 14 bolt or 10.25" Ford rear, maybe even bigger than that.

Whatever ya'll say... and I'll search on here for some answers. But I've tried searching Pirate and it times out and sends me to a page cannot be displayed.

And I asked Jrgaylor because it looked to me that he used new leafs and I was just wondering what he was using to abtain that much lift.

And D44's will stand up to 44" tires, I've seen it. My buddy with the '77 has been running his Boggers for a long time now and he's played in it a lot.

And sorry Mitch that I didn't see your first post. And coil overs are a little expensive for me at this point, hell I can't even find a good place online to check them out. And yes they sell 46's, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw 46x19.5. There is even a 49" Irok, which I'm sure EVERYBODY has heard about at this point. And I will have a V8, at this point I don't know what size (either a 302, 351, or 460), but I've got a lead on a 460.

So I'll go back to searching, I just didn't want to start a new thread and get bashed for it.

Mickey

Tie rod and Draglink measurements

jrgaylor - I was wondering if you could take some measurements from your truck for me. I am running a very similar setup to yours and, in fact, have used some of your pictures as ideas for my sas build up. I want to order the trailproof steering setup from www.bulletproofsteering.com but need tie rod and draglink measurements. I am unable to do the measurements myself because I am still working on the axles and would like to order the parts so that I can get my Explorer up and running again before a semi-annual run here in Hawaii. I really appreciate your help!!

Here is the link on how to take the correct measurements if needed:
http://www.bulletproofsteering.com/crossovermeasurementform.html

Below is a diagram of the measurements:

Attachments

• img2841.gif
    img2841.gif
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,481

Remember I am using a spaced out trac bar mount and a drop pitman arm and have about 5" of lift in the front,So the only thing that is not a varible dependant on your setup is the tie rod length

tie rod 55 1/4"
draglink 37"
trac bar 36 1/4"
those are by how they would want you to measure them

Cool!! Thanks a bunch man!!! Hopefully someone else could use these measurements for their FW SAS!

I do

Hey im glad someone else is asking alot of questions. Cuz i need those measurements also but didnt want to bother anymore.. :confused:

Well im back and with some more questions. When you mounted your coil buckets. To the tubing then to the frame did you make them shorter or did you just mount them using the bent tab at the bottom just like it was stock? Also i am short one radius arm c-cap and i went to a junkyard today and found 2 but they wouldnt let me take them cuz that was the pile to be crushed. I was so pissed!!!! I also found some f-100 buckets and they wont let me take them off and they want around 100 for both.. I told them no thanks. But that just sucks i found 2 things i need and got shot down.

The idea of installing a full width crossed my mind... I'm just wondering if I'm gonna be too wide for regular trails... could always use different backspacing on the rims. One more thing... is it possible to go with less lift? I would want to keep it a tad below 6"...

great truck! :thumbsup:

hey scooter, buddy, truth be told, you cant run 44s on a D44...reliably, yeah you can drive it around on a D44, but muddin it you not going to be able to

trust me, ive been thru a jeep D30 and a ranger rear for my first SAS, this second SAS has a D44 and 14bolt rear, and the third one that is going in is a D60 front with the 14 bolt rear, which later on i may goto a D70 or D80 just to be safe, so i will be one of the few on here with a 1ton equiped explorer

as for the 46's are you talking about the mickeyT claws that the 46 size just came out in

as for the power required, it is possible with the 4.0 your just going to need to gear the axle right, most likely a 4.88 or 5.13 with a 46, roughly for a 39-44 is going to be 456-488 for gear selections, and also a heavy duty clutch(i have a ceramic in mine)

but if your going that big, you might as well go rockwells and be done with it, figure $1k for a pullout set of rockwells, another 800-1k for wheel brakes, whatever it costs to convert it over to leafs, front chevy springs are gonna cost about $300 for the pair, plus whatever the rears cost ya, plus about $100 for the perches for the axle, and then steering, ive been down the road of lifting my explorer a few times, after this lift, with purchase of vehicle, i will be in about $8k(and the truck was only 2200)

figure i would chuck in my few coins

Dre said:
The idea of installing a full width crossed my mind... I'm just wondering if I'm gonna be too wide for regular trails... could always use different backspacing on the rims. One more thing... is it possible to go with less lift? I would want to keep it a tad below 6"...

great truck! :thumbsup:

I have only about 5" of lift in the front, just don't cut down coil buckets :thumbsup:

splodo49 said:
Well im back and with some more questions. When you mounted your coil buckets. To the tubing then to the frame did you make them shorter or did you just mount them using the bent tab at the bottom just like it was stock? Also i am short one radius arm c-cap and i went to a junkyard today and found 2 but they wouldnt let me take them cuz that was the pile to be crushed. I was so pissed!!!! I also found some f-100 buckets and they wont let me take them off and they want around 100 for both.. I told them no thanks. But that just sucks i found 2 things i need and got shot down.

I placed a piece of 1/4" flat stock in between the tab and tube and it extends to under the frame, I welded the flat stock to the tab and bolted the flat stock to the frame.

jrgaylor thanks :. I think im gonna space mine down 1 inch and out the same amount you did also. I just tore out the stock buckets yesterday and cleaned that part of the frame. But i still need to go get steel. Also i found some radius arm extenions from bentandtwisted.com. Im purchasing those at the end of the month.So i shouldnt have to bend mine like you did. Also i have an extra set of arms so if anything goes wrong i have a back up. I think your build is a platform for alot of us future sasers. Thanks again for all the help. :thumbsup:

the nice thing about bending the radius arm is tire clearance, I have a tighter turnig radius than a XJ with the same size tire, I was following one yesterday and i noticed i could turn much easier than he.

good point. Maybee ill do both do you think that bending it makes it any weaker. And where did you actually bend it?(same spot where you would wrist it)

splodo49 said:
good point. Maybee ill do both do you think that bending it makes it any weaker. And where did you actually bend it?(same spot where you would wrist it)

About 19" back from the shock mount bolt

Dre, you can use 3.5" coils or 5.5" coils and get the same lift. I am running 5.5" wildhorse coils with full length 78 bronco buckets and got about 3.5" of lift. Did the springover in the rear to match.

Using the 78-79 dana 44 is a much harder sas conversion. If you take your time to get a pre 78 dana 44 with weld on wedges you can move the wedges and don't have to space out the buckets. Not to mention the flex is much better due to the coils being farther in on the axle.

Most trails are plenty wide enough for full width axles. Sometimes I have to make a three point turn on a tight radius, but that's the only problem.

Oh, and by the way, they have made a 56" IROK for over a year now.

thanks... I was considering going with a full width D44... cost of custom built axle is just out of the question for now. Early D35 out of a Jeep Wagoneer looked like a great candidate since I wanted to keep my 8.8 in the back.

Back