Jrgaylor's 91 Explorer full width D44/9 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jrgaylor's 91 Explorer full width D44/9

Full Width Axle Swap

FRONT
Cage extended tubular radius arms
6 1/2" W/Winch BC Bronco springs
F-250 front shock mount (with 3/16” 2”X4” tube spacer) bolted and welded to frame
Rancho RS99261 shocks front
Superlift Adjustable Trac-Bar for 76-79 F100-F150 (Modified)
Superlift Extended brake lines for 89-97 RANGER, BRONCO II, 90-94 EXPLORER (Modified calipers)
Warn Premium hubs
Moog upper & lower ball joints
1 1/2" DOM draglink and tie rod with chevy TRE's
Yukon Superjoints
Yukon Chromoly Axles
Yukon Gears 4.86
ARB Air locker
Dana 44 from a 78 F-150
Stock 78 F-150 Coil Buckets (with 3/16” 2”X4” tube spacer) bolted and welded to frame
Stock 78 F-150 Trac Bar Mount (spaced out 1” bolted to steering gear box, weld to coil bucket and frame and welded gusset to frame)
Tie rod over knuckle conversion draglink and tie rod 1 1/2" DOM and Chevy tie rod ends

REAR
7" Long spring perch (spring over axle conversion)
Rancho RS99254 shocks rear (shock mounts stock 9” swapped side for side and welded to back side of axle)
Yukon gears 4.88
Yukon Chromoly Axles
ARB Air locker
James Duff 9” Skid plate
Stock 78 F-150 brake line
ARB Heavy Duty Airline Kit #HDAL

TIRES
Super Swamper IROK'S Radials 37X12.5-15

OTHER
ARB Air compressor mounted next to radiator
Stock 91 explorer front drive shaft 1310 u-joints
Stock 91 explorer rear shaft with extended slip yoke 1310 & 1310/1330 ******* U-joints

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

landbruiser1 said:
So when is the next trip to Elbe?? :p

You know I was going to PM to see when you wanted to go, I am pretty much ready to go, and I assume you got your rig fixed. there is the work party at bernies on the 17th so maybe the 24 or 1st. work has been busy lately 6 days a week so I will get to the work party in the afternoon, but after next weekend I will have done the required amount of working saturdays for the month.
It won't be long before elbe is slick as snot again.

Oh and welcome to explore forum I don't know if you have been lurking for awhile or not but you will not see what you were not wanting to see on the other forum :D here

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sounds good. And yeah I have been lurking around this forum for a few weeks and I am liking what I see. even though I drive a Landcruiser. I am ready for Elbe anytime, I should be buying my new winch by this weekend. Anybody got a used one they want to get rid of???

Man that looks great I have a reverse front 44 and a standard rear 44 from an F150 76 model and I was wondering if you couldplease send me anything that you have to help me along as far as sudjestions for my 92 navajo swap I do want to do the leaf over in the rear but I have the super lift 4" lift will this hurt . and did you use the original 4" lift coils for the TTB on the front after the swap. What did you use to reinforce the frame when you took out the TTB brackets

Went to the alignment shop today to get my rig spec'd and here is the results
left camber + 5/8*
left caster + 8 3/4*
right camber +1/8*
right caster +8 1/2*
total toe +3/32"

Spec is caster +3* to +6 1/2*
total toe 0" to 1/16"

I am using 6.5* c-bushings

So your out of specs just a bit?

splodo49 said:
So your out of specs just a bit?

not enough to worry about,When I bring the front up 1 1/2" to be level with the back, caster should be about right, on the top end of the scale.

What size and backspacing are your wheels?
also i didnt see any pics that show your bent radius arms

Thanks

In this picture it seems that your tie rod will hit your trac bar mount when flexed. Does it? And what is the measurement of that trac bar mount below your frame?

attachment.php

The trac bar does not hit the tie rod, when I first put on the trac bar mount I had a factory trac bar that had a bend at the end, and I lined up the trac bar and dranklink to be parrell but when I got the new superlift trac bar they are not in phase by a small bit.
I will take a measurement tonight after I get home

from the bottom of the frame to the bolt hole is 5 1/8"

Thanks for the info! Where'd you get that trac bar mount I got one from Broncograveyard and it looks totally different.

Also when you did you drag link measurement, was it from your pitman arm to where it meets the tie rod or all the way just above the knuckle?

My trac bar bracket is a stock 78 tracbar bracket, the truck I got had dual shocks on it and the front shock bracket was part of the trac bar bracket I then added some gussets for strength because it is so much lower than stock

When i ripped out the parts from the bronco I didn't bother grabbing the tra bar mount. Wished I did!

What about the draglink measurement question? Was it from the pitman arm to the tie rod or all the way to the knuckle?

ok i have a few questions

1 what did you do about your driveshafts
2 what coils did u use
3 what about rear spings

any info would be good i have the same as you have out of a 78 f-150 so its really cloese to what i want except i want 36s and a bit higher

Wow man, did you look at anything? :confused:

1. I don't know if he posted it in here, but he first used the stock driveshafts with a longer slip yoke, but it was a bit short, so he ended up having a new one built for 165 or so.

2. Wild Horses 4x4 5.5" coils

3. Basic SOA

Just an FYI, a newer company called "CAGE Offroad" has a set of 5.5" coils for EB's (same vehicle as the WH) and they're 110 compared to 150 like the WH ones. I've seen flex shots and the CAGE coils really have some nice flex, but it's never been tested with the same setup. They both are supposed to be awesome coils though.

ohe_boy said:
What about the draglink measurement question? Was it from the pitman arm to the tie rod or all the way to the knuckle?

I don't remember which I gave you, I will remeasure tomorrow.

I got my WH springs for I think $90 because when they started getting the springs in the blue color the logo was off centered.
I would be willing to bet that the cage and WH springs are made by the same company

I ordered my new tires last night 37x12.5-15 IROK's and will be heading over to friend house this weekend to do a little bit of nipping with the plasma cutter

IM001453a.jpg

Attachments

• IM001451.JPG
    IM001451.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,076
  • IM001452.JPG
    IM001452.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,078
  • IM001455a.JPG
    IM001455a.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,068

That just looks freakin' AWESOME Joe! I hope they work out well for you! :thumbsup:

that sure is a lot of rubber... have you considered going with beadlocks??? or even 16 or 17" for that matter? these tires will get a lot of flex when you air-down... looks good though... looks good. :thumbsup:

Back