Just bought an 03, pick up Friday... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought an 03, pick up Friday...

Am3gross

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer xlt
Just signed all the papers tonight, I thought i got a pretty good deal.

2003xlt, 4.0 motor, 4x4.. 117000 miles.. Here is what the dealer is fixing.

New oil and filter
New trans fluid and filter
New transfer case fluid
4 new tires
New rack and pinion
Drivers side control module ( for the windows and locks)

Now here is the list that I will have to do on my own...

New plugs and wires
New right rear wheel bearing
And they said that the timing chain will need to be replaced soon...

Now like I said I thought I got a good deal... Until I started reading about the timing chain replacement... To my ignorance I thought it would be just the chain in front, you know take the balencer off, the water pump, the cover and then bam, timing chain... But I am getting the feeling that is not the case here for the explorer...

What did I get myself into...?

I am sure that I will be asking lots of questions... I am pretty handy with the tools as I work on helicopters for the navy, so I am sure that what ever arises i am pretty competent to handle... Just wish I would have researched this a little more before I pulled the trigger!

So before I ask to many repeated questions I am off to do some research, or should I say more research!

Later for now,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I got to pick it up a day early! Yay me! New tires are loud, I am sure they will quiet done with some break in, the steering is tight, the alignment is awesome... So far I only have one complaint.... I did not notice it on the test drive, but I sure notice it now. S here is my question...

How do you get the smell of b.o out of the vehicle? The dealership cleaned the inside out really well, but the smell is still there.. I put some air freshness in there tonight.. But what will get the smell out?

Well I got to pick it up a day early! Yay me! New tires are loud, I am sure they will quiet done with some break in, the steering is tight, the alignment is awesome... So far I only have one complaint.... I did not notice it on the test drive, but I sure notice it now. S here is my question...

How do you get the smell of b.o out of the vehicle? The dealership cleaned the inside out really well, but the smell is still there.. I put some air freshness in there tonight.. But what will get the smell out?

if you have a carpet cleaner machine for your home, use that. If not try the ones at the car wash. DO NOT use on the headliner because it may disolve the glue that holds it up. chances are the majority of the smell will be in the cloth seats...

if you have a carpet cleaner machine for your home, use that. If not try the ones at the car wash. DO NOT use on the headliner because it may disolve the glue that holds it up. chances are the majority of the smell will be in the cloth seats...

I have the carpet cleaner and I did plan on using that this weekend... Thanks for the advice on the headliner...!

I have had a few cars with funky smells when I bought them. I would always put a few dryer sheets in the floor vent and turn the heat to high. I would let it run like that for about 30 min or so with the doors and windows closed. When I came back aired it out and took dryer sheets out of vent. The smell ussualy has been taken care of.

If the truck still starts and runs there is no point to replace the timing chains, guides, and tensioners, it requires removing the engine to access the chain that drives the passenger side cam. I would assume that most people wait until it gets really bad or one of the chains/guides fail. Either you can hear the slack and you know it's going to fail or it just fails and then your stuck. The problem is if it fails when the engine is running you will ruin the valves since the 4.0 is an interference design, thus adding a valve job to the repair. The question is how bad of shape are they really in. If the engine is making chain noises all the time then its bad. In most cases the truck will create "chain rattle" between 2400-3000rpm when the engine is colder. You can clearly hear it coming from the passenger side of the truck when driving. Most earlier 4.0Ls, usually ones before 03 will have some sort of rattle at your mileage.

I just bought an '03, with the the timing issues, thought I could get away with just replacing the timing system, low and behold, I now have a new engine on the way, if they need to be replaced, don't be fooled because they start and drive, I bought the new timing system chains, cassettes, gears, oil pump(Hard to find) timing tool and gasket kits, am in the process of selling them all, and will have a new engine here on Wednesday to install in the '03.

Mine ran like a champ, but once we tore it down had many issues, more than I was willing to deal with, hence the new engine. I am an ASE Master Mechanic, and I am amazed the Ford put this engine out, But that said, I love the car it fits my lifestyle, but man, this last couple of weeks has been a challenge!

:thumbdwn:

I just bought an '03, with the the timing issues, thought I could get away with just replacing the timing system, low and behold, I now have a new engine on the way, if they need to be replaced, don't be fooled because they start and drive, I bought the new timing system chains, cassettes, gears, oil pump(Hard to find) timing tool and gasket kits, am in the process of selling them all, and will have a new engine here on Wednesday to install in the '03.

Mine ran like a champ, but once we tore it down had many issues, more than I was willing to deal with, hence the new engine. I am an ASE Master Mechanic, and I am amazed the Ford put this engine out, But that said, I love the car it fits my lifestyle, but man, this last couple of weeks has been a challenge!

:thumbdwn:

Hey MT explorer, do you know if you fly wheel is 6 or 8 bolts? when you are going to change your new engine could you please keep this in mind and let us know? thanks

Yes you just dont know I just purchase a 2003 XLT I paid 4000 dollars for it and now its sitting in my parking lot broke down from timing chain problems.Ford wants 2400 dollars to fix it and besides Ford no one will work on it around here in Louisville for you have to pull the engine.I have the car lot I got it from in small claim court but I took car as is hope they will make him fix it.

Damn, any signs before it went or did it just go?

I'm ok with pulling the motor, looks pretty easy. What I would hope is that when the time comes I will be able to pull the motor, do the rework and when it comes time for the timing just taking the motor to ford and have them do the timing...

Has any one takin just the motor to ford for them to work on?

If I am going to pay 2200-2400 for them to do the timing gears then I mise well just buy a new motor

Back