Just had my transmission rebuilt at 220,000 miles! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just had my transmission rebuilt at 220,000 miles!

glenn1964

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
I bought my 2003 Explorer 4.6L with 200,000 miles on it from a friend. He gave me a good deal as it needed a lot of work. I was not surprised when the transmission started having problems. On my way to the smoky mountains for Thanksgiving I started having shifting issues and the check engine light came on. I kept on going... heck I was more than half way there anyway. We drove without 2nd or 5th gear for several days in the mountains without any real problems! (it did take a little bit of pumping of the gas to get the thing to shift)

When we got back to Raleigh I had the code read and it was a solenoid failure. Next stop was to Mikes Transmission in Garner. He did a total rebuild including upgrading the internal fluid pumping capability along with drilling out and sleaving the solenoid ports.

Mike is no spring chicken and he said that was the worst he had ever seen the ports on that transmission.

It cost $2800 but I love my Explorer!!!!

That's a good long life behind a v8. 2800 bucks is serious love. But its worth it sometimes to stick with something you know about vs getting rid of it for a mystery vehicle. I found a guy last year comfortable with 5r55's and have a better feel g about where to go when I need one built.

I hope I see 220k out of mine!! I have 110k and so far no issues at all with the transmission. Mine did have a shift selonoid replaced early in its life under warranty, bot no issues since. As a matter of fact, rear wheel bearing is the only "major" repair so far. :) My friend has an '05 Honda Pilot that blew its tranny @160k. No warning either, it literally starting locking up during his morning commute to work. And he maintained it like crazy...

Back