K & N air filters and some Q's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K & N air filters and some Q's

alphabets13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer Premier
anyone with a k&n tell me how they like it? I had one in my accord and it was great. also is there any exhaust tips out there for a 96 xlt? I had a pacesetter catback in my accord but I don't know if I want to spend all that money for a performance exhaust for the explorer. maybe just add a tip to make it look sharp. any suggestions? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a k&n can only help, but you should really check out a kkm www.kustomz.com - theyre a favorite around here. i have one and i like it :)

I have a K&N drop-in and it definately improved thorottle response.

tbomb, do you think it's better than the k&n?

Hi-May I suggest modifying your airbox and buy a K&N filter to drop in. Many of us have drilled holes in our stock airboxes and used a drop in. I've had one in my '91 since they came out with one for my Explorer. Works well! I have a spare which is always cleaned and ready to pop in. I bought the second one off a member who sold it to me for $25. I also saw filters similar to K&N sold by Mac Products for about half the price of the K&N. You may want to check them out. I got my replacement rear end cover from them. It has both filler and drain holes and looks like the Ford Motorsport SVT rear covers. Hope this helps!

Originally posted by alphabets13
tbomb, do you think it's better than the k&n?

well, i think theres a couple of things that you can do that would all give you pretty close results in the end.

you could get a kkm.

you get a k&n fipk.

you could just get a k&n drop in and modify your airbox (drill a couples in it.)

all these are gonna help maximize air flow. the only reason the kkm might be a little bit better idea is because it has more surface area, letting in more air, and you wont have to clean it as often (though, for as frequently as an air filter needs to be cleaned, you probably wont notice the difference in cleaning intervals between a kkm and one of the other options.)

K&N FIPK Gen II

What do you guys think about the Gen II filters...they are supposed to be cold air intakes. Do they really help that much? They are close to $260 at most places so I was wondering why they are so high priced and if it is really worth the extra $160 over the KKM. Anybody have one?

I have a K&N drop in, and love it. Pulled the intake cover completely off (it just has press in studs to remove), and then wrapped the edge of the K&N with about 3 layers of duct tape so that I could use the factory clamp to hold it on. It doesn't bounce around, and gives plenty of air. Granted, it's warm air from the engine bay, but I can't imagine that it would be too hard to go ahead an use a piece of dryer hose over the filter itself to run a "ram air" intake into the grill. Sure was easy to pull the intake cover off! Big difference in throttle response.

Douglas

How do you guys feel about these when offroading in sand?? Big no no:nono: or what?

ok.. this may be a dumb question.. but how do you take the bottom half of the filter box out? it was kindof dark when i was looking tonight, but it looks it attaches from below the box. i assume i could drill/cut it while its attached still, but it seems like it would be easier if it was out. does it just pull out if i yank or what? thanks!

I wasn't sure how to get this out either. I just yanked and broke it. It does just pull out of the bottom mounts but is attached to the fender somehow. This is of course if you have the cylindrical type.

Believe it or not, they're just press in studs into the bottom of the box. they're tight, but they will come out with a little work. probably would help if you waited till it was a little warmer so that the plastic doesn't break.

to answer the sand question; it would be better than a stock paper filter. the K&N traps particles much smaller than a paper filter does. you just may have to clean it more often.

Thats what I though until I read this post from "Sport (no trac)"

Sorry....it's long.

"RTStork, funny, that's the same exact thing I did with mine, right down to measuring the filter's extension into the lower box. The only other step I took was to sand the newly cut edges for a factory look.

Al, I 'aint no skientist, but I guts a test for ya. Yo, Alec, you betta pay attention to this too...

If you read the various tests, K&N and the rest swear that their filters clean as thoroughly as a paper filter, but do so more efficiently. Tell me something, does that make sense? In order for air to flow more freely, there have to be either more and/or larger passages for air to pass. This must mean that the possibility for dust, etc to pass through must be greater in the free flowing filters. I did find a scientific study that alluded to this also, but I don't remember where it is, so I can't refer you there. I also had this very same discussion with a buddy of mine who also has an X with a K&N filter. I couldn't refer him to the test I found either, so we did our own.

His X is a 96 with a conical filter set up, and mine is an '01 with the panel filter. Unfortunately I don't have a K&N filter so I used the factory airbox from my '88 Mustang 5.0 which does have a K&N and is similar to my X's.

What we did was remove he air boxes from the MAS sensors and installed paper filters in each. To the MAS end of the box we installed a shop vac with duct (that's duct not duck!) tape between the vac hose and air box. This way the sticky side would catch any pass through. We also put a wide and heavy strip of rubber cement on the inside of the air box after the filter which was also planned to catch any by-pass through the filters. Next grabbed a large box, one big enough to hold the air boxes and we put about a cup and 1/2 each of sand, sugar, pepper and baby powder (hey, you use what ya got) to represent the various sizes and consistencies of the debris your X might encounter on the road. Next we put the air boxes in the box, turned on the vaccuum and shook things up. What do you think we found?

The duct tape caught nothing in either case, which I assume is because the glue is not tacky to the touch. The rubber cement, on the other hand told a better story. The strip behind the paper filters was very clean, with only traces of baby powder. The K&Ns, on the other hand showed much more baby powder as well as traces of salt, sand and sugar, well at this point we couldn't tell the difference between the sugar and salt, but there was some on the rubber cement strip nonetheless. Now, there wasn't a lot, but there was some. Take from this what you will, but it was enough to satisfy me that there is pass-through. For your own test, hold the K&N up to the sun and tell me what you see. I noticed pinpoints of light.

There is no denying the power advantages of the K&N filters, but the power comes at a price. Alec didn't notice any junk in his flow pipe, but maybe thats because it was inhaled into his cylinders. Matter of fact, if you do a search on this topic you will find someone who said the exact opposite and puts his stock box in when he goes offroad.

As far as over-oiling the K&N to prevent pass-through, well, some of that oil gets sucked in and becomes a deposit on the MAS and changes the sensor readings. There have been plenty of posts on that also."

damn. cant really argue with that. prob. be a good idea to have a stock airbox laying around for off-road. i was under the impression that the K&N did have bigger passages, but over-compensated for this with the oil that magnetically trapped the dirt. and i do know that you DONT over oil the filter:nono: especially in a mass air engine. it will throw the sensor off. i know this from fact, had to clean one on a friends 94 'stang.

Here's an article on an test performed on a K&N air filter vs. a OEM BMW air filter - Dead Link Removed.

Draw you own conclusions.

All,
After reading many posts on this site, I went with the K&N FIPK simply because KMM was closed last week. Install was simple. It only took about 45 minutes because I knew excatly what I would need tool wise(Ex: Torx 20). Thanks to everyone for the great info on this site!

I had noticable gains in pickup as well as throttle responce. The engine is slightly louder, but not overwhelming. The only problem that I encountered is the check engine light is now on. Is this normal?

I have a superchip comming tomorrow and I will let you know my performance increases.

L8,

Matt

Where can I find a K&N FIPK for a 1996 V6 online?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back