KC's Timing chain thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KC's Timing chain thread

I've not had to go through a chain tensioner replacement, but KC- these pics are really, really good. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another update - 3 of 4

Got quite abit done today. Had to remove my lower intake and the thingy that I dont know what to call it... Its the black box that sends coolant from the pump into or out of the block.

I formed the front cassette and took a pic of new/old side by side. The new one has slightly different sprockets and the chain looked slightly shorter, but I believe thats because of chain stretch in the old one. Getting the old cassette out of the head was not fun, same with putting the new one in lol

IMG_1287small.jpg

As for the balanceshaft. I tried unbolting the tensioner but ended up rounding the star heads horribly. I then tried taking out the balanceshaft sprocket bolt but stopped after I felt the head start to strip. I hate dealing with torx/star so I didnt even touch the sprocket after that.

As for the tensioner, I had to twist, wedge and jam the new spring piece onto the old tensioner bracket. Didnt break and it works lol.

IMG_1294small.jpg

Put the crank-jack timing chain on with new tensioner guide. I didnt replace the chain because my kit didnt come with the sprockets. Looking at the jackshaft sprocket I could already tell it wasnt going to be a cheap one. The assembly is tight with the new tensioner and guide, even with the spring being held back by the pin.

IMG_1295small.jpg

The new front cam cassette.

IMG_1299small.jpg

Nothing is torqued yet. I still need to get a torque wrench.

lower guide bolt

Be careful when working with the thermostat plastic housing. It can crack and leak and is expensive to replace.

You should torque the left guide assembly lower mounting bolt before installing the jackshaft sprocket. The hole thru the jackshaft sprocket may not allow access to the mounting bolt.

I believe you are the second member that has posted about successfully replacing the balance shaft chain tensioner leaves without removing the base.

Damn lol Ill have to have a good look over the housing. Accidentally dropped it, not high tho but still Ill be checking for cracks.

I personally dont like the balance shaft, I know Im not the only one. I cant time it because I cant get the sprocket loose, but it shouldnt need to be timed. The chain is short enough that without traction guide and spring tensioner it still cant skip or come off the sprocket. So it should be timed with the crank still.

My biggest hopes are that the new plastic guides and tensioners hold up. Especially on the first engine start. Before I put the timing/valve covers back on I want to pour enough oil to coat the new components. I know that it takes awhile for the engine to circulate oil and Im worried the dry plastic pieces will just get shredded in those few seconds. I think I might invest in one of those pre-oilers later on.

Prefill the oil filter

. . .
My biggest hopes are that the new plastic guides and tensioners hold up. Especially on the first engine start. Before I put the timing/valve covers back on I want to pour enough oil to coat the new components. I know that it takes awhile for the engine to circulate oil and Im worried the dry plastic pieces will just get shredded in those few seconds. I think I might invest in one of those pre-oilers later on.

When you replace the engine oil filter fill it with oil before installation. The filter mounts vertically so none will run out. It reduces the time the engine runs without oil pressure at start up.

The balance shaft timing is important - I believe mine is off, leading to a vibration. I will have to pull the engine back out to be sure.

Dead!?!?

See Photo Below

Dead!?!?

I was reading along.. and thread just ended lol How did everything go back together? Did it start right up? Did you Hear any timing Components at start up?

I wasn't aware the balance shaft had to be timed.. But im just beginning this job, Will document and post pictures and more videos in my Thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324486) once i get the parts.

I believe my primary Tensioner blew up also damaging my Balance Shaft Tensioner and Guide.. Have yet to to remove the left Valve Cover.. But i can see part of what looks like the left cassette guide behind my primary chain between the Jackshaft and Crank.

Green Arrow Indicates Broke guide from what im assuming it to be from left Cassette.. Correct if Wrong
th_IMG_2318.jpg

Photo Below Shoes Broken Primary Tension'er that i believe Exploded as yours did
IMG_2316.jpg

Lol Apart from a dead battery it started perfect. Ran better and quieter too.

The balance shaft can be timed yes, but unless you can get the sprocket loose to time it there isnt much you can do. I just left mine - no unusual vibrations here.

Primary tensioners are more common to blow then the rest. Just looking at the flimsy 3leaf makes you understand why. What I believe is when the primary blows, the springs shoot down and pretty much destroys the balance shaft tensioner.

Now that green arrow... Looks like the left cassettes, not sure. I guess 98s didnt have metal supporting the cassette yet because that one looks different then mine.

Left Cassette

Now that green arrow... Looks like the left cassettes, not sure. I guess 98s didnt have metal supporting the cassette yet because that one looks different then mine.

Yeah.. Thats why i "think" its part of the left Cassette but looks different then the Left Guide cassettes i have seen. The chain on that side is still pretty Taught so im guessing the slack side broke. There is Two Pieces that im assuming came from left cassette the other piece you cant see in the photo.

Lol Apart from a dead battery it started perfect. Ran better and quieter too.

The balance shaft can be timed yes, but unless you can get the sprocket loose to time it there isnt much you can do. I just left mine - no unusual vibrations here.

Primary tensioners are more common to blow then the rest. Just looking at the flimsy 3leaf makes you understand why. What I believe is when the primary blows, the springs shoot down and pretty much destroys the balance shaft tensioner.

I put a 2wd engine in mine -- I moved the balance shaft over from my old engine. There are marks on it that should lined up when installing, I can only assume they are installed when the engine is at TDC? I've never been able to find conclusive instructions on timing the balance shaft.

Back