Kenne Bell supercharged 5.0 Explorer... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kenne Bell supercharged 5.0 Explorer...

just installed the kenne bell on my explorer. Two questions, can you help on the maker of your snout or at least the measurements. If I am right, looks like 11in from end to end of pulley and also maybe the power steering bracket. The bracket I can work on but the snout is a big problem. Can't find anyone around here. Thank you, paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just installed the kenne bell on my explorer. Two questions, can you help on the maker of your snout or at least the measurements. If I am right, looks like 11in from end to end of pulley and also maybe the power steering bracket. The bracket I can work on but the snout is a big problem. Can't find anyone around here. Thank you, paul
that was a picture he found. more then likely for reference. you might have to call kenne bell and see if they have any info you need, or if your lucky any old parts kicking around on a shelf.

The Kenne Belle kit that the original poster used was the SN95 kit, for 1994/95 Mustangs. That has a longer snout than the Fox Mustang kit. You should be able to buy some new snouts from Kenne Belle. I haven't looked at their site in a long while, thy used to cost in the range of $300 at least.

So start with their site or call them, tell them what length your snout is and then they can help with knowing which is about 2" shorter.
I built my '89 Mustang around a KB 2.2L with Blowzilla/Flowzilla manifolds. I did very unconventional things doing this build and found Kenne Bell very helpful when I needed their input. They even questioned me about the mods/additions I made to their kit and didn't cop an attitude for doing so like many aftermarket performance companies do. The big question is if they still make parts for the 5.0L pushrod engines.

Their website used to list the snouts and the descriptions included the lengths. I don't recall how long the Fox 302 snout or the SN95 snout was, you probably have the longer Fox snout length.

I will need the shortest length for my custom location(forward as much as possible to make more room for the inlet behind). So the shortest Cobra snout is what I've aimed at, those are in the 5.5" range.

The big eBay seller of superchargers is also a decent source of used parts, Jon Bond is the name I believe. Their site shows a 185mm snout and a 270mm snout. Note they are made with different drive gear types etc, you have to be careful to get the type which fits your blower.

every one that is helping out with my snout problem is great, but most tell me to call kenne bell. well I tell you the suck. customer service is terrible and tech service says no on any question I have so you send 4000.00 to maybe 8000.00 with them and get no we don't have that or can't help you. bad business.

They are hesitant to help with applications that they have no kit for, they will help some people and not others. I agree, you have to talk with them in a certain way, and be lucky sometimes. Try Jon Bond, they seem to be more helpful.

every one that is helping out with my snout problem is great, but most tell me to call kenne bell. well I tell you the suck. customer service is terrible and tech service says no on any question I have so you send 4000.00 to maybe 8000.00 with them and get no we don't have that or can't help you. bad business.
I hope you get Twin Screwed!

I call BS on this. I have always had great service over twenty years with KB. I call with good, relevant questions for which I have researched and get help with what I want. The fitment of the unit should be the first thing you confirmed.

I see KB is selling Supercharger Drives, but they do not list the lengths. I bet you could call and get help with the lengths of the drives. Be nice, tell them what you are trying to do, and know the length you need. You would be lucky to find one in the length you need.

I have gotten lucky on Ebay at times for KB stuff.

I just bought a new snout bracket from Kenne Bell. They've recently reinstated their support for the pushrod 5.0L. It wasn't cheap, but I needed the part pretty badly. I can see how it could turn into an unproductive conversation with the staff there. I sense that they kind of consider themselves to be supercharger elites and you can tell, so the advice to be nice and specific will go a long way with them.

They are hesitant to help with applications that they have no kit for, they will help some people and not others. I agree, you have to talk with them in a certain way, and be lucky sometimes. Try Jon Bond, they seem to be more helpful.
Thank you

Thank you
Let me be strait, You are talking crap about a great company.

Did you spend the money on a kit and then not get service?

Did you buy used and not check fitment?

Did you buy used and expect service from KB?

14 messages here , you get help and talk crap! I don't think you know what you are doing!

Did you call-up and expect them to tell you what would fit when they do not have an Explorer kit?

Did you talk to KB as you write here, kinda legible but not near English!

My interactions with KB were always positive and helpful. If someone is trying to get something for nothing then the outcome might be different. Or the people who are there now are not the same people I encountered in the early 2000s.

Let me be strait, You are talking crap about a great company.

Did you spend the money on a kit and then not get service?

Did you buy used and not check fitment?

Did you buy used and expect service from KB?

14 messages here , you get help and talk crap! I don't think you know what you are doing!

Did you call-up and expect them to tell you what would fit when they do not have an Explorer kit?

Did you talk to KB as you write here, kinda legible but not near English!
just to let you know, you are a dumb ass. I am fabricating this on my explorer so just asking input to help my fabrication. I only ask kb for an option of snouts, and they gave me a very cold shoulder. buying their product for that kind of money should have better service. so like i said, just a fabrication application. you don't even know me or what I can even do so how can you judge me.

I can inquire with my friends to see if someone can machine a snout, but rest assured that it's not going to be cheap! Have you exhausted the possibility of using an existing snout? Either the Fox or SN95 snout should be somewhat adaptable, but I would assume that it would be the SN95 version since the accessory drive for that design is much closer to the engine block, similar to the Explorer accessory drive.

I can inquire with my friends to see if someone can machine a snout, but rest assured that it's not going to be cheap! Have you exhausted the possibility of using an existing snout? Either the Fox or SN95 snout should be somewhat adaptable, but I would assume that it would be the SN95 version since the accessory drive for that design is much closer to the engine block, similar to the Explorer accessory drive.
Yes I am using the existing snout and found a machine shop to do it. Thank you

This is likely an option for you if the machining of the snout is too difficult or expensive. The kit I bought used came with a crank pulley. The supercharger drive was long enough to run out in front of the accessories. I had the crank pulley/damper machined to fit the additional pulley and line it up with the supercharger pulley. It was not cheap but very doable.

Running a separate supercharger pulley does make it easy to change the blower pulley and the belt wraps 180 degrees around the blower pulley. There is no slippage. I did have to replace the stock fan with a spacer and flex fan to clear the belt.

Not at all sorry for calling you out over KB! Good luck!

This is likely an option for you if the machining of the snout is too difficult or expensive. The kit I bought used came with a crank pulley. The supercharger drive was long enough to run out in front of the accessories. I had the crank pulley/damper machined to fit the additional pulley and line it up with the supercharger pulley. It was not cheap but very doable.

Running a separate supercharger pulley does make it easy to change the blower pulley and the belt wraps 180 degrees around the blower pulley. There is no slippage. I did have to replace the stock fan with a spacer and flex fan to clear the belt.

Not at all sorry for calling you out over KB! Good luck!
Thank you

I have a mostly complete design of mounting brackets that totally integrates the venerable Contour dual fan assembly to the Ex radiator. The Contour fans keep my supercharged 5.0L cool with the AC running in southern Arizona, so that may be an option for you if the mech fan is consuming valuable real estate.

I have a mostly complete design of mounting brackets that totally integrates the venerable Contour dual fan assembly to the Ex radiator. The Contour fans keep my supercharged 5.0L cool with the AC running in southern Arizona, so that may be an option for you if the mech fan is consuming valuable real estate.
For sale or just an option. Do you have pics?? . Thanks

For sale or just an option. Do you have pics?? . Thanks
I will exhume the design files from my workstation and post some pics this weekend. I had designed them in anticipation of installing Contour fans on my own engine, but I ended up just reusing the stock fan because I have not tested the EEC-V dual fan output control yet. The stock fan seems to cool the high performance engine I built just fine, even with the AC on and in 100 degree ambient heat, but I still think I may do the swap eventually. It's a pretty tight fit for anything in the engine compartment, so I admit to procrastinating on this one due to the effort involved in altering things.

If you were interested in them I could cut them out on the water jet and the only cost would be shipping and a minimal amount of material for the mounting brackets. The design completely enshrouds the radiator for a perfect fit and maximum cooling capacity. Those Contour fans will overcool the engine when both are running at 100% DC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will exhume the design files from my workstation and post some pics this weekend. I had designed them in anticipation of installing Contour fans on my own engine, but I ended up just reusing the stock fan because I have not tested the EEC-V dual fan output control yet. The stock fan seems to cool the high performance engine I built just fine, even with the AC on and in 100 degree ambient heat, but I still think I may do the swap eventually. It's a pretty tight fit for anything in the engine compartment, so I admit to procrastinating on this one due to the effort involved in altering things.

If you were interested in them I could cut them out on the water jet and the only cost would be shipping and a minimal amount of material for the mounting brackets. The design completely enshrouds the radiator for a perfect fit and maximum cooling capacity. Those Contour fans will overcool the engine when both are running at 100% DC.
yes please and payment can be paypal or we can come up with an idea. thanks again

Back