Key will not work. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key will not work.

ahern

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer SportT
Hello everyone, I need some help. I have a 2001 Ford SportTrac. We had two keys for it. One stopped working so we continued to use the one. Well, we lost the only key that would start our truck. So now we are stuck with a key that will not turn the engine over. I stick it in the ignition and everything seems good until I turn it all the way over to start the truck up and everything shuts off. Lights, the little buzz sound, etc. I am lost as to what to do. I went to Walmart to have a key made from the only key we had left but the same, it goes in and all seems well until I turn it over to crank and everything turns off and nothing. What do I need to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like your question is answered, if you would like more info do a search for PATS (Passive Anti Theft System). There is no easy way/fix ^^^ dealer or a locksmith that's invested in equipment that can program new keys into ford vehicles.

here's one interesting thread that may show what may have broken
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268816

I lost my keys one day also,had to get towed to ford,new keys made and programmed for 75 bucks each and they only do pairs. only to find my keys 4 hours after I got the truck home, now the old keys dont work and the new keys dont work the door locks or the tailgate. certainly a pain in the arse

pickupman-69 since you have 2 working keys from Ford now, you can also program the old keys back in yourself.
that link in the previous post explains how to add keys to the PATS system (providing you have 2 working keys already)

(EDIT: unless ford re-keyed the ignition cylinder also)

Ford shouldn't have re-keyed anything since they have the cut codes from VIN.

pickupman-69 since you have 2 working keys from Ford now, you can also program the old keys back in yourself.
that link in the previous post explains how to add keys to the PATS system (providing you have 2 working keys already)

(EDIT: unless ford re-keyed the ignition cylinder also)

really? thats sweet ill check it out to save carrying extra keys around.thanks

Back