Key won't start vehicle / steering | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key won't start vehicle / steering

Nbaylot46

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 ford explorer xlt
Hi I'm new to the explorer world! Just purchased our 2011 ford explorer. We love it so far!

I have two questions about the vehicle.

1) sometimes when we turn the key the vehicle won't crank or even try. The lights come on just like it would when it will crank.

2) we went around a corner one time and the steering went out.

Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You sound like you have a power steering issue which some others have experienced, involved replacing the whole electrical steering system. The other problem with your key not cranking the engine is probably a bad relay/ wire.

Hi I'm new to the explorer world! Just purchased our 2011 ford explorer. We love it so far!

1) sometimes when we turn the key the vehicle won't crank or even try. The lights come on just like it would when it will crank.

Welcome to the Forum Nbaylot46.:wavey:
Since you have to use a key, I'm guessing it isn't a Limited model. It would help if you added the model of the Explorer to your profile so it shows up in the left margin. As for not always starting, it sounds like it could be a bad ignition switch or contacts or relay as 1995E stated.
The steering is another issue that affected quite a few of the 2011 and 2012 models. There is a 35 page thread on that;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320445&highlight=steering

Peter

Hi Nbaylot46,

I recommend returning to your dealership so they can look into this for you. Once you've had your appointment, touch base with me via PM so I can check out some options to help as well. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Welcome to the Forum Nbaylot46.:wavey:
Since you have to use a key, I'm guessing it isn't a Limited model. It would help if you added the model of the Explorer to your profile so it shows up in the left margin. As for not always starting, it sounds like it could be a bad ignition switch or contacts or relay as 1995E stated.
The steering is another issue that affected quite a few of the 2011 and 2012 models. There is a 35 page thread on that;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320445&highlight=steering

Peter

Yes, I have an XLT. I checked the relay in the engine compartment and switched it with another relay that is known to work. It still did the same thing.

Can you please direct me to the page that shows the problem with the vehicle that was discovered. I have looked through that page and can't pinpoint as to what was the cause.

Hi Nbaylot46,

I recommend returning to your dealership so they can look into this for you. Once you've had your appointment, touch base with me via PM so I can check out some options to help as well. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Thanks. I will do this Friday. I want to get a basic understanding of what to ask for when I go. That is why I come here first. I can't count the number of times where I had to suggest something for someone to figure something out.

Yes, I have an XLT. I checked the relay in the engine compartment and switched it with another relay that is known to work. It still did the same thing.

Can you please direct me to the page that shows the problem with the vehicle that was discovered. I have looked through that page and can't pinpoint as to what was the cause.
If you are looking for a specific post that matches your issue I don't know if there is one in that thread. Power steering failures seemed to occur at different times under different circumstance but they all had the one thing in common which was lost of power steering. Some were able to get it back by cycling the ignition ON/OFF, others could not.
Members who were affected by this issue were encouraged to file a report with the NHTSA. Links fore that are in the thread.

Peter

Back