Keyless entry (Securicode) pad comes off | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry (Securicode) pad comes off

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
That is not normal. Several members have actually had that keyless entry pad come off while driving. When you mentioned "warranty" are you referring to the factory 3 year, 36k mile warranty? If so, I believe it should be covered. Check this out; Keyless entry (Securicode) pad fell off

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool cause my dealer service center quoted me a price of 465.00 to fix it! Crazy just ended the warranty like two months.

A surprising number of things are attached with double sided tape and not much else, but from what I see on a picture from ebay, it's also attached with two clips:

s-l1600.jpg

If it keeps coming off, a few dabs of black window sealant seems like it should do the job of keeping it in place. I saw some YouTube video on a guy putting on the A-pillar trims after changing the front window, and he mentions they fly off all the time, so he dabs a few clicks of sealant on them to make sure they don't.
2 thoughts:

1. The dealer statement is asinine - I would find another dealer.

2. The design and mounting method is adequate, but not what I would expect for an OEM install - it is more reminiscent of how the aftermarket does installs. Nonetheless, if the area is prepped properly and the part is installed correctly, it should not be falling off. It has two mounting clips as well as the two large lengths of what should be high-quality 3M automotive tape.
2017 Explorer keypad trim peeling away?

I just picked up a used 17 Limited with 23k miles.
Upon delivery I noticed the external keypad was pulling away from the door.
I saw double sided tape in there that was pulling away.

The passenger side is very slight but the drivers side is very noticeable.

Is this normal? Hopefully covered under warranty? It almost looks like there should be a fastener near the top and there isn't any.

View attachment 167022
Did the entire panel fly off the car? Time to visit your friendly local Ford Dealer.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
That is not normal. Several members have actually had that keyless entry pad come off while driving. When you mentioned "warranty" are you referring to the factory 3 year, 36k mile warranty? If so, I believe it should be covered. Check this out; Keyless entry (Securicode) pad fell off

Peter
I have had it come off for a second time, this time it happened to my wife while going through a brushless car wash! unfortunately the Dealers canned response is "I have never heard of this happening before!" It came off and the panel broke in half. Now the code panel does not work, the lights stay on, the rear tailgate will not open, electronically or manually, and the "tailgate ajar" message on the dash comes on. Also the rear sensor does not show the color coded lines and does not respond correctly. The majority of car owners do not visit online forums when they have an issue, and many read these posts just confirming they are not crazy, and the dealers want you to think your "isolated" issue has never been seen before. The same is true with the rear tailgate going up on its own when no one is near it, which we also deal with quite frequently, and the dealer said they had never heard of this happening before either. Ridiculous, there are videos posted on Youtube of this happening to an owner, anyways...my Explorer has 111,000 miles, so will a dealer replace this keypad panel issue due to a faulty design, or are we out of luck? A Question for Peter, as he seems to work for Ford in some capacity, and is a moderator for this forum. Peter, any chance they will cover this for us at no charge? I appreciate your input.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I do not work for Ford in any capacity. I retired from the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) as a civilian member in 2002, Seeing that your warranty is up then it is unlikely that Ford/dealer will cover this for you. As far as some dealers saying that they haven't heard of a particular problem, that is quite possible if that dealer never had a customer with the same issue before.
I believe this is the part you need. Some members have done their own repair. 2011-2019 Ford Applique DB5Z-7820555-AC | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

Has anyone had the door panel-drivers side-where the key pad is located, just fall off? Mine just came loose and was hanging on by the wires that are located inside it. Now it does not work nor does the lift gate open. Every time I start the car-it says the lift gate is open when it is not.
The wires inside the panel are compromsied because of the stress of the panel coming off and hanging there while doing 70 miles an hour on the highway.
THANKS FOR ANY FEEDBACK!

I have had this happen twice
mine did not fly off, but it was loose & would not stay in place.
Ford replaced it under warranty, & that one cracked
They replaced it again.
I honestly haven't checked it lately...….guess I better do that

My security panel on the driver door also flew off while I was on the highway. It caused the rear gate to lock. My explorer is a 2017 Explorer XLT. Seems like Ford would correct this issue from happening on the newer models. Pieces shouldn't be flying off!

My security panel on the driver door also flew off while I was on the highway. It caused the rear gate to lock. My explorer is a 2017 Explorer XLT. Seems like Ford would correct this issue from happening on the newer models. Pieces shouldn't be flying off!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I would use the 3M brand of tape to redo them. Clean the area first with rubbing alcohol let it sit a few seconds and replace it.
Mlarv5 thx, I have the same problem. Keyless trim panel peeling. Dealer said it was trim and therefore not under warranty. Tried a bit of double stick tape but it didn’t hold; probably because of minimal prep. For proper prep I need to totally remove the panel. What are the chances the two holding clips will pop off without breaking?

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Good luck with the trim piece. The dealer is correct in that trim is not covered under the ESP, if that is the warranty you are referring to.

Peter

Mlarv5 thx, I have the same problem. Keyless trim panel peeling. Dealer said it was trim and therefore not under warranty. Tried a bit of double stick tape but it didn’t hold; probably because of minimal prep. For proper prep I need to totally remove the panel. What are the chances the two holding clips will pop off without breaking?
Need some information on replacing the keyless entry pad for my 2017 Explorer...please, anyone? I received my new trim panel by mail but was surprised to find that it came with a new keypad. The keypad has a wired plug with a third white plastic body pin. Before I remove what is left of the current trim panel... Do I need to take the door apart to plug it in and pin the wire into some hole out of sight? If so, how do I get into the door? Thx!!

I believe there is apost on the installation but I'm not at my computer. I don't think you have to touch the door at all if I recall. It might be the interior part of the 'B' pillar that has to be removed. I don't see how it would be connected to the door.

Peter

If I remember correctly, the wiring diagram is accurate and you look at the pictures on page 1 where the panel has a 12 in long wire loom, then the connector to the Keyless Entry Pad is about 10 inches down on the inside of the door. So you need to remove the interior panel.
Search for stereo upgrades on in the Mod section, they will show how to get the panel off.

Fritz

If I remember correctly, the wiring diagram is accurate and you look at the pictures on page 1 where the panel has a 12 in long wire loom, then the connector to the Keyless Entry Pad is about 10 inches down on the inside of the door. So you need to remove the interior panel.
Search for stereo upgrades on in the Mod section, they will show how to get the panel off.

Fritz
Thank you very much!!
Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone had the door panel-drivers side-where the key pad is located, just fall off? Mine just came loose and was hanging on by the wires that are located inside it. Now it does not work nor does the lift gate open. Every time I start the car-it says the lift gate is open when it is not.
The wires inside the panel are compromsied because of the stress of the panel coming off and hanging there while doing 70 miles an hour on the highway.
THANKS FOR ANY FEEDBACK!
Yes, just happened to my 2017 explorer XLT while driving down the interstate. Mine broke in half and immediately the rear gate light came on and it was locked.

Back