Keyless entry system and remote start 2018 PIU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry system and remote start 2018 PIU

ppv18

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 3.7L NA V6 PIU
I have a 2018 Explorer Police Interceptor Utility and wanted to see if it was possible to install a keyless entry and/or remote start to it. I know remote start isn't difficult on the non-utility models because they already have keyless entry. Because the utility trim doesn't have keyless entry I was wondering if it was possible to install. My thought is yes, with a little extra work, because it has electronic locks from the inside so there must be some way to program it to a key. I cannot find anything online so if anyone has done this or has any information on it it would be much appreciated. Below are some entry systems that I thought may work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if these threads are of any help. Seems some PIU have the required module installed but disabled. Power Door lock wires?
There are a few more that can be found using the forum's 'Search' feature (upper right).

Peter

I bought the fobs at the dealer for my '16....the dealer MUST program them via IDS for '16 and later.

Once that's done...you can install one of the plug and play remote starts, which will turn on the factory remote start that is in your vehicle, but needs to be turned on by an aftermarket unit. With Forscan, you can enable the remote start settings on your instrument panel, but it's not required,

I bought the fobs at the dealer for my '16....the dealer MUST program them via IDS for '16 and later.

Once that's done...you can install one of the plug and play remote starts, which will turn on the factory remote start that is in your vehicle, but needs to be turned on by an aftermarket unit. With Forscan, you can enable the remote start settings on your instrument panel, but it's not required,
Ok. I have a good relationship with my ford dealer and have executive warranty. Sounds like it would be best to let Ford do it and instruct me on what to buy?

Ok. I have a good relationship with my ford dealer and have executive warranty. Sounds like it would be best to let Ford do it and instruct me on what to buy?
Your call completely. I did the keyless entry before my remote start. Some of the plug and play remote starts are truly plug and plug...Ford does sell an add-on system that the dealer can install too.

It's important to remember that the '16s and later are all set up for remote start from the factory...but you need to use an aftermarket (or Ford accessory) unit to turn the remote start system on and off...

My point for suggesting buying the fobs at the dealer...and while there having them set up using IDS...was to make it a bit better for the dealer to make the parts and install, compared to bringing stuff from Amazon in. Ya know, like bringing your own food to a restaurant.

Your call completely. I did the keyless entry before my remote start. Some of the plug and play remote starts are truly plug and plug...Ford does sell an add-on system that the dealer can install too.

It's important to remember that the '16s and later are all set up for remote start from the factory...but you need to use an aftermarket (or Ford accessory) unit to turn the remote start system on and off...

My point for suggesting buying the fobs at the dealer...and while there having them set up using IDS...was to make it a bit better for the dealer to make the parts and install, compared to bringing stuff from Amazon in. Ya know, like bringing your own food to a restaurant.
Yeah totally. I'm not very knowledgeable on the electronics so unless it was pretty easy to do on my own, I'd rather have the people that know what they're doing install and help me get the proper parts.

Back