labor units about front apron panels replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

labor units about front apron panels replacement

EricNSCA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
my 2017 Explorer XLT had an accident last month.the front apron panel (both R and L) of the car need to be replaced, but the quote from the workshop for labor work was almost 60 units. I wonder if it is reasonable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Eric.:wave:
I'm not sure what you mean by "apron panels"? Are you talking about the inners fenders? What is the quoted cost in $$ ? The dealer could be giving the time based on the workshop manual.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Eric.:wave:
I'm not sure what you mean by "apron panels"? Are you talking about the inners fenders? What is the quoted cost in $$ ? The dealer could be giving the time based on the workshop manual.

Peter

hi,peterk9, thanks for your reply.
here is the estimate report, I'm confused with it. I'm in Canada, so the quoted cost is CAD.

So you're 'down east'. My brother and his wife have a place in Cheverie. The best bet is to try and get a couple more quotes to see if they are in line with the current one.
Quotes can also be dependent on whether or not it is the customer or insurance paying the bill.

Peter

So you're 'down east'. My brother and his wife have a place in Cheverie. The best bet is to try and get a couple more quotes to see if they are in line with the current one.
Quotes can also be dependent on whether or not it is the customer or insurance paying the bill.

Peter

I just want to figure out how big the gap is between the quote from workshop and given by the manufactory.
Anyway, thanks for your reply.:dpchug:

Peter
If the shops are honest/reputable, they should be quoting accurate repair hours/time, but the $s may be discounted different depending on cash/insurance.

I've never had a shop quote a different time to repair for an insurance claim vs customer pay, unless I was paying out of pocket and chose to cut some stuff I didn't want, like color blending into adjacent panels and such.

Never hurts to get multiple estimates, but just be aware that estimates can be amended as work begins and the shop finds additional damage that wasn't visible until they tear down/begin work.

If the shops are honest/reputable, they should be quoting accurate repair hours/time, but the $s may be discounted different depending on cash/insurance.

I've never had a shop quote a different time to repair for an insurance claim vs customer pay, unless I was paying out of pocket and chose to cut some stuff I didn't want, like color blending into adjacent panels and such.

Never hurts to get multiple estimates, but just be aware that estimates can be amended as work begins and the shop finds additional damage that wasn't visible until they tear down/begin work.

Yeah, I know, but I was really shocked when I got the estimate report.

........I've never had a shop quote a different time to repair for an insurance claim vs customer pay, unless I was paying out of pocket and chose to cut some stuff I didn't want, like color blending into adjacent panels and such...............................
I can't actually say if the quotes would be different or not but every time I've asked for a quote the first thing they ask me is whether this is going through my insurance or if I'm paying the bill.

Peter

Any pics of the damaged car?
The collision point is below the left fog light. The center grille, radiator frame, L+R headlight housings are cracked due to squeezing, the hood hinges and the L+R front apron/rails have slightly deformations due to impact.

The estimate time should take into account the numerous times they may need to put the aprons on and off to get everything aligned. This part of the repair process can burn up a lot of hours.

I can't actually say if the quotes would be different or not but every time I've asked for a quote the first thing they ask me is whether this is going through my insurance or if I'm paying the bill.

Peter

If it is insurance, they charge insurance rates (agreed upon for labor) and if it is customer pay, I've seen them charge higher labor rates (because I can bring in my own parts that they dont make money off of - example, ordering the parts at wholesale online).

Back