Land Rover LR3 4.0L V6 Replace with 2008 Ranger VIN E | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Land Rover LR3 4.0L V6 Replace with 2008 Ranger VIN E

The oil filter points straight down, so a longer filter can work if the original filter had more clearance below it in stock form.
Thanks for the info on the filter and adapter. We won't know until we get more of the ancillary stuff on the engine (starting in again on Monday), plus those factory skid plates don't leave a lot of room under the original filter. My priority is finding enough room to get my Moroso pre-oiler installed, I have been converted and am now a "true believer", definitely going to do that, not wanting the chain tensioner disease...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, if you can fit a pre-oiler, that should greatly reduce wear on the chain guides etc. Then hopefully only the external tensioners you have to watch, the mechanical spring inside has a finite life. If you hear any rattles near the chains, it should be those easy to replace tensioners.

My pre oiler pumps the tensioner s before the truck is started pushing all the air out of the oil galleys

We don't need no stinking springs

That's true, while operating the springs don't do much. Getting oil into them quickly might make the springs last longer too.

That's true, while operating the springs don't do much. Getting oil into them quickly might make the springs last longer too.
I have put brand new tensioners into this Ranger engine and we did spin it up to check them, all is good. I did not like the $200 price tag on the solenoid from Moroso so got a high class made in China version for about $25, plus a timer circuit (adjustable) to only keep the solenoid open for a limited time, we'll see how it works out, I may be whining again in a few weeks and shelling out the $200...

Adding the Moroso picture from today's playing...

20190803_181537[1].jpg

Nice

Here is a photo of the inexpensive timer I am going to use to open the solenoid valve and close it after refilling, which I estimate to take between 2 to 3 minutes, won't know for certain until we get the machine running...

20190804_181111[1].jpg

It takes all of 3 seconds to fill my timer is set to 30 seconds

It takes all of 3 seconds to fill my timer is set to 30 seconds
Thanks Don, I'll use that as my initial setting, I'm using the 1 1/2 quart Moroso initially set to about 7 PSI, 4 feet of AN6 hose, and 1/4" ID fittings, the solenoid and Moroso are 1/2" fittings so I guess it empties and fills a lot faster than initially thought, have never used one before. Heading out to the shop with anti-seize for the exhaust manifolds... Eric...

New iridium spark plugs, remove power steering pump and A/C to change out location of wiring harness plus add steering connector bolt (OOOps!). Here's a look at the engine with the Land Rover intake manifold, a huge difference from the Ranger...

DSC00461.JPG

Wednesday August 7 we buttoned everything else up and as we were adding coolant, noted a pinhole leak in the radiator, so all on hold until we get a new radiator, LR021777...

Thursday August 8th and am heading back to the shop to remove the rad and get a local company to have a peek, should be less expensive than a new one, but maybe not...

Well the radiator was fixed via an aluminum (or aluminium) welding process, pressure tested and some fins straightened, then installed and filled. At about 1720 MDT today we fired it up, started first crack, idled up to 1200 rpm and after about 2 minutes dropped to 800, we ran it till the thermostat opened, then shut if off and let it cool so we could add some more antifreeze. More reporting tomorrow, we still have to put the hood back on and road test, then insurance and plates (or is it the other way around?). Attached shows how high the air suspension took it up, I have to read about how to use it, obviously I don't have a clue... Thanks all for your ongoing help and suggestions...

DSC00494.JPG

Couldn't get out today, gathering insurance and licence stuff, plus a bunch of oil and filters for a quick oil change, not going to fool around with this one, too much time invested...

Change the oil every 3-5k miles like clockwork and a pre oiler of course:)

Ditto, use a top brand synthetic and change it before it goes beyond 5k, and with the pre-oiler, the engine won't be a weak link for a long time.

Also keep a fresh air filter in it too, an Amsoil EA type if they make one. I had transparent oil at 9,000 miles using one of those filters(in an aftermarket Volant air cleaner made for the Explorer). I was checking the oil regularly during that time using high end Amsoil Signature Series. It was perfect for that 3-4 months, and then one day it was black, ... the air filter fell off inside the air cleaner, the clamp wasn't tight enough. I didn't use that oil the next time, I needed to buy more, and the trans went out a few months later.

Thanks Don and Don, already replaced the air and oil filters, only going to run the engine for another hour or so then the Castrol Edge (synthetic) 5W-30 is getting replaced. Getting ready to do a transmission flush (ZF6HP26X) with synthetic low viscosity tranny fluid (Ford Mercol SP) and also replace diff and transfer case fluid. Of course we will have to reinstall the hood and a few skid plates too... :)

Skid plates NOT reinstalled (I am over 70 and unlikely to go "mountain" submerged and over large rocks) but are storing them for the next owner, and decided to put about 2000 Km on the fresh oil/filter change before changing again to Castrol Edge 5W-30 (synthetic). Also going to find out who is willing around here to replace our ZF Lifeguard 6 with Ford Mercon SP auto transmission fluid, it just does not make sense to NOT put the Mercon SP into the same transmission that Ford builds under license from ZF (6R60 vs 6HP26). Anyway, took the Ranger Rover for a 200Km test drive today and had to add more coolant (air bubbles) but otherwise fine, will report more tomorrow...

Sweet was it worth it ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet was it worth it ?
Definitely, after putting on about 1200 Km so far, but if I did it again I'd either supercharge the V6 or put in a modern fuel injected V8. Since this Land Rover LR3 weighs about 5300 pounds empty (same as my stepson's new Ford Raptor 4x4 crew cab truck) the V6 is hardly a tower of power. However, with the ZF6HP26X 6 speed automatic transmission (same as Ford 6R60) it only turns over 2000 rpm at 120 Km/hr (75 mph) so I guess that's OK... :)

Back