Lane Centering Stopped Working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lane Centering Stopped Working

Can you drive an ST in a sport mode and still have lane centering enabled?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a test drive last night and I can only conclude that lane centering is not functional on my vehicle. Cruise control is in Intelligent Mode, both hands on steering wheel, both lane markings are detected. The button simply does nothing. Nothing toggles on/off on my dash display. Didn't matter what order of operations I tried, it doesn't work. I guess we'll take it in as soon as we get a chance.

To test if your button works, if you are driving without cruise control and press the button, a message box will pop up and say lane centering requires adaptive cruise control to be enabled.

To test if your button works, if you are driving without cruise control and press the button, a message box will pop up and say lane centering requires adaptive cruise control to be enabled.

Good point. I tried the button in every situation I could last night. Cruise on. Cruise off. Absolutely no message or anything displayed on my dash.

Good point. I tried the button in every situation I could last night. Cruise on. Cruise off. Absolutely no message or anything displayed on my dash.
If you did all that I posted in my post #16, from the Manual, and it still doesn't work, I'd recommended an appointment with your Ford dealership

Peter.

So as reported above I brought my Limited in today to service this lane keeping issue. The issue I have is lane centering is turned on by the switch on the turn signal stalk. The center display comes on and there is some lane keeping effect (but not as strong as before) but pushing the button on the steering wheel has no effect even with cruise set.

The dealership said it is a defective switch cluster and is now on order.

Question: What does the button on the steering wheel supposed to do anyway?

Question: What does the button on the steering wheel supposed to do anyway?
Another question that has the answer in the Manual.;) It turns the "Lane Keeping" ON/OFF.

Peter

Peter

Isn't that what the button on the stalk does? Two buttons to do the same thing? What am I missing?

The button on the stalk is for lane assist. The button on the steering wheel is for the lane centering function and requires the adaptive cruise control. This cluster of buttons was defective on my steering wheel (lane centering didn’t work) and was replaced. This solved the problem.

OK thanks ST, I think I have it now. I've read the manual 3 times and could not figure that one out. Probably because it never worked correctly from the start.

Lane Keeping and Lane Centering are two different features. ;)

Peter

I had time to stop by my dealership this morning and talk to my salesman. Service department was backed up and couldn't take appointments until next week. But I was able to jump in a new Limited on the lot and test the functionality. When the button is pushed, the lane centering steering wheel icon in the center of the dash is displayed as expected. Mine does not do the same. My dealer was willing to get the switch assembly in case that is what I need next week. That way I only have to go to the service department once hopefully.

Service department was backed up and couldn't take appointments until next week. .

So frustrating. I too am waiting to get things fixed for initial quality problems. Dealer claims it took 3 1/2 weeks to get window trim parts. Taking the car in on Monday--it'll be 4 1/2 weeks since I reported the issue to the dealer which was 3 days of ownership.

So frustrating. I too am waiting to get things fixed for initial quality problems. Dealer claims it took 3 1/2 weeks to get window trim parts. Taking the car in on Monday--it'll be 4 1/2 weeks since I reported the issue to the dealer which was 3 days of ownership.

Bummer. I knew full well I was jumping into an early production first year revision vehicle. I am not really surprised there are issues, but I was hoping they would be a little more aggressive about fixing the issue. In a previous lifetime, I worked at a dealership, and sometimes we would grab a part off a lot vehicle if it was what it took to make the customer happy. I'm sure all of our stuff will get resolved, it's just some time and effort.

So after waiting a week for the new switch cluster to fix my lane centering problem I was in today to have it installed. Things went south when the service advisor asked me to go with him in the shop to talk to the tech to describe what this button was supposed to do. Well apparently the new switch did not fix my issue. So they now have opened a case with Ford to see what the next step is. I'll keep you posted.

So after waiting a week for the new switch cluster to fix my lane centering problem I was in today to have it installed. Things went south when the service advisor asked me to go with him in the shop to talk to the tech to describe what this button was supposed to do. Well apparently the new switch did not fix my issue. So they now have opened a case with Ford to see what the next step is. I'll keep you posted.
My dealer also had to open a case with Ford to evaluate the issue. Ford had them review the software modules, as well as clear some error codes. During this testing they discovered that the switch assembly was problematic (some buttons were slow to respond and the lane centering button did not work). Ultimately the clearing of the error codes and the replacement of the button assembly got the job done. It also helped that they had another Explorer available to drive so they could see how the lane centering function is supposed to work. Before that, they really didn’t understand what they were trying to fix. Ford can help them diagnose this issue, as my experience can confirm.

This is sad that they haven't trained the service advisers and techs on new functions like lane centering.

I asked today if there were any error codes found in my case and they said no. That's what apparently has them stumped. Still no response yet from Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the dealer called today to give me an update. Ford feels that they have a batch of bad switch clusters and they believe they sent them another bad one. This is probably because a new switch fixed the other reported problems and that there were no error codes. So I am now waiting for them to send a confirmed good switch to install.

Back