Lane Centering Stopped Working | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lane Centering Stopped Working

Well the dealer called today to give me an update. Ford feels that they have a batch of bad switch clusters and they believe they sent them another bad one. This is probably because a new switch fixed the other reported problems and that there were no error codes. So I am now waiting for them to send a confirmed good switch to install.

I'm not surprised there is a bad batch of parts out there. There are at least three of us on this forum that have the issue. I'll be there are lots more that are not on this forum. I wonder how hard it is to swap the switch pack. Does the airbag have to be removed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They claimed they needed to remove the steering wheel to swap the cluster of buttons.

UPDATE: So it's been over a week waiting for a new switch cluster from Ford. I stopped by the dealership on Wednesday since I did not hear from them only to find out that the case was closed out by Ford based on the fact that they concluded that the fix is a new switch. So I wanted to make sure this new switch was on order but was told today that all of these switches are deemed defective and they cannot place orders for new ones until the issue is resolved (probably because they have not found a suitable replacement yet and will have to establish a new P/N). Ford had no ETA for arrival of the new switch.

So I asked the dealership to start escalating this on their end with Ford and I called the Ford Customer Service line and opened a case. Don't know if that will help but didn't think it would hurt.

UPDATE: So it's been over a week waiting for a new switch cluster from Ford. I stopped by the dealership on Wednesday since I did not hear from them only to find out that the case was closed out by Ford based on the fact that they concluded that the fix is a new switch. So I wanted to make sure this new switch was on order but was told today that all of these switches are deemed defective and they cannot place orders for new ones until the issue is resolved (probably because they have not found a suitable replacement yet and will have to establish a new P/N). Ford had no ETA for arrival of the new switch.

So I asked the dealership to start escalating this on their end with Ford and I called the Ford Customer Service line and opened a case. Don't know if that will help but didn't think it would hurt.

Thanks for the updated information. I haven't even had time to address my lane centering issue with my dealership. It's not causing me any real grief driving the vehicle, so I'll just hold off a while until they figure out the issue. Sounds like a supply chain issue with Ford.

Update 2 Was in for service this week on three other issues (No HD Radio, Intermittent Check Engine light and Seat Recall) and was told that Ford has still has not provided a new switch cluster and had no idea when they would. So at this point I politely but firmly insisted that the dealership find a working switch on their cars in stock and make the swap. Eventually they did and replaced the whole steering wheel since that took less labor to do. So this issue is now fixed.

Correct. The button at some point stopped working. The dealer replaced the entire button set on the left part of the steering wheel. It now works.
I picked up my Platinum on Sept 11th and had an issue with the lane centering from time I left the dealership. I just went back this week to get the directional changed because they told me it was the a bad switch. They replaced the directional and then proceeded to spend the next 16 hours downloading and entering the program again. It was finally downloaded and the problem has not been fixed. THey have had the vehicle for 3 days and Ford has yet to call them with a fix.
So just heads up if you have a similar problem wait a month until Ford gets it together.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Looks like they still have not solved the switch cluster supply issue yet. My dealer swapped the whole steering wheel from a working stock vehicle to solve my problem

Well after having my vehicle for 3 days and replacing the switch the dealership told me that Ford does not have a fix for the lane centering shutting off and that is not a switch problem. They told me to keep checking back to see if the Ford Engineers figured out the fix. I was also informed when I made an official complaint by phone.
If anyone on this forum hears they have a fix (most likely software) can you let me know.

Well that's discouraging. I still haven't had time to take mine in. I'm really in no rush at this point. I don't feel like they have a handle on this particular issue.

I suggest strongly you wait until they have a true fix. I was I waited. They will only replace parts and reprogram your software and that still won't fix it.

Anyone have the problem of the lane centering not working at night? I am not talking in bad weather. Just when it's dark outside. Sometimes it works, but a lot of the time the green dash display for the road/steering wheel turns grey.

Anyone have the problem of the lane centering not working at night? I am not talking in bad weather. Just when it's dark outside. Sometimes it works, but a lot of the time the green dash display for the road/steering wheel turns grey.
Old or worn lane markings?

Peter

Old or worn lane markings?

Peter

No, they don't appear to be. To me, the headlights just aren't that bright and the system may not be able to read them. Strikes me as odd though that it wouldn't be able to work reliably when it's pitch dark outside with just the headlights...no street lights.

I wondered if there is a sensitivity adjustment but didn't see anything in the Manual. I did notice that the feature only works above 40 mph.

Peter

I wondered if there is a sensitivity adjustment but didn't see anything in the Manual. I did notice that the feature only works above 40 mph.

Peter

Yes. By street lights, I mean highway lights. It is usually does not do well in the rain in daylight but was surprised by how inconsistent it is at night on the highway. It is pitch dark though on the highways I am talking about.

Yah...well, so much for that. And yes, mine is still in the shop...week #3. As soon as it hits 30 days, my Lemon Law requirements have been met. Its outa here.

Yah...well, so much for that. And yes, mine is still in the shop...week #3. As soon as it hits 30 days, my Lemon Law requirements have been met. Its outa here.

In the shop for? The suspension noises?

Finally got my lane centering function resolved. Bad switch on the steering wheel. Took my dealer 1 week to resolve, but they put me in another 2020 for the week so I can't complain. Glad to have it resolved, as well as the open recalls were done at the same time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the dealer called today to give me an update. Ford feels that they have a batch of bad switch clusters and they believe they sent them another bad one. This is probably because a new switch fixed the other reported problems and that there were no error codes. So I am now waiting for them to send a confirmed good switch to install.
Interesting. I purchased my ST in November and my dealer has ordered a switch cluster because I cannot turn lane keeping or lane centering off. Anytime I turn on the cruise, the lane assist is on and working when it sees the lane markings. I would have thought Ford would have purged defective switches long before mine was built.

Back