Las Cruces, NM | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Las Cruces, NM

Thanks guys, I had blast, it was great meeting y'all and hope to do it again sometime!!!!
Heres the pics I took:
e48a3239.jpg

09ca710f.jpg

04d956c0.jpg

fb108c61.jpg

77d22ba1.jpg

fcacdd49.jpg

4ad7738e.jpg

cb52bf7f.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Things I learned,

3rd gens handle on trails excellant

liquid metal will fix a rad leak and hold up under pressure

a champion 8k winch will do it's job

a chicago 12v impact wrench from HF is a outstanding investment

Dr. Jack DOES love off road trails

anything else, Jordan and Bro?

Jordan, it was great meet with you,and running the trails, next time maybe the Beast will more in to it:D --- :salute:

030.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

039.jpg

we did learn that a 31" tire will not hold up to a 1" steak - this was flat "1
032.jpg

Breaking in the beast the hard way I see. :D

Glad you guys got some trail time put in. :thumbsup:

Did you guys find anything to crawl, or was it just flat trails?

A lot of crawling, only pics of trailing cuz when we were crawling, had to have both hands on the wheel, the best way to describe the trails would be Ouray with a lot of actual obstacles but not as steep, we did have to use the winch.

Things I learned,

3rd gens handle on trails excellant

liquid metal will fix a rad leak and hold up under pressure

a champion 8k winch will do it's job

a chicago 12v impact wrench from HF is a outstanding investment

Dr. Jack DOES love off road trails

anything else, Jordan and Bro?

I think that about covers everything!! haha
Any more pics?
BTW yall ever that Las Cruces sticker???

LOL, thought there might of been more lessons but my brain stopped working again, more pics coming, couldn't find any Los Cruces stickers, gonna have to make some.

"killing" time while we wait for the liquid metal to stop being liquid
LasCruces015.jpg

LasCruces013.jpg

LasCruces014.jpg

blurring, but we were bouncing

LasCruces028.jpg

LasCruces031.jpg

LasCruces030.jpg

Cool one by Adam, right side is gamecocks, center is easymc
LasCruces029.jpg

LasCruces023.jpg

LasCruces019.jpg

LasCruces006.jpg

LasCruces008.jpg

looks like you guys had a hell of a weekend. ive been through las cruces before back when i was 15 or 16 years old, and ive been out toward abq too. these pics are getting me even more physched for my upcoming trip to the sierra mountains on the deer valley trail and the barney riley trail atthe end of the month. keep posting pics if you have more!

looks like you guys had a hell of a weekend. ive been through las cruces before back when i was 15 or 16 years old, and ive been out toward abq too. these pics are getting me even more physched for my upcoming trip to the sierra mountains on the deer valley trail and the barney riley trail atthe end of the month. keep posting pics if you have more!

It was a blast!!! We are already planning a return and camping on the trails. Keep us posted of your run in the Sierra's. :thumbsup:
Got more pics, will be posting a few more

Man those pictures turned out great!! that sunburn is starting to suck! lol

Cool guys, looks like y'all had a good trip.

should of made this post beforeing posting pics, oh well, I be old.

Robert, Adam, and myself got to the KOA around 615 Friday, easy check in, was going to grill some sausages, but the wind was too high and there was a lot of dead plants around the grill, so we had cold bolonga sandwiches, and of couse, after that, the wind died.

Jordan got there early, around 8, we bs'd a bit, went and got gas and our windows cleaned, then hit the trail. Not many obstacles to mention at first, a couple did sharpen pencils.
The rad on the Beast reared it's ugly head a little over an hour of trailing inclines, this is the small split in the rad was noticed, I had solder, but forgot to pack the propane torch (dur #1), but found the liquid metal, which was sitting in the door storage of my rig, all we had to go with. Had to wait around 2 hours to make sure it dried, during this time we brought out the chairs, a beer, and Jordan's M1911! :salute: Turned out it held damn good.

More trailing, obstacles got better and trial got rougher, had to let Beast cool it's head a little bit a couple of times, but plenty of coolant water on hand. Then we hit the part that was trouble, Jordan's 3rd gen made it up with a few realinements( sorry Jordan, I didn't know my left from right while ground guiding) Then the Beast's tire got the steak into it, the incline was around 35-40*, so no way we were going to try to change it on a slope like that, using Jordan's rig as an anchor, we winched the Beast up to level ground,(the flat happened at an obstacle and culdn't get over it with the flat under it's own power, had to turn the wheels to get over the obstacle) I went back down the hill and drove the Jack up. (Ha Ha!)
At this point we decided to make the return, down to no spare for the Beast and the overheating, we didn't want to take a chance. About 2 klics back, #2 flat happened. Decision time, I would stay with the Beast while Robert and Jordan went to town to get another tire, Adam stayed also, we had plenty of water, shade, and a nice breeze. I had seen posts where members had to leave their rig on the trail and came back and it was damaged or torched and did not want to take the chance with the Beast, even tho we had not seen another vehicle all day.
Took just under 4 hours for the return.
Got back to trailing, getting dark!:D
We hit some good obstacles going back down, got to to bottom, played a little bit on the mound at the bottom, went back to the KOA,no wind, build a small fire and I got my sausges!!!!
First chapter for Las Cruces written, stay tuned for chapter 2, "Camping on the trail in Las Cruces":cool:

:popcorn:

Jordan and Bro coming back with the tire, they have a good story on their trip to get the tire. (hint, hint for the story)

with zoom

LasCruces025.jpg

same spot without the zoom

LasCruces026.jpg

Aw come on Mike i thought we weren't gonna talk about that!!! haha
Oh well long story short when we headed back the sun was right in our eyes for the whole ~2hr drive so we missed the turn to get back to Mike and Adam and drove maybe 30 mins in the WRONG direction :confused: before me and Rob noticed!!! so needless to say we felt like JACKASSES!! Im gonna bust out the FM for Land Nav and brush up!!!

:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL! I think we saw ya'll going the wrong direction too! Adam said he saw a car, and when I looked I could just make out a white speck on a ridge line, but it was headed away, I waited about 10 minutes to see if anything came back around the trail when it didn't I told Adam it might of been a truck on I10 (we could see trucks on I10 in the distance from our spot). But then a little later ya'll came around the bend we could see ya'll headed back.
But it was all good, the trip back when it got dark was just awesome! Especially that one downgrade, I thought your rig was going over when I saw the left tail light go way up, you caught some good air there!!!
The one spot we were worried about with the loose rock and dropoff wasn't as bad as we thought, guess because we couldn't see! Adam asked me about 1/2 klic after we went by it how far it was, when I told him we had already went over it, he was just like "Cool"!

Back