Last Sport Trac Built

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ranger
I was informed via email from the Sport Trac Owner's Club that the last Sport Trac was built yesterday, Nov. 5, 2010.
I guess I'll be keeping this one for a long time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was informed via email from the Sport Trac Owner's Club that the last Sport Trac was built yesterday, Nov. 5, 2010.
I guess I'll be keeping this one for a long time.

I love my white STA. Long live the Sport Trac!

Did we not hear that they were going to release the 4 door Ranger here?

Ford said no euro ranger in the USA. They feel this segment can be filled by a f150.

I made a little something for this occasion... :)

remembersporttrac.png

Ford said no euro ranger in the USA. They feel this segment can be filled by a f150.
I can't see them dropping the small Ranger thou and it is built 4 door for export.

If they do make a unibody ST, no offense, but it sure won't be "unleashed," and I doubt it'd be doing much "romping," unless you don't care about breaking it. This new Ford is pretty depressing - unibody explorers, f150 with a v6 - what's next?! An IFS/IRS Superduty?! (ahh! now they'll probably try that!)

When I was at the Sport Trac Club's meeting at the Ford plant last summer the Ford guys told us that there just wasn't enough demand to justify developing another Sport Trac off of the new Explorer chassis.
The other angle is that they simply make a better profit on F-150's.

I'm glad...
I saw the 4-door Ranger in Australia last year.
They can keep it.
My STA is a much, much nicer vehicle.

If they do make a unibody ST, no offense, but it sure won't be "unleashed," and I doubt it'd be doing much "romping," unless you don't care about breaking it. This new Ford is pretty depressing - unibody explorers, f150 with a v6 - what's next?! An IFS/IRS Superduty?! (ahh! now they'll probably try that!)

What is issue with the F150 with V6? Quite capable, especially the V6 Ecoboost. That is the highest rated TOW engine for the 2011MY. Outruns the competition in power, tow rating, performance, and economy. Progress is good.

New explorer outperforms old in all categories, with exception of max tow rating. That is the one thing that was "compromised" to provide the ride and economy that is needed in this segment. While I do wish Ford had a small Bronco for somewhat less refinement and better towing, I can't fault them for providing refined vehicle that meets / exceeds the expectations of the vast majority of owners.

When I was at the Sport Trac Club's meeting at the Ford plant last summer the Ford guys told us that there just wasn't enough demand to justify developing another Sport Trac off of the new Explorer chassis.
The other angle is that they simply make a better profit on F-150's.

Really, it wouldn't be much of an effort to do...
Honda's Ridgeline is based off the Pilot and Acura MDX and Honda minivan... They're all off the same basic platform. I think it would open up new sales opportunities for Ford for people who don't want an F-150 sized 4X4... and we are out there... if Ford came out with a real Ridgeline beater in the marketplace. That is... a 4-dr, 4X4, mid-size vehicle with superior power, style, mpg, features, and towing capacity than the Ridgeline. It can be done, IMHO, and I'd buy one.

Really? Not much of an effort to do huh? Are you an automotive engineer or work for a major automaker? Let me tell you - it is quite literally hundreds of millions of dollars in development and tooling to create a "sport trac" version of the explorer off the new 2011MY truck. That is why it was dropped. Plus, you are looking at an easy 3 years of development for desing, tooling, performance, durability, safety, et., etc.. Even if demand doubled or trippled, it would never pay off. Not even come close.

Now, I have been a Ranger owner for most of my driving life. I love that size vehicle and am angry we can no longer get that class of vehicle from Ford. The new "global" (albeit less NA) ranger is awesome, I just wish we could get it here. It would somewhat canabilize F Series volumes, but is more a vehicle for those of us that want utility without the size of an F150. I bought my last Ranger knowing full well I could have gotten better fuel economy in a similar F150. Maybe we will see a shift in mindset / maybe the new F Series will have another offering for us. only the future will tell.

Really? Not much of an effort to do huh? Are you an automotive engineer or work for a major automaker? Let me tell you - it is quite literally hundreds of millions of dollars in development and tooling to create a "sport trac" version of the explorer off the new 2011MY truck. That is why it was dropped. Plus, you are looking at an easy 3 years of development for desing, tooling, performance, durability, safety, et., etc.. Even if demand doubled or trippled, it would never pay off. Not even come close.

Now, I have been a Ranger owner for most of my driving life. I love that size vehicle and am angry we can no longer get that class of vehicle from Ford. The new "global" (albeit less NA) ranger is awesome, I just wish we could get it here. It would somewhat canabilize F Series volumes, but is more a vehicle for those of us that want utility without the size of an F150. I bought my last Ranger knowing full well I could have gotten better fuel economy in a similar F150. Maybe we will see a shift in mindset / maybe the new F Series will have another offering for us. only the future will tell.

Nope... not an engineer... was only thinking if the new Explorer platform is as good as they say, why not build a SportTrac off it like Honda did with the Ridgeline. But, as you pointed out, if the sales volumes don't warrant the development, then it's hard to argue against that.

They say Ford's future is in building global products, and the profitability of that approach will prove itself to be a wise decision. I like the idea Ford is getting stronger and offering new stuff. I'm anxious to see the new FOCUS.

I agree with your idea for a 'right-size' truck... too bad we're not getting the new global Ranger. http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2012-ranger/800x600/wallpaper_01.htm I don't think I want a 4-door 4X4 F-150. It's just too big for my needs.
That's why I bought the STA in the first place, and I'm not ready to give it up just yet.

I still remember my dad's first 1/2 ton truck... a 10 year old, well-used, black 1950 Merc... he had several other half-tons after that (an International, a couple GMCs, a couple Chevys, and a Dodge. I got to take my licence on the little '70 Chevy step-side... 250 six cyl with 3-on-the-tree. Nice little truck... the perfect size in my mind... if only it had been 4WD.

Do a search on this Forum for: 2011 Sport Trac Concept Photoshop!
What a great picture of what will likely never come to be.

I feel I would be happiest with a Crew Cab Ranger as it would do everything I need (except being available here!). Now, my only decision is do I get a STA or do I get a new 2011 F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Like the size ofthe STA, but the Ecoboost F150 is AWESOME! Power is unbelievable.

that ranger looks kind of ugly to be honest, i think ford is trying to exit the market, in my opinion it looks like chevy has much better designs i am disappointed with ford to be honest, that they destory many of their best selling suvs such as explorer... this going to be my last one i owe for 20 years until they come nicer designs like chevy and dodge... ford even got rid volvo which i think is stupid in my opinion and they killed mercury and they are thinking about killing lincoln as well and mazda, whats next for them suicide

if i dont see ford making hybrid ford expeditions and f-150s i am definitely moving over to chevy in the future... i rest my case here

Wow - lots there. New Ranger does look a little "rounded off". Not trying to exit t he market - did exit the market. Decided it was not cost effective to support assy plant in NA with the Ranger when they are seeing volumes south of 100K units / year. This truck was purpose build for the markets it is going to, so would need development and investment as well to homologate for use / sale in USA. This Ranger is also larger than the current ranger - sorta Dakota size.

Ford plan is deliver high volume off F150 platform with new powertrains delivering high fuel economy and performance. You are sting those flowing in on the 2011MY. While I don't necessarily agree with this, as I like smaller trucks, you can't really blame them. This is a cut throat industry. Must focus on what makes money rather than satisfying every market / every segment / every person. That is what brought the demise of several automakers and led to the shrinkage of Ford.

Volvo was a money looser. Ford pulled everything they needed from Volvo and have sold them off. It was a nice brand to have in the protfolio, but was a massive cash sink hole every year they owned them. Mercury would have been nice to keep as a "spin off" brand like Scion or similar, but need to get the mainstream / namesake brand healthy first. Lincoln is only going to grow and fast. The Mazda brand was once owned 40% by Ford. 30% of that was sold off a year or more ago.

As for hybrid full size. Don't look for that any time soon. Who needs it? Really Really impractical. Look at the normal usages of full size SUVs. These are not city cars or normally used for low MPH / stop and go. That is the best fit for hybrid. Towing, traveling, rural areas, hybrids don't get the bang for the buck. What Ford does have is the 3.5L ecoboost. Which has incredible fuel economy, power, performance, etc.. That is the direction ford has chosen to go. Better fuel economy for all around usage, not nich market "bling" vehicle.

I have say a hybrid full-size suv and truck would be nice, look what chevy did when its not towing it uses only 4 cylinders but when towing and power need it uses the need cylinder, that gas efficient right there. I love ford to be honest and if they dont do anything like that in the future i dont know what to say

Back