• Register Today It's free!

Late Model Engine Swap

JBHexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
I searched through the message board and couldn't find this discussed before.

I have a '96 Sport, auto, and I'm considering a 5.0 swap. The engine would be out of a '96 v8 explorer. Would the engine mounts for the V8 explorers work in my sport? Would my stock tranny work? Any advise would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the mounts would work, as the 2-door and 4-door Explorers run the exact same front clip. No, your trans would not work. Not only would it not bolt up, it also would not hold up. Thus, your tcase would not work either, unless you get one of those big buck adapters. Cheaper solution would be to run the F150/Bronco/Expedition tcase. Remember, the swap will not just be the engine. You would need the computer, entire engine wiring harness, trans harness and O2 harness. Would want to use the same radiator as 5.0 uses also.

Thanks for the reply. As far as the tcase, mine is 2wd, and I plan on keeping it that way, so doesn't that eliminate that problem. And about the tranny, which type would be recomended, would the tranny off the same V8 explorer work or would there be a better approach.

If I was going to do that swap I would use the same tranny out of that Explorer. That way there is less of a chance of fabricateing something... I have some swap idea in mind butI and going to stay with all factory parts so there is less fabricating....

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

Yes, I would stick with the trans that comes with the 5.0 motor. The computer is set up for that trans, as the tranny is computer controlled. For Kris, you cannot use the stock transmission....... they use a totally different bell housing pattern on the 4.0 and the 5.0. To make an adapter would be as pricey as buying the transmission that comes with the 5.0, plus, you would then have to deal with the computer incompatibility. Also, while a modified A4LD could, theoretically hold up to the power of the 5.0, the stock one certainly would not.

Go with a older AOD tranny from a Mustang. When built up properly, they are bulitproof. If your emission laws allow you to go with an older motor than the truck, go with a complete setup from a 89 to 93 Mustang 5.0 / automatic. You'll save a lot of time and headaches over the all the electronics from the explorer 5.0 setup.

Brett

Back