leaf spring bushing sizing and suppliers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

leaf spring bushing sizing and suppliers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So as I try to understand all of this I want to clear up the information slightly for people like me who only need the front and rear spring bushings for 95-01 leaf springs. I am running Explorer leafs in my ranger and of course only need the front and rear bushings (Shackle setup is different). From what I gather the only way to do so is order Energy Suspension part 3.2125(for front bushings) and buy the whole Explorer kit to get the rear ones.

The only other way you can get the rear spring bushings separately is special order through SuperPro and it's $70 just for the 2 bushings. The whole 91-94 explorer kit through energy suspension is only $60 so it appears its best to buy it and throw the extra parts in the tool box for another project.

So as I try to understand all of this I want to clear up the information slightly for people like me who only need the front and rear spring bushings for 95-01 leaf springs. I am running Explorer leafs in my ranger and of course only need the front and rear bushings (Shackle setup is different). From what I gather the only way to do so is order Energy Suspension part 3.2125(for front bushings) and buy the whole Explorer kit to get the rear ones.

The only other way you can get the rear spring bushings separately is special order through SuperPro and it's $70 just for the 2 bushings. The whole 91-94 explorer kit through energy suspension is only $60 so it appears its best to buy it and throw the extra parts in the tool box for another project.

As far as I have found, yes.
I had, unfortunately, already purchased the front spring eye bushings and shackle-to-frame bushings as those were available separately. I was unable to find the rear bushings alone.
So I ended up also buying the whole kit.

Unless you contact Energy, and see if they may provide the appropriate parts.

Edit: I should add, this of course is only referring to after market poly bushings. I'm sure you can find replacement rubber bushings for the rear only.

I'm aware of those instructions. That's why I asked the question here, because on those instructions, it appears that the flanged end of the frame-to-shackle bushing is on the OUTSIDE of the frame rail, not the inside as gavin mentioned.

Want to make sure there isn't something Explorer-specific about this. I have the OME36 leafpack.

Through my searches, there's another post floating about and the OP of that thread posted pictures; which included the big flange on the inside of the framerail.
Slight thread hi-jack; how do the OME compare to the OEM? I have the CS04R (new part# for OME36) sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.

Through my searches, there's another post floating about and the OP of that thread posted pictures; which included the big flange on the inside of the framerail.

Ok, so that makes sense...the flange AND the washer-bushing on the inside of the framerail. That's contrary to the picture they have on their instructions...unless it's a view from the rear.

Slight thread hi-jack; how do the OME compare to the OEM? I have the CS04R (new part# for OME36) sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.

Slight correction, the new part# for OME36 is CS042R not CS04R. I don't have them installed yet. :) As you probably know guys who have them say they offer stock-ish ride and more flex along with 2" lift, but that they are not really optimized for towing. I can tell you, they weigh considerably more than the OEM pack I have, as you would expect. Their rear eye is larger than stock also...

....the Energy Susp 3.2125 bushings (http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/3.2125) appear to be too small for the OME36/CS042R rear eyes. (!) Sadly I bought the 3.2125 kit. Now I need to find something a little larger diameter. Leafs won't go on today.

Ok, so that makes sense...the flange AND the washer-bushing on the inside of the framerail. That's contrary to the picture they have on their instructions...unless it's a view from the rear.

Yeah, and the wording in the instructions is pretty terrible.

Slight correction, the new part# for OME36 is CS042R not CS04R. I don't have them installed yet. :) As you probably know guys who have them say they offer stock-ish ride and more flex along with 2" lift, but that they are not really optimized for towing. I can tell you, they weigh considerably more than the OEM pack I have, as you would expect.

D'oh, typo on my part. Thanks for the correction.
Per OME page, it's 1.5" lift I believe. Regardless...
They are heavy buggers no doubt.
They also seem to be a hot commodity in the land down under. Took 4 months for me to get mine from a local shop.

Their rear eye is larger than stock also...
....the Energy Susp 3.2125 bushings (http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/3.2125) appear to be too small for the OME36/CS042R rear eyes. (!) Sadly I bought the 3.2125 kit. Now I need to find something a little larger diameter. Leafs won't go on today.

Rear eyelet is not larger on mine. The poly bushings from the full kit (4.2124) fit fine without the use of an OEM-style rubber bushing outer sleeve.
For the front eyelet, you must re-use the outer metal sleeve from an OEM-style rubber bushing. FYI. In case the ones you have are still new.

3.2125 is for the front eyelet; though it requires the re-use of the outer metal shell of an OEM-style rubber bushing. Without that sleeve/shell, the bushing will be too small.

They also seem to be a hot commodity in the land down under. Took 4 months for me to get mine from a local shop.

Took me 8 months to get mine... yeah, it was ridiculous.

Rear eyelet is not larger on mine. The poly bushings from the full kit (4.2124) fit fine without the use of an OEM-style rubber bushing outer sleeve.

Your rear eyelet is not larger than the front eyelet? Mine is. Much larger diameter.

Can you tell me the part # of your rear leaf eyelet bushings that fit your CS042R's? It should be stamped on one end of the bushing.

Took me 8 months to get mine... yeah, it was ridiculous.

Your rear eyelet is not larger than the front eyelet? Mine is. Much larger diameter.

Can you tell me the part # of your rear leaf eyelet bushings that fit your CS042R's? It should be stamped on one end of the bushing.

The FRONT eyelet is larger than the rear.
Per OME/ARB, it uses the same exact bushings as the OEM leaf packs.
3086 is the bushing that fits the rear eyelet.
Even the shoulder of that bushing (3086) is a smaller diameter than the inside diameter of the front eyelet.

3086 in rear eyelet:

3086 is front eyelet:

The FRONT eyelet is larger than the rear.

Yes FRONT is larger. *But* front and rear are different sized on mine. See the following.

We're looking at an Old Man Emu / ARB CS042R leaf pack for 91-01 Explorer/et al:

overall (Small).JPG

And now we see the front eyelet. Note how it's nearly 2" in diameter, a little over 1.75":

front (Small).JPG

And now we have the rear eyelet. It's only about 1.25" or so and I have good bushings for it...
rear (Small).JPG

So now, how can your springs eyelets be the same diameter? This is very strange.

Yes FRONT is larger. *But* front and rear are different sized on mine.

Isn't this what I stated? Front and rear eyelets are different sizes.
ID is about 1.85" (47mm) on the front and 1.23" (31mm) on the rear.

Isn't this what I stated? Front and rear eyelets are different sizes.
ID is about 1.85" (47mm) on the front and 1.23" (31mm) on the rear.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought your pic showed you using 3086's for front and rear. I see now you were illustrating how the 3086 were too *small* for the fronts. I'm dense about 3/4 of the time.

This:
3.2125 is for the front eyelet; though it requires the re-use of the outer metal shell of an OEM-style rubber bushing. Without that sleeve/shell, the bushing will be too small.

...is the key info I missed. So, 3086 for rear, and 3.2125 kit + re-use OEM shell for front.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought your pic showed you using 3086's for front and rear. I see now you were illustrating how the 3086 were too *small* for the fronts. I'm dense about 3/4 of the time.

This:

...is the key info I missed. So, 3086 for rear, and 3.2125 kit + re-use OEM shell for front.

It happens to the best of us!
And yes, that would be correct.

Those would be an option -- especially if I destroy the OEM shells getting them out. It might be worth it just to buy new, but i'd really like to use these Energy Susp bushings.

^ Agree. For durability, polyurethane vs. rubber = no contest. Poly RULES. JMO

RB12ST are definitely the correct OEM rubber style replacement bushings for the front eye. Got them installed last weekend, and getting the leafs installed today. Got one side done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back