• Register Today It's free!

Leaking hose???

rsilva708

Reaction score
City, State
Hickory Hills, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I was changing the #4 sparkplug today since it cracked again, when I noticed a hose that was leaking. It is a hose that is mounted to the side of the structure that the shock is bolted to at the top. It on the driverside shock tower, and comes up to about the mid level of the shock tower. It looks plugged, and doesn't connect to anything.

Sorry for the bad description, it's hard to describe. I will try to get a picture of what I'm talk ing about.

2000 explorer XLT 4.0 OHV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about

Attachments

• leak copy.jpg
    leak copy.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 206

That looks like the differential vent tube---
The end should be higher than the diff, or it may leak a little--

Here are a few more pics I just took. It seems a little high to be leaking from a vent tube. It is almost at the hight of the top of the shock. Also, if it is a vent tube why would it be capped?

Attachments

• leak2.jpg
    leak2.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 209

leak3.jpg

In this one, you can see all the fluid that has been coming out

For those of you with a good eye, yest I know that side is missing an end link, I have new ones, it's just been too cold to put on.

If it is the front diff vent, what would cause it to suddenly start leaking. I bought it in Dec of 2005 and had the diffs, tcase, and trans fluids changed in Jan of 06. No Leaks till now

Good eye Jon, I recognized it also. Likely if it is leaking/weaping, there is/was too much fluid in it. Pull the fill plug on the diff. side, stick a clean finger inside. See if the fluid is just below the hole, ideal is about 1/8" below the hole. Regards,

Good eye Jon, I recognized it also. Likely if it is leaking/weaping, there is/was too much fluid in it. Pull the fill plug on the diff. side, stick a clean finger inside. See if the fluid is just below the hole, ideal is about 1/8" below the hole. Regards,

So what could cause it to be all of a sudden over filled? The fluid was changed over a year ago, and just started leaking this week. It has never been in any deep water or snow that would have been up to the point of vent.

Unless something did get inside like water, I'd say the leakage happened right after filling. Check the fluid first.

I was changing the #4 sparkplug today since it cracked again, when I noticed a hose that was leaking. It is a hose that is mounted to the side of the structure that the shock is bolted to at the top. It on the driverside shock tower, and comes up to about the mid level of the shock tower. It looks plugged, and doesn't connect to anything.

Sorry for the bad description, it's hard to describe. I will try to get a picture of what I'm talk ing about.

2000 explorer XLT 4.0 OHV

I used to have the same problem in my 96XLT. Every 6 months the #4 spark plug would go out. I would pull it and it would be fouled up with a bunch of black crap. Anyone else have this problem. I always wondered what was causing.
PS No longer have the explorer jsut curious if anyone else had this problem

Back