Leaking windshield | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking windshield

jtre

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
1997 mountaineer. had this problem since i bought it, looks like the PO attempted to repair it with silicone. The windshield seems to be leaking from the top, because in a heavy rain i notice water dripping from the driver's front corner of the headliner, and there must be some leakage from the other side as well, since there are some stains on that side. Also i notice a lot of wind noise so i suppose the weatherstripping is going bad. any quick fixes i can do while i am at college? will a tube of silicone work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The windshield seal is a gasket between the flat inside surface of the windshield and the frame of the window.

As a temporary fix, I was able to use 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 product around the top of the plastic trim and the roof of the truck. The 5200 is available in black and white colors.... pick the least obnoxious one for your paint color. It did not look great, but it was effective.

As I recall, a new windshield costs about $200+ installed, the 5200 cost $20.

Good Luck.

It's probably leaking because the sheet metal the windshield gets glued to is rusted away. With that in mind decide how far you want to go to fix it.

Caulk might be the answer for a temporary fix.

Thats what Im terrified about. I have the original glass in my 96, it leaks a lot from the top of the windshield... the screwed up part is that its got ZERO rust anywhere. Im hoping when I get the windshield replaced, its not rusted out.

Might well be just a bad seal on the windshield .... if you don have rust anywhere else that would be my guess. However you chose to seal it, the sooner the better. Good luck.

Might well be just a bad seal on the windshield .... if you don have rust anywhere else that would be my guess. However you chose to seal it, the sooner the better. Good luck.

Back