LED Blowing Fuse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Blowing Fuse

I got LEDs for my tail lights...but when i step on the brake there fine light up perfectly but when i turn the actual light switch to put the lights on it blows my fuse...I saw there was a 10 in there so i switched it to a 20 and it blew that also...i didnt wanna blow anymore so im asking you guys first before i call the auto parts store in the morning.

I dont know if i need a bigger fuse or just cant use these..any help is great.
Thanx
jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the tail lights are dual filiment bulbs you need led's that will work in dual filiment applications

where can i get those or do i have to order them specially?

Thanx alot for lettin me know

Jay

If you have 3157 try installing them reverse of how they are now. Turn them over. see what that does.

Please do NOT use a bigger fuse :nono: (unless you want to see how the fire dept put out car electrical fires). The fuse is NOT designed to protect the bulbs; rather it is deigned to protect the wiring circuit by being the weakest link. Inserting a 20A fuse for wire only designed for 10A inverts this and makes the Wire the weakest link. In this case a large load or short will cause the wire to overheat and burn through its insulation. Blowing a 10A and 20A fuse as you have already done indicates you have a short somewhere. Put the 10A fuse back in along with the original bulbs. If they work the new bulbs are the problem, otherwise if the fuse blows you need to trace the wire back to see where it is shorted (usually at bends).

I am pretty sure that they are dual filiments or they sure look like they have 2 filiments, but i jsut dont understand why they wouldnt work...i tried reversing the bulbs and no luck just keep blowing the fuse. I was actully looking at the package for the LED and i noticed on one that it said for "chevy use" could this be why the bulbs arent working together? I didnt see it at first b/c the guy at advanced auto parts grabbed them for me.....please let me know if you guys think that could be it, or if theres anything else i could do...also what website could i just look at online to buy them straight offline if i needed to.

Thanx
jay

You should call the parts store and have them check the bulb part # to ensure the ones you have will work. Did you re-install your old bulbs to verify your wiring isn't fried?

Yea the orginal bulbs do still work fine, the wires arent fried thank god..Ok ill call the parts store and check with the numbers. are u talking about the specific like serial number or something or the bulb size (3157)?

I just looked at the packages and both have the same part numbers, so i will try to call them to see what they say.

If the package has a customer support Phone # maybe you can give it a call to see what's up with the bulbs.

i talked to the manager and he told me to come in 2morrow and hell get me matching bulbs and see what happens...he said that he had a customer with a stang and one bulb said for chevy and it was blowing the fuse also, so i hope this is the big fix here.

ok well i guess im finished with this LED crap, i got the 2 identical bulbs and it blue the fuse again. Im out of ideas i dont see why this would be

anyone?

i do know that led's work with the current flowing 1 way maby switching the wires where it plugs in

Bill Kemp said:
If you have 3157 try installing them reverse of how they are now. Turn them over. see what that does.

Like Bill said some bulbs go in 2 ways. If they can go in 2 ways I would only try 1 new LED bulb at a time to see if it blows the fuse. If it does then take it out and reverse it within the socket. BTW a 10a fuse will handle 120watts - 145 watts (varies with voltage: 12v -14.5v respectfully) before blowing; more than enough for you LEDs. (volts X amps = watts)

Back