LED Conversion Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Conversion Issue

96 Ford Explorer XLT. Replaced every single interior/exterior bulb to LED except headlights (still waiting for those). I also used a LED flasher relay to prevent "hyper-flashing". All lights work fine, except when using my turn signals, the third/high mount brake light lights up, but is dim & kind of sporadically blinks. The other issue is that sometimes when using my brakes, the passenger side only blinker will come on but not blink. Some weird issues & was hoping if anyone can help before I do the same conversion on my Dad's Explorer here soon.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did turn signal and high mount brake light issues happen AFTER your LED conversion? Almost sounds like the common Multi Function Switch (MFS) or MFS connector problems that are very common on these trucks. Unlikely fix, but if you have a tilt column, move it all the way up and down several times leaving it in the UP position and test again. What brand LED's?

Did turn signal and high mount brake light issues happen AFTER your LED conversion? Almost sounds like the common Multi Function Switch (MFS) or MFS connector problems that are very common on these trucks. Unlikely fix, but if you have a tilt column, move it all the way up and down several times leaving it in the UP position and test again. What brand LED's?
Interesting. I had no issues whatsoever before the LED change. I will give it a go & post what I find!

Probably unrelated then. Intermittent MFS issues are often caused by factory wiring inside the column being too short and binding. Again, what brand LED's? I've read a lot of complaints from hyper flashing to short life from no name "bargain" lamps, most from eBay. I'm using 6000K white Sylvania Zevo's, but only for my interior and license plate lights. (#168/194) They're unbelievably clean and bright.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=sylvania+led&_ssn=sixityauto&item=291847183535&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H1.Xsylvania+zevo+led.TRS0&_nkw=sylvania+zevo+led&_sacat=0

Probably unrelated then. Intermittent MFS issues are often caused by factory wiring inside the column being too short and binding.

Again, what brand LED's? I've read a lot of complaints from hyper flashing to short life from no name "bargain" lamps, most from eBay.

I'm using 6000K white Sylvania Zevo's, but only for my interior and license plate lights. (#168/194) They're unbelievably clean and bright.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=sylvania+led&_ssn=sixityauto&item=291847183535&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H1.Xsylvania+zevo+led.TRS0&_nkw=sylvania+zevo+led&_sacat=0
They are generic. I just did the same exact setup in my dad's Explorer for him. His is a 98 & not an XLT. He's not having an issues like mine whatsoever. I also have a trailer plug. It appears it may not even have anything to do with the LED swap. May be a bad ground or something.

Turns out, it was the trailer power converter. I guess it didn't show with the standard bulbs. But due to the lower power consumption of the LEDs, it showed. I took it off, but now need to figure out which power converter I need to replace it!
Learn something new everyday.

Back