• Register Today It's free!

LED fog lamp upgrade?

Drive XR7

Reaction score
City, State
Strongsville, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 X ST
When I purchased my '16 Explorer, I didn't get the LED foglamp option. When I clicked on the foglamps the temperature of the halogen foglamps and LED headlights is very different so I'd like to upgrade the fogs to LEDs similar to what is offered from the factory.

Has anyone upgraded their fogs to LEDs to match the headlights?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm running diode dynamics xp80 fogs. I wasn't impressed with the jdm replacements. Had them on my f1 and there are definitely better led upgrades out there for a reasonable price.

I'm running diode dynamics xp80 fogs. I wasn't impressed with the jdm replacements. Had them on my f1 and there are definitely better led upgrades out there for a reasonable price.

Installed the JDMs today. They looked nicer than stock but aren't any brighter.

Significantly nicer than the yellow bulbs. LEDS on right, stock on left.

20160902_133237_zpsdpyfsdrz.jpg

Installed the JDMs today. They looked nicer than stock but aren't any brighter.

Significantly nicer than the yellow bulbs. LEDS on right, stock on left.

20160902_133237_zpsdpyfsdrz.jpg
Sorry to barge in on your convo, I wanted to switch the stock yellow fogs out of my 16 limited and the ford place told me I had to pay over $300 because you couldn't get the bulb out, have to replace the whole assembly. So when my stock bulb burnt out I had to pay $300 to replace it

Sorry to barge in on your convo, I wanted to switch the stock yellow fogs out of my 16 limited and the ford place told me I had to pay over $300 because you couldn't get the bulb out, have to replace the whole assembly. So when my stock bulb burnt out I had to pay $300 to replace it
Ok, perhaps this doesn't apply because I have a 2017 that has the LED fogs already installed. However, when I briefly looked at mine to try to offer some help I noticed there is an access hatch directly behind the fog lamps in the inner fender well that appears to be to for access to change the bulbs. It's certainly not big enough to change the entire light assembly (I imagine you'd have to take out the inner fender well to do that), but I can't imagine they'd put that access hatch there if you couldn't change the bulb.

You might want to take a look and see if you have the same access hatch in your fender well. If so I would imagine you could just do a quick bulb swap.
20160919_143117_zpsnv9dxcvj.jpg

I just want to know if I can get hid foglight bulbs for my 2016 without replacing the glass and everything. Which sounds crazy to me.

I just want to know if I can get hid foglight bulbs for my 2016 without replacing the glass and everything. Which sounds crazy to me.
You probably could but then they would be more like driving lights than fog lights. Also, halogen and HID's use different housings to project the light. There should be a couple of threads on HID fogs in the 'Modified' sub forum but I don't recall if they were for the 2016 type fixtures. You an use the 'Search' feature to find them.

Peter

You probably could but then they would be more like driving lights than fog lights. Also, halogen and HID's use different housings to project the light. There should be a couple of threads on HID fogs in the 'Modified' sub forum but I don't recall if they were for the 2016 type fixtures. You an use the 'Search' feature to find them.

Peter
Didn't the guys about, drive xr just swap them out? I was hoping he could tell me how they looked and worked

Those are LED not HID.
Sorry about that. Little confused, that's what I meant then, I just want to get rid of the ugly yellow looking lights. Will led fog lights match my headlights? And will those just swap out? Thanks

Sorry about that. Little confused, that's what I meant then, I just want to get rid of the ugly yellow looking lights. Will led fog lights match my headlights? And will those just swap out? Thanks
In looking at the picture above, it looks like a much better match. The halogen high beams I think will not appear to be as bright as the LED fogs or low beams. Memers have changed the highs to LED but reports say that while they are brighter, they don't shine down the road as far.

Peter

Yes you can. You can run hid or led if you like. I'm running led drop ins for the fogs and highs.

The '16+ foglamps are a different design from the previous years, so my experience is only with the '16+.

There is a little door/hatch on the front of the splash shield in the wheel well. It opens, you reach your hand in, and remove the old halogen bulb. Pop in the new LED bulb, and reinstall the door/hatch. 5 minute job. I did not have to replace the whole thing.

The '16+ foglamps are a different design from the previous years, so my experience is only with the '16+.

There is a little door/hatch on the front of the splash shield in the wheel well. It opens, you reach your hand in, and remove the old halogen bulb. Pop in the new LED bulb, and reinstall the door/hatch. 5 minute job. I did not have to replace the whole thing.
And as I shared earlier in the thread here's what the hatch looks like so you know what you're looking for. :)

20160919_143117_zpsnv9dxcvj.jpg

I would like to know what is the number of the fog lights of the same color as the headlights thank you.

I would like to know what is the number of the fog lights of the same color as the headlights thank you.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread/post was moved to this existing one on the same issue.

Peter

Found these LED lights at AutoZone for $140. Looked awful with yellow halogens, plus no fog in my area.
The color is an exact match, and not too bright either.
FYI you have to plug the electrical connector in backwards. The tab will be on the back of the connection. Took all of 15 minutes

IMG_20190101_165938.jpg
IMG_20190101_164335.jpg
IMG_20190101_165852.jpg
MVIMG_20190101_162056.jpg

So far I have tried DD XP80 (6000K), and DD SLF (5700K-6000K?). Both of them do not match the stock LED head lights.

Has anyone found a correct match for the stock headlights?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^Your thread was merged with this existing one found using 'Search'.
There should be info here for you or in one of the supplied links.
Have you tried calling the dealer's parts department? The Owner's Manual is of no help as they just show LED.

Peter

Back