• Register Today It's free!

LED FYI 2nd gen Sport Trac

Tike

Reaction score
City, State
Greater Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Ford Sport Trac XLT
Hi All, New member, long time lurker. Wanted tip everyone off if they did not know, i used an aftermarket 3rd brake light / high mount LED replacement on my 08 ST (2nd Gen) and the brake light function worked fine but the Cargo bay lighting did not work and poped a fuse. (ebay buy). replaced the fuse and then all my interior lights would not work, brakes would not work turn signals or hazards. checked the fuse box, nothing. Was heading out to school in 2 days, so dropped it off at the dealer. FRIED THE SMART JUNCTION BOX. 400 from dealer 200 labor. 600 total.
Just a Heads up about Chinese LEDS.

it was a kit like this.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5574912417&icep_item=381126773476

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: found some Leds with built in resistors that worked like a charm. swapped the whole interior, license plate, and high mount bulbs. will get some pictures up. i used some bulbs i got from the local shop. only issue is for some reason the interior map work backwards.... the passenger side button controls the driver side bulb and vise versa.... oh well small price to pay at this point.

Update: found some Leds with built in resistors that worked like a charm. swapped the whole interior, license plate, and high mount bulbs. will get some pictures up. i used some bulbs i got from the local shop. only issue is for some reason the interior map work backwards.... the passenger side button controls the driver side bulb and vise versa.... oh well small price to pay at this point.
Those leds can somtimes have reversed polarities. Maybe rotate each one 180° & recheck?

Those leds can somtimes have reversed polarities. Maybe rotate each one 180° & recheck?
the original method for overhead light is reflector based and the reflector is pointed to the opposite side I believe, so when the left side is pressed - the right bulb turns on and shines towards the left via the reflector.

the 180 degree rotation is needed if either the bulb doesn't turn on (single filament replacement) or in a dual filament situation and you are not getting hi/low transition.

the original method for overhead light is reflector based and the reflector is pointed to the opposite side I believe, so when the left side is pressed - the right bulb turns on and shines towards the left via the reflector.

the 180 degree rotation is needed if either the bulb doesn't turn on (single filament replacement) or in a dual filament situation and you are not getting hi/low transition.
If you're using a festoon led replacement bulb, only one side of the bulb has lights on it; don't point the bulb towards you, rather point it towards the reflector. Otherwise, you're just pointing it towards the light shield.

Back