LED Headlight Conversions | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last edited:

Went thru their vehicle selection guide. New for this year??

http://www.xenondepot.com/9005-Xtreme-LED-kit-p/xt-led-9005.htm

Yes these are better and cheaper then the one i am using. Mine are only 2700 Lumens. These are 4000 and at least $60.00 cheaper.
I bought but did not use the capacitors that come with em. No need.[/QUOTE
Cool...these look like the ones I need to get. So you didn't see a problem with how far you could see? I have read so many reviews that say even though the LEDs are much brighter, the light throw distance is not as far as even a high end halogen. Just wondering what your opinion is.

Cool...these look like the ones I need to get. So you didn't see a problem with how far you could see? I have read so many reviews that say even though the LEDs are much brighter, the light throw distance is not as far as even a high end halogen. Just wondering what your opinion is.

The nature of the projector lens, (look at it carefully when off) The glass diffuses any actual 'Beam" even if HID.
Think Lumens. OEM on my 2013 are 900 Lumens. My LED are 2700 lumens. The new ones are 4000 lumens. equaling any HID I have seen. Biggest difference is these need no warmup time. You can flash the lights during the day and they are easily noticeable.
These do not need the starter capacitor things the HID need and will fit under your dust covers. I have had mine in fora year or so. No Regrets.

the light throw distance is not as far as even a high end halogen.

On the interstate I light up signs, reflectors a mile down the road. Coming down my street I like to flip on the high side and light up the trees for a block.

Thanks, @champco. It's always great to hear what a person actually experiences with these lights. :salute:

Thanks, @champco. It's always great to hear what a person actually experiences with these lights. :salute:

I'm not using the same LEDs as @champco and perhaps it's an apples and oranges comparison because I have a 2017, but I can verify that the LED high beams really light up the road. I haven't noticed a drop-off in distance with the high beams so if it exists it's negligible (at least to me.) And even if there is a slight drop-off in distance it's more than made up for (at least IMO) by how much better the sides of the road and ditches are illuminated. Deer (and other critters) are much, much easier to see now for me. Best $45-ish dollars I ever spent.

@supr squirrel - Thanks! I like the fact that you only spent $45-ish too! High price does not always indicate a great product....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017M57DJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's been shared a few times before by both myself and @Fentress24 (who gave me the idea for these), but here it is again if you wanted to take a look. :)

EDIT: Wow, I see they have more than doubled in price. When I looked at my previous orders list I only paid $40.99 for them. :(

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017M57DJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's been shared a few times before by both myself and @Fentress24 (who gave me the idea for these), but here it is again if you wanted to take a look. :)

EDIT: Wow, I see they have more than doubled in price. When I looked at my previous orders list I only paid $40.99 for them. :(

Still love mine and get compliments from passengers all the time. Looks like the price went back down. I think I paid $40ish dollars for them.

My fiance who likes to leave her cars stock and doesn't like that I modify a brand new truck actually asked if I could install a set in her Hyundai Santa Fe.

Guys, even though I an newish to this site, I have a 07 F150 that is switched to all LED, interior and exterior bulbs. I have done testing for a vendor on F150forum. I can verify that these 9005 are amazing, and not expensive. 2 sets I have ran for over a year each. I have had them in my 07 Expedition fogs and currently in my 07 F150 fogs and my 2016 Explorer fogs. They match the low beam LED perfectly and I am getting ready to try a set in my high-beams (I have the 9001 HIR in high-beams now, can't vouch for these just yet in the high-beam application). Here is a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1SET-9005-9...ash=item3ae13b35d7:g:gxcAAOSwWiBY-t7M&vxp=mtr

If you are loyal to Amazon, here is a similar pair, just a little more expensive and you don't get the filters: https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Lu...id=1497796816&sr=1-1&keywords=4400+lumen+9005

a year plus and no-one is changing to LEDs?

As stated the LED have a fan and heat sink, you cannot use the dust cover, put them in your glove box.

How about experiences with light output?

There are lots of different power ratings but that doesnt always mean same light out put 50watt 80 up to 200w bulbs,

experiences???

Last edited:

Not on Explorer... (I have 2016).
but on ALL other vehicles in fleet, went to HID when that was cool...
Then went to ALL LED when the HID's quit.
2x the light output, for same amount of power requirements. And currently like $50 on eBay crap, and works "just fine" for my 9007 bulbs...
Plug-n-play.

p.s. Even converted 4 snowmobile headlights to LEDs. Way to go!!!

Also, wanted to ad that I used the 3-sided (triangle shaped) LEDs. IMOHO, do not use the 2-sided "flat" LED headlights. They dont throw the light correctly.
The 3-sided have 2 on top (low beam), and 1 on bottom (high beam). They seem to throw the most light all the time.
The 2-sided, have 2 (or more...) LEDs on top, but the coverage is not good in front of vehicle, and the LEDs on bottom are fine... but again, I like the 3-sided better.

Personally just stuck with good (cheap) company (search) "STARK LED HEADLIGHT" on eBay, for like under $50. They come with 3-sided and fan. have them on 6 vehicles so far.

So, what did you do about the dust covers? And how long have you had those "good cheap" LEDs installed? They look pretty substantial on the Ebay listing. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cut a small slit in my dust covers to run the wires for the ballast. Been running them for over a year with zero issues. Still just as bright as the day I installed them. Love my LED high beams.

Back