LED light bar mounting suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED light bar mounting suggestions

Santa brought me some new lights for JP this year, but now I need to mount them. So looking for suggestions..

Fist lets compare the brightness, because I know that what you all want to know first.

My Original lights are KC 6x9 100 watt driving lights, have worked great, but I'm trying to bring down the power consumption in the truck.

(Sorry for being out of focus)
KC_6x9.jpg

The new LED's are 7.5" with 12 LED's and a 30/60/30 focus split

(Sorry for being out of focus)
LED_7_5.jpg

Happy with the difference for the type wheeling we do:thumbsup:

Now on to mounting.

This is the current set up
6x9_Lights.jpg

new LED's mounted in same spot
LED_Down.jpg

new LED's mounted off the top bar of the bumper, but sit behind tube for protection.
LED_Up.jpg

Love some feedback, although I already have a preference:JP:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the lower part, it looks cleaner.
On the top, it looks more aggressive.

I need to change my vote... After another look I think the upper position goes better with the whole look of the front end. It seems more aggressive.

Nice and bright!!! How do they look placed under the headlights? That would hide the gap in the bumper a little?

I like both spots but for now leave the old lights in place and run new wires. More light only hurts the battery

Nice and bright!!! How do they look placed under the headlights? That would hide the gap in the bumper a little?

Not really worried about the gap. Besides the lights under the headlights would be a pain to mount and have shadows from the main hoop tubes with the lights back so far.

The easiest mounting would be from the top bar. Few hose clamps and I'm done.

Top bar looks better IMHO.

:bsnicker: put them right under where the old ones were, so they look like buck teeth
th_character0303.gif

The lower mounting looks better to me, plus seems like more secure mounting to the bumper, and could even have a piece of flat bar around the top and sides for extra protection and security. Only downside might be less throw than a higher mount and any interference with the winch - or a risk of damaging the lamps when winching.

Top bar mounting seems like it'd be better for high speed baja blasting or race driving/prerunning since you'd get more beam distance from the height, but the big risk to me, especially just using hose clamps, is theft. If you decide to mount them up there, I think it'd be a good idea to make some boxes for them from flat bar and weld those to the hoop, which would give additional protection on the trail, but also give some way to bolt them on, and hopefully make it really tough to remove them quicky and easily.

:bsnicker: put them right under where the old ones were, so they look like buck teeth
th_character0303.gif

Hey.. my truck has buck teeth.. Don't laugh. :(

The lower mounting looks better to me, plus seems like more secure mounting to the bumper, and could even have a piece of flat bar around the top and sides for extra protection and security. Only downside might be less throw than a higher mount and any interference with the winch - or a risk of damaging the lamps when winching.

Top bar mounting seems like it'd be better for high speed baja blasting or race driving/prerunning since you'd get more beam distance from the height, but the big risk to me, especially just using hose clamps, is theft. If you decide to mount them up there, I think it'd be a good idea to make some boxes for them from flat bar and weld those to the hoop, which would give additional protection on the trail, but also give some way to bolt them on, and hopefully make it really tough to remove them quicky and easily.

Not worried about theft, the truck sits in the garage for 95% of its life. Besides they weren't really that expensive. I got both for $115. A more permanent attachment isn't a bad idea though.

Where did you buy them?

I was going to order some new ones for mine but want one of the medium sized one piece light bars.

Where did you buy them?

I was going to order some new ones for mine but want one of the medium sized one piece light bars.

Got them off Pirate. Guy had a 30" & 40" left I think. Pretty cheap.

..:shifty_ey ...Get another pair and run them on top and bottom...:biggthump

..:shifty_ey ...Get another pair and run them on top and bottom...:biggthump

Got the last two.

I am going to get some to switch out the roof one though

I vote top. I think they look better on the bottom, BUT up top, they're behind the bar for protection.

Well I got the hose clamps today from work. We carry the Stainless Steel Marine grade ones in all the sizes. Plus I get a discount:D

Just need to route the wiring, and hook them up for real;)

Attachments

• LED mounted2.jpg
    LED mounted2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 730
  • LED mounted.jpg
    LED mounted.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 741

decided to make these a little more secure, So I picked up some tabs today and welded them on. ;) cut off the old tabs, and just need to wire them now.

Attachments

• new mount.jpg
    new mount.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 888
  • new mount2.jpg
    new mount2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 716

Back