LED puddle light project | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED puddle light project

I originally bought these LEDs to make some custom fog lights buy bought HIDs instead:) So I was bored tonight and came up with these. These LEDs are 10mm 10000mcd hyper whites. Anyway, these took me about two hours tonight and I wanted to show them off. THey are alot brighter than the camera makes them out to be because of the light compensation. Now I just have to make them fit in my mirrors. The soldering job is terrible because I had no flux, bot oh well--it will be fine with the little current they draw. I have about 1000 of these and I am now working on some 6x9 driving lights.

Attachments

• justin 017.jpg
    justin 017.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 844
  • justin 018.jpg
    justin 018.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 827
  • justin 019.jpg
    justin 019.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 819

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

so the LED's are facing up into the mirror? Did you color one side of the lense black?

THe LEDs are facing down. If you pull the lights out of the mirror, it comes out as this plastic housing with a lens. I basically pulled the lens off of the housing and made the LED board fit in--then put the lens back on. This is a picture of the housing upside down. This was a test fit for the board- I added two more LEDs to the center after this.

I also found out that a flat screwdriver works the best to seperate the lens from the housing. I found this out after about an hour of trying EVERYTHING to get them apart. That is why this one looks so beat up. If anyone else wants to try this, boiling the housing WILL NOT make them come apart. The second one I did only took a few minutes to pop apart.

Attachments

• justin 021.jpg
    justin 021.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 402

I made a second set this morning just like the ones I used. If someone wants them, make me a serious offer:) or trade me something for em.

Attachments

• justin 032.jpg
    justin 032.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 406
  • justin 033.jpg
    justin 033.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,343

That's awesome. Looks like they turned out to be pretty darn bright. :thumbsup:

Im just curious as to where you bought the bulk bag of LEDs.. I used to find'em on ebay back in my computer modding days, but now all I can find are small bags of like 20 LEDs.. I want more damnit! And where you can get the circut board, that would be cool too.. Thats if I can steal your idea :D not for the mirror thinger though.

if you have 1200 (minus 16) of these, you should redo the taillights and turn and reverse with them. would be pretty cool, and if you did it to clears with color lights it'd be cooler, but if you already have the whites, they'll be cool, are those the 5mm ir the 10mm?

I am working on my front corner lights as we speak. I already have clear LED tails:) Those LEDs are 10mm by the way. I have these tail lights....
4818.jpg

whooaoaaa!! i LOVE those tail lights, where in the world did you buy those?!

do a search on ebay for username "symmic". They also have these for 3rd gens.

The LEDs I have been using are just 10,000mcd. I just bought 100 110,000mcd LEDs off eBay for my interior lights. These are will in theory be 11x more intense than the ones I currently have with the same projection pattern. This LED thing is becoming an addiction.

justin146 said:
I made a second set this morning just like the ones I used. If someone wants them, make me a serious offer:) or trade me something for em.
$10? Those are a lot better-built than mine. I have 8,000 mcd LED's and only 3 per socket.

how do u hook those up in the puddle lamps? I might be interested if it's "fairly easy"

will you take orders? ha....i need some underbody strips (maybe like 6 inches x 2 inches or something...and i have no idea how to wire up some LEDs)

TJM623 , These would just plug where your stock puddle lamp bulb plugs in. That is what the little piece that is hanging off by the two wires is for.

slravene, I am will be doing some tests this week to see how well the LEDs would hold up under mud/water, as if thet were under your vehicle. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'd be interested in a set of the puddle lamps then, if you wanna make me some =] just use a screw driver to pop off those plastic caps and then plug these in? I'm thinking you should start a lil business lol, I dunno about anyone else but I don't no a thing about wiring.

TJM623 said:
I'd be interested in a set of the puddle lamps then, if you wanna make me some =] just use a screw driver to pop off those plastic caps and then plug these in? I'm thinking you should start a lil business lol, I dunno about anyone else but I don't no a thing about wiring.
send you mine also?

I have built sets for two people already. I am going to wait to see how easy they are for them to install before I make more. If they like the installation process, I'll start making more.

the most important thing to remember when installing them is knowing the polarity of the plug. You MUST hook the positive of the LEDs to the positive of the light socket- which means you will have to use a multimeter. If you put them in backwards, they will very likely burn out.

Well i have a multimeter (my dad does) so, that'll be fine. Lemme kno i'll subscribe this, and you can let me kno here...if not PM me i'm interested for like 10$ ?

Back