• Register Today It's free!

Leeking windshield

BExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XL 4x4
My windshield has been leeking on the upper passenger side for a long time, but not always. Now every rain fall is comming inside my truck. I want to remove the rubber strip and fill the upper channel with somekind of caulking. How do I proceed to remove that rubber thing.
Please help, it must be done soon or the passenger seat will rutt from the water dropping on it.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How pitted is your windshield? If it is bad just have a new windshield put in and they will fix it when they do that.

With doing that you get a new windshield and fix your problem at the same time.

If you don't want to do that then buy the same stuff they put windshields in with. You should be able to get it from a glass shop. Just be careful because it is really messy. You don't want to use anything like silicone so the next time you get a new windshield that junk isn't in there.

In good condition

The windshield is in very good condition, for the filling stuff I wanted to use the black thing glass shop use, I've done that kind of repair on another car. My concern is the rubber strip that surround the windshield, do I just pull it off(with fair amout of pulling) or is it tack by some way I cannot see.

Windshield leaks are one of the toughest things I have ever tried to resolve. In fact, I have never been able to fix one short of replacing the windshield.

Good luck and if you do fix it, please, please, report how you solved it.

The black trim is usually wrapped around the windshield so it shouldn't be able to come off easy. You might be able to run a chaulking gun down along the part that does come up.

Have you checked with a glass company? I know sometimes they will fix it without charging a lot of money.

BExplorer
Is this the original windshield? If not it may have been installed improperly. About 6 months ago, they had a special on I believe it was 20/20 about replacement windshields. They found many were installed improperly.
They stated this posed a potential hazard to the vehicles occupants since it is part of the integrity of the car. On a roll over it serves as a brace for the roof.
In an accident it can fly right out of the vehicle in tact thus offering no protection for the occupants.
If this were my vehicle I would bring it to a auto windshield replacement business and let them remove your glass, clean the channel then re-install with new
caulking. Make sure the guy wears rubber gloves when installing since the oil from his fingers may prevent a good seal. I'm sure they won't charge you alot and at least you'll have peace of mind.
I've had 4 windshields replaced in the past 10 years and have never had a problem. The company I used is
Safelite Auto Glass and I believe they are nation wide.

No

It's not the original, the brand name is not the same as the other glass arround the truck. I've had the truck since 98, and it started leeking only last year, only a few times and not alot. Now it's every rain fall and alot, so I will try to repair it and if it does not work, I will go to the glass shop for reinstall.

BExplorer
I hope I didn't scare you, was not my intention, only to make you aware of the potential safety hazard a inproper windshield installation can cause.
Fix the leak ASAP since it can lead to more problems such as electric shorts, rust, and an unwanted odor.
Best of luck to you and if you can't fix it I highly recommend the Safelite co. I mentioned. Their main office is in Ohio (I'm in NY), they called me and wanted to know if I was satisfied with the job. I was impressed that they took the time to do so, customer satisfaction appears to be important to them. Many insurance companies use them. If you have glass coverage why don't you follow a landscape truck around, they're always dropping rocks off their trucks. That's how my last windshield broke, the guy had more **** on that truck, ran a stop sign and cut me off, then drops stones on the road and cracks my glass. Got his plate # and reported to the ins. co., did they care , not one bit, they just said we will replace it.

Done

Finally I decided to have it repaired, this winter it did not leak, but yesterday was the first rain of spring and all the water 'SPRINGED' into my truck. The guy told me it was an old method of installing that is not used anymore, the windshield was peeling of. This summer if I pushed hard enough, I could have poped it out. Problem solved, windshield reinstalled and weather strip replaced. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Now lets get on with the next problem... LOL

Just an FYI I have a '96 with the original windshield and it developed a leak this winter. I tried the goo fix and that did not work. So I figured oh well I needed a new windshield (pitted somewhat)anyway. At the windshield replacement place I got the bad news.... windshield frame is rusted badly all across the top. Replacement now doenst have a leak guarentee AND I have to go to a body shop to have the "new" windshild removed and the rust ground out, primed and painted.... then another "new" windshield put in (comes as windshield/seal)....

Anyone have a range the body shop should charge for the above fix. I will begin the process of shopping around but I am sure none of them can quote me a price without looking at the problem and they will wreck the existing windshield seal to see the extent of the rust.

Thanks

They should be able to take your new windshield out without wrecking it. They will cut it out fix the rusted part and then have the windshield glued back into place good as new.
It really depends on how bad the rust was. I take it the rust was on the top part?
They could clean it up and spray a rust stopper which helps some but if they have to replace the metal then it will get expensive.

Yes, as soon as you notice the leak you should go directly to get it fixed. It can short out the center console temp thing, and it can rust out really bad.

Back