Lets see your switches! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lets see your switches!

im not to sure where to mount my light switches so i wanted to see where you guys mounted yours. sooo lets see some pics!
thats in my 2wd.... i would put it in the same spot but theres a 4wd selector in its place... i know the mounting kit for the cd player is upside down... thats how i got it and i never fixed it...

so gimme some ideas with pics! please haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sssss_IMG_20130211_134749.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Mine aren't as impressive as ahodges and dustinjorge, but here they are.

Switches1_zpsd760c91b.jpg

In the next pic the red push button switch works the roof lights in this order. 1st push - the 2 outboard lights. 2nd push - the 2 inboard lights. 3rd push - all 4 lights. 4th push - off. Both pairs are on their own relay so the switch is only carrying the relay coil current. (.035 amps)

switch2_zpsed70a411.jpg

switch3_zps34b96dc3.jpg

Switches1_zpsd760c91b.jpg

In the next pic the red push button switch works the roof lights in this order. 1st push - the 2 outboard lights. 2nd push - the 2 inboard lights. 3rd push - all 4 lights. 4th push - off. Both pairs are on their own relay so the switch is only carrying the relay coil current. (.035 amps)

switch2_zpsed70a411.jpg

switch3_zps34b96dc3.jpg

Very nice! You have far more than I do with more intricate wiring. The pictures I think you thought were mine are actually jjaganashi's. I haven't posted pictures of my switches here yet. I've kept mine all in different locations depending on their function. I'll take some pictures tonight and post them up here.

By the way, I love your power inverter plug. I've debated doing that for years now and have never gotten around to it.

Oops!:banghead: Thanks for the compliment. I also have a double outlet in the cargo area, on the ledge inside the window. The inverter(2000w) is mounted on the side of the cargo area above the wheel bump and right behind the rear seat. I have a secondary battery that powers the inverter and all of the aux lights.

How do you charge the 2nd battery?

Both batteries are hooked to a solenoid that is controlled by a charge controller that monitors both batteries and connects both if it senses a charge from the alt. It will also disconnect them if either bat drops below 12v so that neither bat can draw down the other. It also has a manual connect, so if the starting bat happens to die you can basically "self jump" the truck. Here's the system.

DSCF1201.jpg

DSCF1200.jpg

DSCF1198.jpg

The 2nd battery is under the rear cargo area.
Also I run a 200 amp alternator.

i run 3. up front is just for starting the truck, the 2 rear are for all accessories.(lights, winches, stereo, invertors, on-board air, ect...)
im running a 160 amp alternator with a 180A max battery isolator. the alternator charges all three batteries but it isolates the front from the rear 2 so they cant drain themselves.. if the front battery goes dead and the truck wont start, you can jump the 2 post on the isolator and jump start your own truck.
The isolators have 3 post. 1 for alternator lead and 2 for diffrent batteries.

Thanks! I'm also drooling over your inverter plug and battery setup.

WOW !!! Neat stuff guys.

Couple of questions to you electrical mod guys.

I am looking for some switches that have a green LED when off and then - either with the same LED or another - are red. The green to help find them at night and the red to indicate that they are on...

Maybe it's just a wacky idea. I haven't been able find any like that so far.

I am thinking of getting a xantrex prosine 1000 - pretty much a pure sine wave inverter - and am wondering what might be a good place to mount it.

They are not tiny: 4.5 x 11.0 x 15.4” (115 x 280 x 390 mm) and I have a 2 door '02 Sport - not a 4 door.

I guess i will need a bigger alternator as well though I am not sure how big.

Thanks

WOW !!! Neat stuff guys.

Couple of questions to you electrical mod guys.

I am looking for some switches that have a green LED when off and then - either with the same LED or another - are red. The green to help find them at night and the red to indicate that they are on...

You have a couple of options here. You can use a regular switch and a bi-color LED, or a switch with a bi-color LED in it. Like this one

Maybe it's just a wacky idea. I haven't been able find any like that so far.

I am thinking of getting a xantrex prosine 1000 - pretty much a pure sine wave inverter - and am wondering what might be a good place to mount it.

They are not tiny: 4.5 x 11.0 x 15.4” (115 x 280 x 390 mm) and I have a 2 door '02 Sport - not a 4 door.

Probably the most unobtrusive place would be the side panel over the wheel. It will take up the least amount of room there.

I guess i will need a bigger alternator as well though I am not sure how big.

Thanks

Ford makes a 130 amp alternator for the Ex, and there are several aftermarket companies that make 200 amp models.

I've been inspired to finally post my pictures.

As you can see this first picture is on the driver's side under the dash. On the stainless steel plate from left to right this is what they control. 1st - Toggles between the stock horn and my air horn (air horn is up). 2nd - is a dual function switch, up controls my interior and exterior LED lights, middle is off, down is my 4wd tick switch so that the computer thinks the front axle disconnect is engaged in 4wd even though I swapped it out for a later model live axle. 3rd is the air comressor override off switch, up is in auto, down is off. The black push switch on the side of the center councel is for my aux lights in the front bumper.
100_0261_zps247814d2.jpg

This is inside my glove box hidding out of sight. Far left tricks the DVD player that the parking brake is on so that I can have movies playing while driving (for the passengers of course!). Middle my electric fans control switch, up is on high, middle is auto, down is off. Far right is the momentary push switch to teach the fan control module at which speed I want the fans to stay off at all times.
100_0263_zps779f564e.jpg

This last picture is of my center counsel. I think the gauges are self explanatory but the button in the middle controls my electronic exhaust cut-outs.
100_0262_zpsb8d47927.jpg

I also have a subwoofer amp override switch which is in my center councel that I didn't take a picture of. Like I said, my switches are all over the place!

This is inside my glove box hidding out of sight. Far left tricks the DVD player that the parking brake is on so that I can have movies playing while driving (for the passengers of course!). Middle my electric fans control switch, up is on high, middle is auto, down is off. Far right is the momentary push switch to teach the fan control module at which speed I want the fans to stay off at all times.
100_0263_zps779f564e.jpg

I like that glovebox mounting, I wish I would have thought of that for my fan cutoff switch. Mine is mounted in almost the same spot as your switch for your bumper lights. I see you also have the Painless controller, what fan are you using. I have dual Contour fans.

I like that glovebox mounting, I wish I would have thought of that for my fan cutoff switch. Mine is mounted in almost the same spot as your switch for your bumper lights. I see you also have the Painless controller, what fan are you using. I have dual Contour fans.

Thanks! Yep I also have the dual Contour fans. If you remember, I modeled my set up after yours. It is still working flawlessly!

Yeah, a mind is a terrible thing to waste... lol. I remember now. Glad to hear it. Mine is still going strong as well. I've used that override switch a few times while wheelin, turning off the fans to go through water. Just waiting to pick up my last pair of Hella Black Magic lights for the rear facing install and my lighting project will be complete. They're a bit pricey but I like the blacked out look when they're off. You can check out my lights here. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213524&page=26 It's hard to tell in those pics because of the sun glare but the lights have a more muted look than normal lights.

DSCN2623_zpsb94dbb73.jpg

2005 Explorer Switch Location

I have a 2005 Explorer XLT with the center console. Anyone have any ideas where I can install 4 or 5 toggle switches in a functional clean way? I can't install the on the roof because I have a sun roof. Where can I get some kind of mounting plate or switch bracket?? I've checked the auto parts stores here and they don't have anything like that... Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

These are for my Rigid LED's.
DSCN3873_zps8883d8e9.jpg

I have a 2005 Explorer XLT with the center console. Anyone have any ideas where I can install 4 or 5 toggle switches in a functional clean way? I can't install the on the roof because I have a sun roof. Where can I get some kind of mounting plate or switch bracket?? I've checked the auto parts stores here and they don't have anything like that... Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

I mounted one on my center console if you were to use the small toggle switches u could fit them there.

IMG_0188_zps0015377a.jpg

IMG_0187_zpscb625289.jpg

Back