• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate reopening, why?

deerfarm

Reaction score
City, State
Hickory, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
A trait I have experienced a few times is that when I push the button to close the rear liftgate and then start the engine before it is completely closed, the lifgate opens back up.

This is not a big problem, but I just wandered if anyone knows why starting the engine stops the door closing process.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you start it, vehicle momentarily cuts off power to other things, that is why this is happening.

Has happened to me too. I dont think just starting the engine will do that...

There has been a number of times I press the button on the liftgate to close... i could swear it's closing as i walk to my seat and when i get to my seat and look at my rear view... i see the liftgate still up.

and I hadnt started the engine yet. :scratch:

A trait I have experienced a few times is that when I push the button to close the rear liftgate and then start the engine before it is completely closed, the lifgate opens back up.

This is not a big problem, but I just wandered if anyone knows why starting the engine stops the door closing process.

Mine does it too.. not everytime either. Has nothing to do with power being cut because most of the time it closes fine when I start it with it closing.

It would be rediculous to have to sit and wait for it to finish in order to start the car.

I almost backed out of my garage with it open because it reopened when I started it. Fortunately I noticed the backup cam showing a wierd angle.. the tailgate would havr hit my garage door and caused all kinds of damage.

If you start the car while the lift gate is closing, it can reverse.

From the manual:

Care should be exercised in starting the engine before the liftgate is fully
closed (latched). If the ignition is cycled during a liftgate power close
cycle and the liftgate is 6-10 inches (15–24 cm) from being latched, the
liftgate may reverse to the full open position. Verify that the gate is
closed before operating or moving the vehicle, especially in an enclosure,
like a garage or a parking structure. The liftgate or its components could
be damaged in an enclosure if the liftgate is open while the vehicle is
being operated.

Further to Car 54's post, the manual also states;
Cycling the ignition prior to completely latching the liftgate could result in damage to the liftgate and/or its power components. Make sure the liftgate is fully latched before operating the vehicle.

I can also confirm that starting the vehicle before the liftgate is closed will reverse and open it again. I found that out the hard way. Dropped my dog off at the vet and hit the Close button on the door, then jumped in and started the vehicle up. I pulled out of the parking lot and started driving away before noticing the liftgate was fully open.:banghead:

If you start the car while the lift gate is closing, it can reverse.

From the manual:

Care should be exercised in starting the engine before the liftgate is fully
closed (latched). If the ignition is cycled during a liftgate power close
cycle and the liftgate is 6-10 inches (15–24 cm) from being latched, the
liftgate may reverse to the full open position. Verify that the gate is
closed before operating or moving the vehicle, especially in an enclosure,
like a garage or a parking structure. The liftgate or its components could
be damaged in an enclosure if the liftgate is open while the vehicle is
being operated.

I was never able to figure out the scenario on when it would do it but I guess it's right there.. 6-10 inches and it will reopen.

Now the question, why would it do it when it is less then a foot from being closed but won't do it otherwise?? Strange!!

Goes to show you who actually reads the manuals...

I spent two hours the day after I got it going over it and trying all functions.

Back