Operating Liftgate Manually On a Power Liftgate Setup ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Operating Liftgate Manually On a Power Liftgate Setup ?

i don't think it really matters... there is only one outside button and that's in the outside of the liftgate near the license plate.

when you push it to open... you can push it a dozen times while opening and it's not gonna stop until it reaches it set point.

once it opens, you can press the close button from the dash or the bottom of the lift gate door and it's gonna close. pressing either while closing will just make it change direction and open... but again, it wont stop opening until the set position.

i've just gone ahead and set the liftgate height limit as high it can without hitting my garage since there is nothing really that can be done. i use to have a honda ody and guess thought since the sliding doors you can stop at any point, then why not the liftgate on the Ex.

Inside, Outside buttons?? Could you please be more specific? Are you referring to the Liftgate button on the dash and the button on the bottom of the liftgate door?:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was able to stop the door midway on one occassion , I think I used the key fob remote button to stop the door as it was rising upwards, and I believe I hit the button twice in order to iniitiate the stop. Once I got what I needed I hit the button twice again and it closed. I'm pretty sure that's how I did it, I'll try it again tonight to make sure. Being able to stop it midway helps to shorten the time needed to go up and down if you are in a hurry and just need to grab something quickly.

Just did it again, hatch button opened hatch, hatch button stopped hatch about a foot up, reached under and pressed inside hatch button to close.

that doesnt work for me... and I have a video to prove it!!

(video link removed)

i press that outside button all the way to the top (of my preset) and it wont stop.

BUT... you helped me find out that you can stop it from closing by using the outside button on the way down.
once you stop it, you can't use the outside button. any of the other buttons will cause it to continue to close.

So it won't let you stop opening... but if you are quick, you can do a combo move to open, close and then press the outside button to freeze.

still think it kinda stupid.

Just did it again, hatch button opened hatch, hatch button stopped hatch about a foot up, reached under and pressed inside hatch button to close.

hey Car 54... post a video of yours working by pressing the outside button while it's going up to stop it... i'll bring it in to ford and show it to them... maybe mines busted.

Tried your way too and no go.

using key fob it opens.
while opening and double press key fob, it just changes direction and closes.
tried single press and holding down press while in motion in both directions and no go.

i've opened and closed my liftgate probably 50 times tonight pressing every combination i could think of and giving it a rest before i break it.

I was able to stop the door midway on one occassion , I think I used the key fob remote button to stop the door as it was rising upwards, and I believe I hit the button twice in order to iniitiate the stop. Once I got what I needed I hit the button twice again and it closed. I'm pretty sure that's how I did it, I'll try it again tonight to make sure. Being able to stop it midway helps to shorten the time needed to go up and down if you are in a hurry and just need to grab something quickly.

Mine stops when I double click the fob button and it waits for the next prompt before moving again. I've only done it two times and both times it stopped.

Just now tested it...in my boxers...in the parking garage...at 2315 hours....

(I do not have a preset height. Mine goes to max, factory height. All the stops below are at or before half way point)

Key fob:
Double press, opens
Double press while opening, stops, stays.
Double press at stopped height, goes down.

Dash button:
Press once, opens
Press again while opening, stops, stays.
Press again at stopped height, goes down.

Rear control:
Press once from handle, opens
Press left button OR handle button while going up, stops, stays.
Press left button OR handle button again, goes down.

lol, i appreciate the effort from everyone here. :thumbsup:

I guess i have a messed up power liftgate :(

of all the possible problems that concerned me... especially with a 3yr/30k mile bumper to bumper warranty... power liftgate durability was one of them... and I already have driven over 10k in 5 months.

hope this is not a sign of it failing... and hate taking a car in for service... but if it fails after the 30k i bet it'll be major $$$.

bummed. but thanks again everyone.

Just now tested it...in my boxers...in the parking garage...at 2315 hours....

(I do not have a preset height. Mine goes to max, factory height. All the stops below are at or before half way point)

Key fob:
Double press, opens
Double press while opening, stops, stays.
Double press at stopped height, goes down.

Dash button:
Press once, opens
Press again while opening, stops, stays.
Press again at stopped height, goes down.

Rear control:
Press once from handle, opens
Press left button OR handle button while going up, stops, stays.
Press left button OR handle button again, goes down.

I shot a video last night with my ipad, then gave up trying to post it from the stupid device. I'll try to get the video uploaded today sometime.

Inside button would be the one when it's opening under the lip of the tailgate. Outside would be the one on the outside above the license plate. I think......... Doesn't seem like a big deal. Open gate, get what you need and hit button to close. Button could be one of 3 to choose from. Remember keys and using your arms to do stuff. Just use it manually if you're in that much of a hurry.

it's not a matter of being in a hurry
and i have no problem doing it manually if i had to.

but you know what chimo fanboy??

I paid for the power liftgate option.
I was just commenting that i wish it did this or that...
so i am learning that mine does not function as others.

if I pay for something and it doesnt work as it normally should
then i need to take care of it now while i have the chance...
maybe discussing it, it may be a start of new reports of possible failure/TSB

not just go manual and use my muscles for the rest of the time i own the car...
not to wait until the 3/30k mile warranty runs out and then pay big $$$

I appreciate the input from the people that have tried to figure it out.
but your fanboy comments chimoboy every time someone wants to discuss a possible issue with there car...
it's getting old and of no help to anyone.

Inside button would be the one when it's opening under the lip of the tailgate. Outside would be the one on the outside above the license plate. I think......... Doesn't seem like a big deal. Open gate, get what you need and hit button to close. Button could be one of 3 to choose from. Remember keys and using your arms to do stuff. Just use it manually if you're in that much of a hurry.

mine works like Jackal01's findings. I am the one who started this silly thread, but now that I know the liftgate can stop midway and reverse it self without going through the entire rotation it satisfies my needs in certain quick opening situations.

I was also concerned about the longterm reliability of the auto liftgate feature since I need to keep this vehicle for a few years. Not sure about Ford but auto opening doors on minivans have been around for a long time now and they tend to be reliable from what I've seen. If worse comes to worse and the auto lift fails, you will always be able to open it manually, so no big loss.

A huge thanks to everyone taking their time to help in this thread! :D

lol, i appreciate the effort from everyone here. :thumbsup:

I guess i have a messed up power liftgate :(...
I can help you with your liftgate issues by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. I already have your VIN from previous messages, so you’d only need to send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

Cory

First off I was responding to Peter not you. I feel sorry for you. If you take something so personal I apologize. I hope you get your gate fixed. I was just stating that I think it lazy on our behalf to rely on a gate such as this. I rarely use it. Time consuming and useless. Just my thoughts on the matter. Sorry for using an open forum to relay my thoughts. Free speech and all that.

FANBOY

NGFY

1 - if you are going to respond to something on page 1, i suggest you include the quote so that there is no misunderstanding that you are not responding to any one of the 10 other posts after peters.
2 - i'll let the rest interpret the second part of your answer and whether it sounds like it was still referencing peter's post.

I will say, If you have a power liftgate then imo you're not being lazy by using it. I actually think you are stuck using it the way it is designed if it is included in the Ex.

Because I have tried it by disabling the power liftgate in settings... when you press and use your muscles to open and close, it works... but you are always fighting resistance of the liftgate gears whether you are moving in either direction instead of a smooth linear motion you get with a standard shock setup.

imo, it can't be good to be creating that resistant force over the life of the car and feels like it will break one day and I dont want to find out when I am out of warranty.

it may be a $500 option now but out of warranty it could easily be a $1500 cost... or more.

i can set it to manual everytime i find myself in an area where i know i can't let the liftgate all the way... but i dont find it convenient to have to goto steering wheel control > settings > vehicle > power lifgate > off > ok to turn off then go back thru the menu again to turn back on when done.

anyways... people have shown me that thru testing their system, mine is defective and when working properly should satisfy my expectations on how it should function. i have responded to Cory through PM and guess will have to take it in and hope it wont take leaving the car overnight to find the issue and replace whatever part.

First off I was responding to Peter not you. I feel sorry for you. If you take something so personal I apologize. I hope you get your gate fixed. I was just stating that I think it lazy on our behalf to rely on a gate such as this. I rarely use it. Time consuming and useless. Just my thoughts on the matter. Sorry for using an open forum to relay my thoughts. Free speech and all that.

FANBOY

NGFY

First part was to Peter. Second part was just a general statement. Cheers.

i don't think it really matters... there is only one outside button and that's in the outside of the liftgate near the license plate.

when you push it to open... you can push it a dozen times while opening and it's not gonna stop until it reaches it set point.

once it opens, you can press the close button from the dash or the bottom of the lift gate door and it's gonna close. pressing either while closing will just make it change direction and open... but again, it wont stop opening until the set position.

i've just gone ahead and set the liftgate height limit as high it can without hitting my garage since there is nothing really that can be done. i use to have a honda ody and guess thought since the sliding doors you can stop at any point, then why not the liftgate on the Ex.
Thanks donm527. That is what I did as well. I set it for the garage door height. I did find that while closing, if I hit the outside liftgate button the door did stop and remained in that position until I reached under and hit the liftgate button on the bottom of the door. In my case I find it a very handy feature since I can open the liftgate using the fob while my arms are full with hockey gear. I don't have to set stuff down in the snow to open the gate.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back