• Register Today It's free!

Lifting

ruzztec

Reaction score
City, State
McCreary County,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4.0/99 XLT 4.0
Im gonna lift the X 3,4 or 6 inches. I have not decided yet becuase I dont know what I need to extend in the 6. I really want the 6 but I saw kits saying something about front drive shaft extension and cost liek 1,300
I wanna do as cheap as possible and I want to keep the 4x4.So far I know the brake lines must be extended becuase the axle is not raised. Maye the steering. Anyone got any input?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For a 6 you have to extend the brake lines and im pretty sure the steering. You dont need to extent the front drive shaft.

Autozone sells a 3 inche block to lift or lower the rear. I bought one of thoese. I can stack 2 sets on each other to lift the back 6, But the front I got a piece to actually streck the coil spring 3 inches. I maybe able to do it twice to each spring. Then buy new shocks. I am going to use a coil air compressor hose with a bust limit of 200psi for ext brake lines. (I saw this on another X)
Does anyone see if this will work or is ther a pob with it?

You don't need blocks to lift the rear 6", just SOA and maybe aal or shackles. Adding blocks will = closer to 8-9" in the rear.

you cant use lift blocks for the rear. the only way you can lift the rear is by doing a SOA. and even if you could use the lift blocks, stacking 2 blocks on top of each other would be really unsafe.

aal,soa,shackles: hwo do these work> what are cost?

No offense, but you registered in January 2002. I'd think you'd have seen plenty of posts on this topic, and I'd like the think that you know how to search.

I have seen refrence to it, but no one has ever explain or defined what it was. Its the same way in the search results. T

I just lifted my X

and I don't know what soa or aal means. Yes, I do, I know what aal means. Also, if you get the lift kit (the 4" kit) I thought that came with everything but the front drive shaft and that you do have to change it if you do the 4" suspention lift (I am referring to Gen 2 by the way) I just can't afford it. Also, I didn't get but ¾"-1" out of TT. I did the 2" Shackle thing in the back though to level it up (it of course had the butt sag). After all that (even bottoming out my TT on driver's side) 32's wont fit it. (I actually had Sears put one on to see gonna rub my bumper (last gen front bumper of Gen 2 X's) ¿Is it just the 2dr. sports that get 2" out of a TT? I have an idea if I knew how to do this. The 4x4 off road package rangers are really lifted up in the front and the Torsion bar looks lower. I am considering (if they will work and fit) stealing the Torsion bars, and mounting brackets off of 4x4 off road package in a junk yard. Put them on and see if I can get 2" of TT from the factory setting (measuring it where it is before I take mine off then when I re set it with new ones (if it'll work) putting it 1" higher from where it is. I dunno. No one ever got hurt asking anything.

SOA = Springs over Axle which raises it like 6 inches, so it is only good for a 6" lift but it very cheap. Alec is right, there are thousands of threads on this. Do a search

Originally posted by ruzztec
Autozone sells a 3 inche block to lift or lower the rear. I bought one of thoese. I can stack 2 sets on each other to lift the back 6, But the front I got a piece to actually streck the coil spring 3 inches. I maybe able to do it twice to each spring. Then buy new shocks. I am going to use a coil air compressor hose with a bust limit of 200psi for ext brake lines. (I saw this on another X)
Does anyone see if this will work or is ther a pob with it?

:eek:
First off, regardless of what you are lifting, stacking blocks is a sure way to lose your axle. Second, airline, and brake lines are not the same. Only use D.O.T. approved brakelines. There is no second guessing safety. And third if you use those items you mentioned above, please notify me, so I can get my family off the road.:eek:

OK ill do soa, where can I get a detailed information? Like what should I put in search? SOA?

addaleaf or add a leaf
warrior shackles, war153
spring over axle

Go to the homepage, then go to the "list of useful threads" board. There is a write-up on doing an inexpensive SOA, as well as a write-up on TTs, and BLs. Im sure you could find a write-up on shackles and aals somewhere. they are pretty easy to do.

I chould not locate "list of usefull threads" in tips I saw SOA but not much info there

OK now it make much more sense, BUt what about the fornt? How do I do that 6 and stay cheap?

Well to lift the front look in the forsale trade wanted section of the board, and find somone selling the lift brackets. That is what I did, now my truck is 6" higher for around $1200 and that includes the new tires and brake lines. If you want to buy brand new parts then just buy a kit for the ranger from Rocky mountin or 4wheel parts or someone. The ranger kit comes with blocks for the ranger, but that is the only difference. The front end parts are all the same.

I am sure if you look in the modified explorers section of this board you will figure out exactly how you want to lift your truck.

If you just want it to look lifted and not spend much money at all just do a body lift for $100, but if you want it to be better off road then do the suspention lift.

whats the difference in liftin a 4wd and 2wd??? wouldnt it all be liftin the same thing???

im goin to put a 6" on my 92 navajo 4wd.

i dont understand this concept, could someone please explain??

so what your saying is that i should buy a 6" 4wd kit for a ranger??

Felix,

how much was your class II skyjacker kit? was it a ranger kit too??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No

There is a huge difference in lifting a 2wd and 4wd. For example the 2wd can get a spindle lift in the front. It is a lot less expensive than a 4wd 4" suspention lift. However, it absolutly will NOT work for a 4wd. That is one difference. If you are talking about body lift. There is no way in #@$#! I would put a 6" BL. I think they just look like the devil. 1", 2" no more than 3" in BL. Anything else and it is just too obvious it is all BL (body lift). I shouldn't see the entire frame. Nor should I see the Bushings between the body and the frame. I think that that is just plain tacky and ugly. But, hey that is just my opinion and you know opinions are like butt holes, every one has got'em and they usually stink.

Back