Lifting | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifting

No one produces a 6" body lift and custom building one would be impractical and very unsafe. there's alot of confusion floating around this thread, I think some of you guy's need to do alot more research on lifting vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree, also you guys are mixing you your suspsensions, some are talking about the T-Bar front and some are talking about the TTB the original question was for the TTB front.

You can buy a 5.5 inch superlift for you explorer for about 599 bux and thats about as cheap as it gets

if you try to go cheaper you will just break **** and probably hurting someone like X-1 Mentioned.

if you wanna go dirt cheap and still get 5 inchs of lift and still be safe go for

F-150 spacers 35bux
Warrior Shackles 50 bux
3 inch body lift 85-100 bux

thats right at 5 inches and under 200 bux and Safe.

Ryan

haole10,

Yes my lift came from a 97 TTB ranger. It is the same kit they sell for the 91-94 Explorers. The thing is I got my lift from a friend that did a solid axle swap. So I got all the brackets for $400. Then I went to 4wheelparts and bought the front springs, shocks, extended brake lines, and rear Superlift SOA kit. After all was said and done I had around 3 months of accuiring parts and tires, and I have around $1200 invested in my complete lift kit. This also inclueds the cost of my using a garage to install it myself and align the truck after it was all done.

As Nicaraguense, Doug, and Ryan1 have all stated you can only do up to 3" of body lift. Any thing above that and it becomes very unsafe and easy to break the body mount bolt or the pucks brake.

on 4wheelpartrs, they say they have a 6" susp. kit for the 4wd navajo/explorer. does this mean there f'n w/ me?? and its $510

all together i want to spend about 1k on a lift for my truck, and i all i want is to be assured im am buying a lift that is going to be for my truck. i dont want to start doing it and have parts not fit and **** like that and have to worry about it the whole time while doing it.

alot of the stuff on these boards are very contradicting, haha, its hard to pick out the info that is true and whatnot.

so basically what i get from this thread is that 4wheel parts is selling somthing that doesnt exist??

excuse my ignorance, im a kook at this stuff.

Haole10 try calling 4wheel parts, they're the ultimate authority in what they stock...

I know there seems to be contradicting info at first, but you need to hang on the board a while and get used to the players.

I spend months on this board reading posts and identifying the people on the board who knows their stuff before I bought my lift.

Doug, who just posted on this thread, is one of them so seek those guys out.... you'll find very little contridiction between the experts on this board, and what they don't agree on probably works both ways.

Ed

Wow this thread has just gotten rediculous, and if you ask me, the starter of this thread needs to do alot more searching. Airhose for brake lines? Gimmie a break! Search away, then come back with better questions.

Originally posted by haole10
on 4wheelpartrs, they say they have a 6" susp. kit for the 4wd navajo/explorer. does this mean there f'n w/ me?? and its $510

There are different types of TTB lifts, some are better than others. the cheap kits dont come with as many parts as the more expensive ones, the more expensive kits will include rear leaf springs, extended radius arms and probably better shocks. If you call up 4WP they can tell you exactly what the kit consists of.

i just want the parts for the front so i can do the soa in the back.

my friend owns a junk yard so i was going to get the leaf spring pack off a 4door x and supplement that for the leafs off my sport.

this is what the skyjacker 6" lift contains off 4wheelprts

Front coil springs
Rear blocks
Cnter hinge drop brackets
Radius arm drop brackets
Rear U-bolt kit
Sway bar lowering kit

would that be everything i need to do the front lift??

i say i want to spend around 1k the lift, but if i can save a few bucks here and there that would be clutch b/c then i can have more money for tires

sorry for all these questions

Originally posted by haole10
would that be everything i need to do the front lift??

Brake lines front and rear. 4wpw will carry them as well

I beleive with the 6" kit you're also going to need as new front driveshaft. i've also heard of people having bumpsteer issues and they went with the super runner steering kit.

haole10

You will also need to buy 2 new front shocks for the lift. The skyjacker ones are either 34 or 39 dollors each.

Depending on how you do your rear lift you may or may not need longer rear shocks.

Also as RFR2212 posted you will need longer front and rear brake lines. They run about $94 for the explorer procomp ones from 4wheelparts.

My front driveshaft was fine lengthwise, but my rear needed to be extended. Not everyone does this though.

yea i figured i would need new brake lines when i was lookin under my car the other day.

well since im goin to do a soa thatll give me around 6" right?? i would prob need new rear shocks aswell im assuming.

whats the difference between them and the ones i have already??? im geussing they are longer

how would i know the rear DrvShft needs to be extended?? it just wont fit??

instead of getting a new leaf pack, can i get an AAL for each side?
and if thats not enough those warrior shackles?

and again, sorry for all these question

Felix,

i was checking out the pics of your green x, are those blocks between your axle and springs the same blocks they are talking about when the kit says "rear blocks"

dumb question, but i had to ask...haha

and i really dig that bumper...gotta get me one of them

thanks alot guys, you have helped me soo much

;)

Haloe10

Here is the thread i started on my truck. Transforming my Explorer to an Xplorer

Also here is two pictures of the Superlift SOA kit I used to lift the rear of my truck.

12913right_springperch.jpg

12913left_springperch.jpg

Originally posted by Doug
I beleive with the 6" kit you're also going to need as new front driveshaft.

I never had any problems with my front driveshaft 6in of lift from a skyjacker class II lift on my old sport.

you where fine with out it? i guess you dont need a new one then.:)

You'll know you need a new rear driveshaft if you've got excessive vibration. But first check your pinion angle. This is where most of the vibration comes from after a lift. Back to the driveshaft. Some people say there's a minimum amount the driveshaft needs to make contact with the output shaft on the transfer case. Do a search. There's plenty of info on it.

idk, im really confused

my truck is my daily driver, so i cant have it out of commision while waiting for parts. so i was just going to buy everything, and have my buddy who is a mechanic throw it on, so i cant have the job halfway done and need a part.

idk i really confused right now,

i think just gonna ttry to find a skyjacker 6"class two w/ everything in it. it does have everything in it for the front and rear aright??

and i want to put 35's on...does this mean i have to change the gear ratios???? i hear it cost like 800 an axle..if thats true than **** this whole idea

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're planning on running 35s most likely you're going to watch regear to atleast a 4:56:1 ratio, that will be similiar to the gearing you have now with stock gearing. and yeah you're looking at about 800 an axle probably a little bit less. modifying a vehicle isnt cheap to do right, there are alot of details you need to pay attention too.

Back