Lightning Eyes Headlight Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lightning Eyes Headlight Kit

michael_jp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I would like to add a Lightning Eyes Headlight to my XLT, and was wondering if anyone have did it.

Will it be an easy installation and connection or do I need Ford shop to do this?

http://www.carid.com/2011-ford-explorer-lighting/headlight-kit-92558.html

headlights-2011033128.jpg

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say u should be able to manage it by yourself. They just stick on and have a 2 wire hookup either to a switch or into the running lights.

U don't have to disassemble your headlights to install them. Just pull the assembly out and stick them around the bottom lip.

Definitely let us know how it turns out if you add them. Looks like they could fit above the headlights without any major headache.

Thank you for the advice.
Yes, I'm reading my car's owner manual and the headlamp/parking/turn signal lamp is an easy 1-2-3 procedure (open hood, remove bulb cover, turn bulb holder to remove).

With this I could just stick the LED strip to the headlamp as pickupman6 mentioned.

Post Install Pictures a Must

I hate the fact that the Limited does not offer DRL's so I too am looking at something like this, but definitely want a very professional and OEM look to the kit, whatever I end up doing.

Please, when you are done with this project, let us all see your results. We don't mind if you brag, as long as you show off!

I hate the fact that the Limited does not offer DRL's so I too am looking at something like this, but definitely want a very professional and OEM look to the kit, whatever I end up doing.

Please, when you are done with this project, let us all see your results. We don't mind if you brag, as long as you show off!

In Canada DRLs are mandatory, therefore they are built into every EX . All that is required to turn them on is a software flash. I had a T BIRD that I bought in the states a few years back, all that was required to turn them on is a simple 5 minute flash. Have your dealer research the flash and you are done ,instant DRLs.

Wow, i didn't realize that, thank you! It makes sense that if you have the automatic lights sensor that you could get the DRL's. Just need to find a competent dealer! LOL

In Canada DRLs are mandatory, therefore they are built into every EX . All that is required to turn them on is a software flash. I had a T BIRD that I bought in the states a few years back, all that was required to turn them on is a simple 5 minute flash. Have your dealer research the flash and you are done ,instant DRLs.

We asked the dealer...twice now actually, I asked about turning them on in my 2011 Edge Sport, and then in the new Ex. Both times it was the same answer, there is a module that is included in Canadian vehicles which is not included in US vehicles. I don't understand why... Anyway, this module simply reduces voltage to the halogen lamps so they are on, but dimmer than usual. With the Hid's apparently they remain on at full power all the time.

I was just looking at the manual for our new Limited and it indicates that the Limited does have daytime running lights (different knob position) BUT they do not seem to be on if you use the automatic headlight feature. What the heck? I'll have to check it tomorrow to see if they are actually on or not.

I swear there was an Edge at the dealer with vertical LED daylight strips in the bumper. I was wondering why it wasn't an option on the Ex's I guess that wasn't stock either? (it had dealer plates)

Back