• Register Today It's free!

List of issues please help

calvinglen

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 limited 4.0L V6
Hello everyone I have a few issues with my explorer and I was wondering if I could get some help.
I have a 1996 limited edition 4.0L 4wd V6 pearl(?) explorer.
The first and main problem is electrical related. When I turn on my lights the parking lights come on but nothing else. I can you my brights and that works just fine and it looks the same as when my lights use to work but the headlight casing itself is pretty gummed up from years of outdoor weather so my brights might just look like my headlights. If you have any idea let me know.
The second problem is the ac compressor, when I hit automatic or any other button besides vent on the temperature control panel the car shakes a bit and seems to lose a lot of power, I have since only used the vent button. I checked the pulley for the ac compressor and it still turns just fine so it's not locked up or anything. Any ideas please let me know.
The third issue I have is that the driver side window is extremely slow to roll down and it needs two or three clicks to actually come all the way down. I checked the connection in the door and it's all connected so it should work. I had the entire motor for the window replaced in the last 2 years as well. I'm kinda stuck on this one. Please help.
Last issue that is of concern. I had a blow out not too long ago and my driver side rear tire took of a bit of what I think is the running board or the rear quarter panel. Not the truck looks a bit odd with the wheel base showing. If you know what this piece is called or where to order one please let me know!
Thanks! I know this is a lot, the help is as always greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lights:
Have you tried replacing the bulbs or checking the fuse?

Window:
Grab some silicone spray and hit the rubber tracks around the window. Roll up and down a few times and if everything is good, will start working again. Otherwise you need to open the door up and re-attach the plastic clips. The silicone fixed mine up great.

Body damage:
Can you post a picture?

If it's a Limited it probably has the LOM(lights out module). When this module goes bad doesn't it cause the head lights to stop working?(I don't have this so not sure, just what I've read on the forum)

A/C Compressor:

The A/C compressor will run on any setting except for VENT. This is to dehumidify the incoming air which keeps the interior windows clear.

The loss of power is from the draw on the engine. The engine shouldn't shake, is the compressor running OK? Is the idle speed dropping down to low when this happens?

How are you checking the AC compressor? If you are just turning by hand and calling it good, that is not a valid test as the clutch would be disengaged. Test with the engine running. Good luck.

Back