Location of air intakes for heating and AC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Location of air intakes for heating and AC?

Lurch16th

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Anyone know where the air intake vents are for the heating and AC on an 04 Ford Explorer XLS Sport? It appears they might be behind the plastic grill at the base of the front windshield.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exactly right. There's one on the inside too that's used when the mode is set to "recirculate" mode. You'll have to listen for it when the blower is on high, and the setting is in Recirculate, but IIRC it's somewhere behind the glove box.

This is the way to properly disinfect the A/C evaporator if it's getting moldy. Turn the setting to Max A/C, and spray your can of A/C disinfectant in the interior air intake.

Thanks much. I'll be checking it out.

ok,

The objective is to apply some type of screen mesh over the main opening under the plastic grille, the mesh being small enough to prevent rodents from getting in there. I might end up having to make something, but i have to do something. They got into the filter housing and made a huge nest(another post). Part of the nest was foam from up inside the blower motor housing. They only have a 1" mesh covering the main opening, but rodents can nest anywhere inside that long channel from the middle of the car where the wipers are, to the passenger side and eventually still be able to either stuff it up or provide circulated mouse germs, hair, etc.

The thing is you will never even know they are there, for years.

Does anyone make such a screen?

The only good news is that it looks like rodents would not be able to get past the blower motor.

Maybe some nylon window screen, and you could glue it (hot melt?) to the metal or plastic.

One of my customers has a newer Silverado and once he came in with it running poorly with no power, and I noticed the air filter restriction gauge was showing the filter was plugged. I thought that was odd since he had a new air filter installed last oil change. I pulled the airbox apart, and it was packed tight with corn!
Cleaned it out, and it ran fine again. Since then, he hasn't had any trouble, and never really mentioned anything that he was doing differently. Your guess is as good as mine.

Yeah, I had the packed corn thing too, especially since my wife insists on putting shelled corn out by the bucket for the animals, who look like they should be on Weight Watchers.

I'm thinkin i may have to use aluminum, because they will chew through nylon. Woke up one morning, walked into the kitchen to find a squirrel sittin their on the kitchen floor chewing on some bird food, left next to the screen door. Chewed a huge hole in it.

I wonder if hot melt will hold fine aluminum screen mesh.

Or I may go for 1/4 in" and use some self-tap screws.
Checked with Ford and they have nothing available.

Outside air intake for AC/vent/heat

Is the outside air intake in the trough below the plastic grilles at the wiper blades?

I have the same problem with mice, but mine have made it past the blower motor (or have an alternate entrance). I removed the blower motor and shoved a shop vac hose up inside. Leaves, paper, foam and fur; disgusting. I do not think I got it all; still smells, but much better air flow. On a whim, I also pulled the rubber mat off of the center console and removed the disk holding the wiring harness for the smoker's package. There was mouse sign under the console along with a plastic Pepsi bottle cap complete with teeth marks on it. Not sure how they got that in there. Wonderful. I think I am looking at pulling the console and the dash to get at everything; not happy!:fire:

I also found a nest in the air filter housing.

My sister's 2004 also had an episode of mouse invasion a few years ago. At the time, I was unable to locate it for her. I now have more exposure to this problem than I would ever want. Can't Ford do a better job mouse proofing their vehicles?:dunno:

Hi Dorf,

It's not just Ford. I have a 2004 Explorer, Pontiac Van and a Dodge Ram Pickup and have had mice nesting in all three. I'm going to be contacting NTSA, hoping they can make some kind of regulation. Anyway, the only AC/heat vent that i could find was as you mentioned, in the trough under the plastic grille at the base of the windshield. It is only there for looks and anything bigger than a chipmunk.
I custom fabricated an aluminum mesh screen, cut to fit the opening and fastened with screws and posts from the grille. I had to make a very precise pattern and cut holes for posts, wiring and other obstructions. It firs over top of the wiper motor. Nothing smaller than a lady bug can get in there now.

Had to also put a mesh screen over the air intake openeing, just behind the headlight.

Rodents can cause a lot of damage, but if you have comprehensive insurance, it should cover all except a small deductible.

Back