• Register Today It's free!

Locking brakes

mkurtz802

Reaction score
City, State
Quakake PA 18245
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger 01
2001 4x4 Ranger Front disk & Rear drum, the brakes feel spongy intermittantly, some stops the brake pedal will only move 1" for good stopping power, and others you will almost hit the floor. The real poblem is when it snows, coming to a stop is a real challenge. The last 5mph the front wheels just lock and the back wheels just roll along doing nothing. The ABS never comes on when the front wheels are locked. The light does come on when the truck starts. I have rebuilt both rear brakes with new springs, and new wheel cylindars on both sides. The rear brakes work with both rear wheels off the ground and brakes applied. The pedal seems to creep slightly with the vehicle off and the brakes pumped up.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe there's a little air in the system. Have the brakes been bled?

If you did your own work, as mentioned did you "actively bleed" your ABS system... this can't be done via "normally bleeding" as the module has to be activate. It sounds like you have air in the system.... especially likely is you have replaced both pistons.

Bleed brakes

I have bled the brakes.......the traditional way. How do you bleed an abs system?

Are you sure both front wheels are locking the same amount? If not, you may have a collapsed flex line.

Abs

I pulled the ABS fuse and drove it for a while, the brake pedal is solid now and the truck stops 10 times better. Could it be the ABS module?

Back