Looking at a 2010 V6 XLT

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
The time has finally come to find a second vehicle...it kills me to drive my CV in the snow, and get salt all over it. Ive searched high and low for vehicles I like, and that would be reasonable for my purpose. (Driving to/from work and in any bad weather we have), and this Explorer is my favorite.

First time ive ever actually been in this bodystyle, and I love it.

I drove a few Escapes, and even a couple Dodge Rams, and looked at Navigators, F150's, and diesel Excursions. Couldnt find any Excursions optioned with what I wanted, same with Navigators, (And they all had about 130k+) and the Escape is just too small for a guy my size.

I saw this Explorer hiding behind the Escape that I drove, so I got the keys for this, and fell in love. Its roomy, big, automatic 4WD (and 4x4), and basically looks brand new in and out still.

Theyre asking 17k, and im gonna brose around to see what kind of other prices I can find. I would really prefer a V8, but would be totally happy with this one.

The only thing I noted when driving it was a strange VERY SLIGHT "hissing" noise when accelerating from a dead stop up until I got going, coming from the passenger firewall area.

I havent been on the forums in quite some time now, how are these V6's and transmissions? Anything I should look for when I go back?

55C-8CE0A59A5CF0-5815-0000018018B06DAC_zps7fc432f2.jpg

BE8-303A06CE97AC-5815-000001801546AC19_zps05cd1403.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KBB valued this Explorer with its options for $22,100 so $17 doesnt sound too bad.

I believe it's an XLT and looks very clean. Does it have 3rd row seats ? How many miles ?

Generaly, I would prefer v8 as it comes with better tranny, and the MPG is not much different.

Yeah it has 3rd row. Guess it would have been nice to post the options in the first post. Whoops.

53,000 miles
White exterior
Black cloth interior
Power drivers seat
3rd row
Puddle lamps
Premium sound? (Didn't think to check, but definitely sounded like it had a stock sub)

Are the V6 trannys alright? Whats the difference? I would take the V8 over the V6 any day but I can't find any around me :(

I do not think the 5R55 are bad trannies, the v8's come with 6R60 or 6R80 which is a tranny used in F150's and Expeditions so by default they have easier life in lighter Explorer. Mine v8, 06 has 150k miles and still going strong.

The v6's suffer from cracked radiators and apparently I did not find a reason why that happens. Besides that I find the Explorer one of the most comfortable, family friendly and all purpose vehicle I have had so far.

I love your color combo. My tan interior shows all the juices spilled by my kids and their friends, and the black exterior looks nice for about 1 day after a car wash :)

That's basically the white version of the 2010 that I got a few months ago. It was the first time I had been in that body style and the wife and I fell in love with it. We just got back from a road trip with me, the wife, step-son (12 yrs old) and the 17 mo. old with all of our crap and it handled long inclines just fine. Drove in the rain and snow this weekend with no problems.

Believe me I really wanted the v8 as well, but I'm OK with the fact I didn't get it. The v6 works really well and I averaged 20.3mpg with the cruise set at 80mph.

Mine: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365461

It looks like that particular vehicle did not come with the tow option. That means it probably has a 3.55 in the rear.

I love my 2010. It was love at first sight when I went out to look for a new Explorer. My transmission sometimes hits hard when I gas it in stop and go traffic. The hiss could be from the air blend flap. At least I think that is what I read. I have the same hiss. I believe the radiator was a 2006 problem only. I have 44K on mine and no radiator problems.

I'd say go for it. I have never had any remorse on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

That's a tasteful looking machine, and price seems more than fair. I've got an eight, and never had my foot in it. The six ought to be plenty of power, and the 5 speed more than adequate. Six speed seems silly if you aren't actually towing. The hiss may be a $5.00 valve:

19A563_Vacuum_Check_Valve.jpg

Go with your gut, and get that puppy in your driveway!

As long as you don't want to tow/haul anything with it, it looks like a good deal. The smaller 1¼" hitch/receiver opening means it does not have the Class 3 tow package,
...which means that you have 3.55 gearing (not 3.73),
...which means you're gas mileage won't suffer unnecessarily.

Thanks everybody for the long replies, and info!

I've searched online since yesterday, and it seems like the V8's are just hard to come by really. (At least anywhere within 75~ miles from me!)

I found a couple but they had double the mileage, and the interior reflected that. Im just gonna miss the sound of a V8 :(

Another question- Is this thing always in "Auto 4WD?" There were only 3 buttons, "Auto 4WD, 4 Low and 4 High"

What the auto function means is that it is primarily a 2WD under normal situations unless the computer detects the wheels spinning and then it will automatically engauge the front drive axle and disengauge when it is no longer needed. However, you can lock the vehicle into 4 Hi or 4 Low using the appropriate buttons.

Okay that's what I thought. The salesman was sure that it was only RWD until I pressed the appropriate button but I told him what you said basically...that's how my old Sport was. Is there a mod to disable the auto function? (Make it RWD only) until I flip a switch or something?

I don't know if the "brown wire" mod works with our years or not, but I recall reading on here somewhere that there is a fuse that you can pull that does the same thing. It may have been in a post that was started by "the electrician". Personally I wouldn't mess with the system since the front driveline is not activated until you need it.

I just pulled the trigger on a 2010 white xlt myself this past Saturday. My wife was driving an 02 Eddie Bauer that we bought in 05. It had 216K on it and was clean inside and out but was starting to show its age mechanically. The transmission was really the only thing that we had to have rebuilt and the 2006-2010 have the same basic transmission (5r55w vs 5r55s) so I'll be watching out for any issues but with 20k and 3 years left on the powertrain warranty I have a piece of mind. The really are great vehicles if you dont let small things turn into big things.

The time has finally come to find a second vehicle...it kills me to drive my CV in the snow, and get salt all over it. Ive searched high and low for vehicles I like, and that would be reasonable for my purpose. (Driving to/from work and in any bad weather we have), and this Explorer is my favorite.

First time ive ever actually been in this bodystyle, and I love it.

I drove a few Escapes, and even a couple Dodge Rams, and looked at Navigators, F150's, and diesel Excursions. Couldnt find any Excursions optioned with what I wanted, same with Navigators, (And they all had about 130k+) and the Escape is just too small for a guy my size.

I saw this Explorer hiding behind the Escape that I drove, so I got the keys for this, and fell in love. Its roomy, big, automatic 4WD (and 4x4), and basically looks brand new in and out still.

Theyre asking 17k, and im gonna brose around to see what kind of other prices I can find. I would really prefer a V8, but would be totally happy with this one...

Hi BrianDye!

So, don't leave us hanging - did you bring this Explorer home? :D If you're still looking for some options, you can always check out Ford's Certified Pre-Owned site: http://www.ford.com/certified-used/

If you've already brought that beauty home, I encourage you to spend some time getting to know http://owner.ford.com. You can download free copies of your Owner's Manual, get valuable coupons, and even scheduled maintenance appointments.

Have a great day!

Crystal

Haven't brought her home yet, I'd like to wait a week or two and be able to put a significantly higher amount down. Still looking for a black V8 with black leather though!

Paying 20k, I'm gonna be picky :)

17K for a 2010 is not a bad price at all (you might even be able to get them a little lower too), and it seems like the V8 models have more issues posted here than the V6. Plus, if you don't tow anything you will never really notice the difference. If you want the V8 like sound then just put a K&N drop in air filter in it and a flowmaster catback and it will have a little more exhaust rumble when you put your foot in it.

Okay that's what I thought. The salesman was sure that it was only RWD until I pressed the appropriate button but I told him what you said basically...that's how my old Sport was. Is there a mod to disable the auto function? (Make it RWD only) until I flip a switch or something?

Explorer Auto-4WD = Mountaineer AWD
...RWD until slip is detected, then auto engage/disengage front axle
...no, you can't put this system into a pure RWD mode.

Explorer 4WD-HI = Mountaineer 4x4-Lock
...This locks the center differential. Do not use on dry pavement.
...I find this useful when it's very snowy and slippery. In Auto, the Stability Control system will kick in during turns very early before the front wheels have a chance to kick in. This interrupts power, and just annoys me. In 4x4-Lock, the front wheels will pull you thru the turn keep the truck on track, and the Stab Control doesn't need to kick in.

Explorer 4WD-LO = Not available on Mountaineer (no low-range transfer case)
...This also locks the center diff. For severe offroading that most of us will never need/use.

PS - For full hooligan mode:
  • Place into 4WD-HI (4x4-Lock)
  • Press the Stability Control button (dash light illuminates solid). This turns off most Stab Control functions, but leave the traction control on.
  • Press and hold the Stablity Control button for 5 seconds until the dash light flashes a few times, then stays solid. This turns off all of the electronic nannys.
  • Find an empty, unplowed parking lot.
  • Let the fun begin.

Explorer Auto-4WD = Mountaineer AWD
...RWD until slip is detected, then auto engage/disengage front axle
...no, you can't put this system into a pure RWD mode.

Explorer 4WD-HI = Mountaineer 4x4-Lock
...This locks the center differential. Do not use on dry pavement.
...I find this useful when it's very snowy and slippery. In Auto, the Stability Control system will kick in during turns very early before the front wheels have a chance to kick in. This interrupts power, and just annoys me. In 4x4-Lock, the front wheels will pull you thru the turn keep the truck on track, and the Stab Control doesn't need to kick in.

Explorer 4WD-LO = Not available on Mountaineer (no low-range transfer case)
...This also locks the center diff. For severe offroading that most of us will never need/use.

PS - For full hooligan mode:
  • Place into 4WD-HI (4x4-Lock)
  • Press the Stability Control button (dash light illuminates solid). This turns off most Stab Control functions, but leave the traction control on.
  • Press and hold the Stablity Control button for 5 seconds until the dash light flashes a few times, then stays solid. This turns off all of the electronic nannys.
  • Find an empty, unplowed parking lot.
  • Let the fun begin.

I agree with everything that you stated except that the V6 Mountaineer AWD is not the same as the Ex. Auto mode. It is a true AWD setup with something like a 65-35 bias at all times unless wheel slippage is detected then it goest to 50-50 plus all the other RSC stuff kicks in. See the following post:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303944

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, I forgot he was considering V6. I think you are right about the V6 powertrain always providing some torque to both axles. But that's because of the drivetrain itself, not the model (Ex vs Mounty).
I am pretty sure that:
a. Explorer V6 Auto-4WD system = Mountaineer V6 AWD system
b. Explorer V8 Auto-4WD system = Mountaineer V8 AWD system

I know for certain that my V8 AWD Mountaineer is as I previously described. Under normal conditions, there is no torque going to the front wheels.

PS,
To original poster:
If you are having trouble finding a V8 Explorer, open the search to V8 Mountaineers (unless you truely need a low-range). Much higher percentage of Mountys came with the V8, compared to Explorer. I also found that they were lower price, when optioned similarly.

Back