Looking to upgrade to a 2007 ro 2008 EB or Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to upgrade to a 2007 ro 2008 EB or Limited

absentx

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 V8 Limited
Well, I think it might finally be time to upgrade the ole 1999 Explorer Sport with 200k...Not because the truck is no good anymore, but because I am finally in a position to treat myself to a new-to-me truck.

So, I am looking at most likely a 2007 to 2009, most of the 2010's are still a bit pricey. I am looking to be in the $16,000 to $19,000 range, so that puts me in the 35k to 65k mileage range. I work from home so this vehicle is basically needed for towing, going on trips and getting around town.

Questions:

1. V8 or V6?? I really wouldn't mind either one, but I don't want to get killed on gas mileage if I go with the V8. Anyone running a V8 with some aftermarket mods that have helped mileage? What is the real world mileage difference?
2. Frankly I don't want the third row seat but it became apparent along time ago that everybody else does want it, so I am not even going to try to find one without it..I don't even know if you could get one without it. Anyways, will these lay completely flat in the model years I am considering?

Anything else I need to consider in these model years? I got out of selling Ford Vehicles right as the 2006's came out so I wasn't out on the sales floor with them for too long.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a 2008 Ltd. fully loaded that I really like, mine only had 38500 miles and is a Ford certified pre owned. so I paid more for this vehicle then one with more miles and less of a warranty.

Mine has the third row seats that are power activated. I have no use for these seats, but they do fold completely flat. I bought Husky floor mats and a rear cargo area mat that completely covers the third row seats.

I have a V6 and am getting about 14-15 mpg around town. I would expect to get around 18-22 on a trip.

Good luck in your search, I found mine on line from an out of state Ford dealer and am very happy so far.

I also bought a retractable rear cargo cover from Ford, they say you can't get this for a third row seat vehicle, but it fits fine.

Ed

I would say go for the V8, but they're very hard to find. You may even get better gas mileage. There are a few threads on here about "V6 vs. V8". And as mentioned, the seats do fold flat. If you are looking at a Limited model, I believe they had 3rd-row as standard equipment, so no way around it

I bought a 2006 Mountaineer with the V8, and even with the AWD, it gets better mileage than my '98 Mountaineer with the 4.0 SOHC and 4WD.

I would suggest though, if you go for the V8, try and get one with an engine with a build date after 11/30/07. The 3V engines before that date had a problem with carbon buildup around the spark plugs that caused some of the plugs to break apart in the head when attempting to remove them. It's not a end of the world thing, but just a hassle, as a special tool is needed to remove whats left.

Here is the TSB for the plug issue: http://www.saac-mcr.com/main/2008_TSB-Mod_Motor_Spark_Plugs.pdf

Questions:

1. V8 or V6?? I really wouldn't mind either one, but I don't want to get killed on gas mileage if I go with the V8. Anyone running a V8 with some aftermarket mods that have helped mileage? What is the real world mileage difference?
2. Frankly I don't want the third row seat but it became apparent along time ago that everybody else does want it, so I am not even going to try to find one without it..I don't even know if you could get one without it. Anyways, will these lay completely flat in the model years I am considering?

Anything else I need to consider in these model years? I got out of selling Ford Vehicles right as the 2006's came out so I wasn't out on the sales floor with them for too long.

Well, first off the V8 is expected to have as good if not slightly better gas mileage than the V6. My gas mileage is about 12L/100KM highway and around 14L/100KM driving around town (not downtown I don't go there). Depending on what your towing some people have claimed the V6 doesn't have the power.

For the second row seating you can get a center console and fold the third row seat down. I've ordered the Weathertech cargo liner and mats for mine. http://www.weathertech.ca

I recently purchased an 07 V8 EB and its great!

Man that sounds great...Hearing a lot of reasons to look for a V8 here and I like that!

Man that sounds great...Hearing a lot of reasons to look for a V8 here and I like that!

GO FOR THE V8, YOU WON'T REGRET IT. Search around the forums, I don't you'll find one person who regretted getting the V8 over the V6

and oh yes, I've owned a '92 EB and a '99 XLT with the V6. Then moved onto a 2008 and 2010 with the V8. I would never go back to the six. I hope you've been convinced!

Honestly, I love the SOHC V6 in my sport, but I can only imagine the V8 is that much better, so I am absolutely sold.

Plus the V6's have the chronic radiator problems. Just another reason to avoid. The V8's have a chronic tranny "bump" issue but seems like that's solvable. I had it mild in my '06 V8 when I bought it slightly used but it went away over time.

:

1. V8 or V6?? I really wouldn't mind either one, but I don't want to get killed on gas mileage if I go with the V8. Anyone running a V8 with some aftermarket mods that have helped mileage? What is the real world mileage difference?.

I only have an aftermarket exhaust. Did not change anything at all except for sound. Good sound but no performance increase. I have owned both the 6 and now an 8 cylinder engines. I would in a heart beat swap back to the v6. I am getting exactly what ford said I would. 13 city and 18 highway. With only a 400 mile range on average I truly wish I had the 6. Unless your towing a huge trailer there is no need for the V8. That extra power under acceleration really can't be used because if you romp the throttle your also romping your wallet. GO V6 !!

The EPA ratings are 20 highway and 16 combined for both (in '08). So there's no reason the V6 should be getting noticeably better mpg's. My V8 gets over 20 on a pure highway trip.

With full open highway yes I can get 20 and I assume you will get 20 too. However I guarantee with a 4x4 system in my vehicle and AT tires I cannot get 16 city. Your tire type and drive line play a huge part in fuel economy. Are you running street tires with a 2x4 driveline?

With full open highway yes I can get 20 and I assume you will get 20 too. However I guarantee with a 4x4 system in my vehicle and AT tires I cannot get 16 city. Your tire type and drive line play a huge part in fuel economy. Are you running street tires with a 2x4 driveline?

Yep. But you'd get reduced mileage with a 4x4 v6 and AT tires too wouldn't ya? Still not getting why "swapping back to a V6" will net you much better mileage.

it won't but when I had my v6 i could at least bank about 15 city and 21 highway haha. Hey that is a 2mpg increase. Although giving up that extra power would be hard. Passing on steep hills with this much power is awesome! Just a little push on the skinny peddle and VRRRRRRROOOOOOOMMMMM!!! Love it.

it won't but when I had my v6 i could at least bank about 15 city and 21 highway haha. Hey that is a 2mpg increase. Although giving up that extra power would be hard. Passing on steep hills with this much power is awesome! Just a little push on the skinny peddle and VRRRRRRROOOOOOOMMMMM!!! Love it.

Yeah man, the torque is awesome. I wonder how the Ford 3.7L V6 would compare. The numbers are similar but can a V6 ever compete with a V8?

Go for v8. I have 140k on mine, and still strong. With v8 you also get better tranny similar to the one in F150. The 5 speed behind v6 is not that strong.

Yeah man, the torque is awesome. I wonder how the Ford 3.7L V6 would compare. The numbers are similar but can a V6 ever compete with a V8?

no and yes:
All of the following information was copied directly from AOL Auto and all the following explorers are all XLT except for the last one which is a sport model

VITAL STATS for the 2006 4x4 V8
Engine 4.6L V-8 Power 292 @ 5,750 rpm Transmission 6-spd auto w/OD
0-60 6.8 seconds
Drivetrain four-wheel
MPG 14 City / 20 HWY
VITAL STATS for the 2006 4x2 V8
Engine 4.6L V-8 Power 292 @ 5,750 rpm Transmission 6-spd auto w/OD
0-60 7.2 seconds
Drivetrain rear-wheel
MPG 15 City / 21 HWY
VITAL STATS for the 2013 4x2 V6
Engine 3.5L V-6 Power 290 @ 6,500 rpm Transmission 6-spd w/OD
0-60 7.1 seconds
Drivetrain front-wheel
MPG 17 City / 24 HWY
VITAL STATS for the 2013 4x4 V6
Engine 3.5L V-6 Power 290 @ 6,500 rpm Transmission 6-spd w/OD
0-60 6.4 seconds
Drivetrain four-wheel
MPG 17 City / 23 HWY

VITAL STATS for the 2013 Sport 4x4 V6
Engine 3.5L V-6 Power 350 @ 5,500 rpm Transmission 6-spd w/OD
0-60 5.7 seconds
Drivetrain four-wheel
MPG NA / NA

Please notice the difference in the 0-60 times. Notice that the added weight of a 4x4 system actually decreases as in helps the 0-60 time. Traction and added front end weight reduce wheel slip on hard acceleration.

You mean 4x4 reduces (helps) 0-60 times :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back