Loud Rattling Noise Upon Cold Engine Start | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud Rattling Noise Upon Cold Engine Start

I think I may start leasing too!

leasing is the best. Especially if you don’t drive much and/or like driving new cars often.

I just leased an M3 competition and when the explorer lease is over, I wish it was now, I’ll be going to a Tesla and leasing that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think they would take the vehicle apart if they think it's normal. I showed that video to the guys at the service department and as soon as they heard it, they confirmed something was wrong.

Now, if it would indeed be normal after 5k miles, how many cases/complaints about this issue would we have seen by now? Are you suggesting that owners would not be reporting this if their vehicle which was totally fine at startup when they bought it all of a sudden made this noise? It is so loud, no way you could miss that. If this would be affecting every Explorer (or even just the STs and all Aviators), the internet would be full of reports about it.

And look what the user WILMAC posted at the beginning of this thread. Would Ford do a buy back if this is normal? I doubt it...
I have a 2020 Ford Explorer platinum and mine started doing it at about 12,000 miles and right after they did some other work on my engine per a service bulletin. It was in the shop over a month for that bulletin. When I took it back when the loud rattling noise started a week or so later, they checked and gave me some spill about it being normal and a paper that said there could be some noise in 2014-2021 explorers regarding the turbo. It definitely didn’t sound like the description was the same noise I am experiencing. I have owned three explorers prior to this one l including a 2014 and never had this noise when after 100,000 miles. It is so loud and embarrassing when you crank it up. I think I’m going to get a second opinion while
it is still under original warranty.

I have a 2020 Ford Explorer platinum and mine started doing it at about 12,000 miles and right after they did some other work on my engine per a service bulletin. It was in the shop over a month for that bulletin. When I took it back when the loud rattling noise started a week or so later, they checked and gave me some spill about it being normal and a paper that said there could be some noise in 2014-2021 explorers regarding the turbo. It definitely didn’t sound like the description was the same noise I am experiencing. I have owned three explorers prior to this one l including a 2014 and never had this noise when after 100,000 miles. It is so loud and embarrassing when you crank it up. I think I’m going to get a second opinion while
it is still under original warranty.
Yup
The noise is a blend of diesel startup and playing card stuck between the spokes of a bicycle
Weird noise, and I agree embarrassing too
Car looks awesome until it starts and you think hmm 🤔

Sounds like a piece of 💩

Yup
The noise is a blend of diesel startup and playing card stuck between the spokes of a bicycle
Weird noise, and I agree embarrassing too
Car looks awesome until it starts and you think hmm 🤔

Sounds like a piece of 💩
I totally agree. A $60K vehicle should be quiet. On mine, the mesh covering one flex pipes vibrated off and I took the other off as well. No change. The stainless clamp offering by Ford to fix it did nothing. I think I'll try clamping some rolled stainless steel around them and see what happens. Honestly, they really is no reason for a flex pipe here since all piping is on hangars. Maybe the Borla is the right solution: Just get rid of those pipes and pump up the volume!! LOL!! Btw, just hit 28K miles on mine and still love it. That engine should go into all Ford cars this size or smaller! LOL!!

Problem solved. :party: The drivers side exhaust needs a hangar point in front of the flex tube. I installed this today, trimmed the bolts and the startup sound is gone. 2 parts from Amazon and I attached it to the ONLY point available. Btw, I decided to double up on the Ford recommended "Stainless clamp around the flex tube" official BS fix. I first tried their way. No dice. The I used 2 of the plumbing couplings (without the rubber liner) on the flex pipes and the problem was still there, so the OFFICIAL Ford fix does....not...work.:splat: Then the hangar. The added hangar was not difficult to install, but you will need to trim the bolts. See pics for parts used and after install. Pathetic that I'm driving around with a plumbing clamp to fix a FORD issue. But....LOVE that motor....... :chug: Sooooo nice to have a quiet motor that does not embarrass everywhere you go! I even heard that thing rattle at speed at times. Ugh.....but gone now.

PS, I removed the remaining flex pipe mesh because it was falling apart. It is quite pointless. Use leather gloves to hold it as you cut it off. Little bits of stainless mesh will go....everywhere.

20211016_133443.jpg 20211016_133429.jpg 20211016_133457.jpg Screenshot_20211016-190443_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20211016-163437_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20211016-163413_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Hi, our 2020 Explorer ST is currently in the shop due to a loud rattling noise when the cold engine is started. This did not occur when the vehicle was new but I was just notified by the dealership that this would be 'normal'. Does your vehicle make this sound, too?

Rattling Sound

Thanks in advance!
Take a video or something
I have an 18 raptor and 19 navigator

Both startup like diesels…

Problem solved. :party: The drivers side exhaust needs a hangar point in front of the flex tube. I installed this today, trimmed the bolts and the startup sound is gone. 2 parts from Amazon and I attached it to the ONLY point available. Btw, I decided to double up on the Ford recommended "Stainless clamp around the flex tube" official BS fix. I first tried their way. No dice. The I used 2 of the plumbing couplings (without the rubber liner) on the flex pipes and the problem was still there, so the OFFICIAL Ford fix does....not...work.:splat: Then the hangar. The added hangar was not difficult to install, but you will need to trim the bolts. See pics for parts used and after install. Pathetic that I'm driving around with a plumbing clamp to fix a FORD issue. But....LOVE that motor....... :chug: Sooooo nice to have a quiet motor that does not embarrass everywhere you go! I even heard that thing rattle at speed at times. Ugh.....but gone now.

PS, I removed the remaining flex pipe mesh because it was falling apart. It is quite pointless. Use leather gloves to hold it as you cut it off. Little bits of stainless mesh will go....everywhere.

View attachment 394913 View attachment 394914 View attachment 394915 View attachment 394916 View attachment 394917 View attachment 394918
Nope problem is the phasers and the programming

366EAF12-1989-499B-A619-D8D1F16D3335.jpeg E038C5A2-668A-402C-9347-DD7E7D9D5CD6.jpeg

Attachments

• 366EAF12-1989-499B-A619-D8D1F16D3335.jpeg
    366EAF12-1989-499B-A619-D8D1F16D3335.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 206

Nope problem is the phasers and the programming
That program 21B10 program applies to 2017-2020 F-150 trucks. Not the Explorer. Wrong forum.

Peter

That program 21B10 program applies to 2017-2020 F-150 trucks. Not the Explorer. Wrong forum.

Peter
I know but the sound was the same

I wouldn’t be surprised that there is a similar issue, that’s all. It’s may be a different forum and vehicle but it’s worth a shot to ask the question to the service guys to see if there is a programming issue or phaser issue

On YouTube some dude called it out, the startup and pump was an issue, pressure wasn’t high enough

Cold start loud startup sound, pretty embarrassing to start up you vehicle

I tried the temp suggestion and it worked. Make sure the car is in park, hold the gas pedal down and hold the start button, it cranks the engine and build pressure, do it for a few seconds and the release the gas pedal. The car will start but that noise won’t be there. I did it on the navigator and my vehicle no longer had the noise and they just did a reprogram.

My raptor was too far gone with the phasers, they did the program and didn’t work so phasers needed to be replaced

I’m not saying this is it isn’t the fix. I’m just saying it’s worth a shot to try and see. Worth a look into because I know the feeling of starting your newer vehicle and it sounds like a lemon.

Cheers to finding out a fix to the noise.

And trust me I love Ford, the look and drive. Even have a bronco being built at some point and my wife wants to downsize to the aviator. I just want people to find solutions or potential fixes so they enjoy their vehicle

I know but the sound was the same

I wouldn’t be surprised that there is a similar issue, that’s all. It’s may be a different forum and vehicle but it’s worth a shot to ask the question to the service guys to see if there is a programming issue or phaser issue

On YouTube some dude called it out, the startup and pump was an issue, pressure wasn’t high enough

Cold start loud startup sound, pretty embarrassing to start up you vehicle

I tried the temp suggestion and it worked. Make sure the car is in park, hold the gas pedal down and hold the start button, it cranks the engine and build pressure, do it for a few seconds and the release the gas pedal. The car will start but that noise won’t be there. I did it on the navigator and my vehicle no longer had the noise and they just did a reprogram.

My raptor was too far gone with the phasers, they did the program and didn’t work so phasers needed to be replaced

I’m not saying this is it isn’t the fix. I’m just saying it’s worth a shot to try and see. Worth a look into because I know the feeling of starting your newer vehicle and it sounds like a lemon.

Cheers to finding out a fix to the noise.

And trust me I love Ford, the look and drive. Even have a bronco being built at some point and my wife wants to downsize to the aviator. I just want people to find solutions or potential fixes so they enjoy their vehicle
10-4. On my 3.0 V6 Explorer ST I have worn heavy gloves, started it up while I'm under the vehicle and as the drivers side exhaust is vibrating up the nasty startup noise, I can grab it firmly and it's gone. The whole pipe from the cat to the flex pipe has a major vibration that needs to be addressed. Phasers aren't the issue. The engine itself is purring while the exhaust is vibrating. Once it throttles down a touch after about 30 seconds, it's mostly gone....until you accelerate to that same RPM band between 1200 and 2000 RPM.

Now, I put the clamp on yesterday and it does sound better during startup, but had not driven it until today. That vibration is now being transferred to the body, so you can feel in inside in that same RPM band. Yep, still annoying and will need to take a different approach. Maybe different flexpipes altogether....

What a pain on a $55K vehicle....

I gave up on all the noises/small annoyances on my EX.

Car sounds like there's nuts and bolts in the engine on cold start up.

When the engine is completely warm and at idle it sounds like those old old ford windstar vans that sounds like sheet metal rubbing with one another at idle. Like a very metallically vibration buzz. Although it does sound like it's coming from the heat shielding on the exhaust or the flex pipe or clamps etc. But i still get terrible engine noise. I have other cars with DI engines and they're not this bad.

I only have 7k miles on mine.

10-4. On my 3.0 V6 Explorer ST I have worn heavy gloves, started it up while I'm under the vehicle and as the drivers side exhaust is vibrating up the nasty startup noise, I can grab it firmly and it's gone. The whole pipe from the cat to the flex pipe has a major vibration that needs to be addressed. Phasers aren't the issue. The engine itself is purring while the exhaust is vibrating. Once it throttles down a touch after about 30 seconds, it's mostly gone....until you accelerate to that same RPM band between 1200 and 2000 RPM.

Now, I put the clamp on yesterday and it does sound better during startup, but had not driven it until today. That vibration is now being transferred to the body, so you can feel in inside in that same RPM band. Yep, still annoying and will need to take a different approach. Maybe different flexpipes altogether....

What a pain on a $55K vehicle....
Check out this service bulletin. I bet you can do it yourself.

I like how it includes “time to drive and verify the condition”. God forbid you get them for $4 worth of hose clamps on return for a 50k+ sticker. Pitiful.

Maybe they thought if they made them all sound like the 7.3 they would last as long too???

Hi, our 2020 Explorer ST is currently in the shop due to a loud rattling noise when the cold engine is started. This did not occur when the vehicle was new but I was just notified by the dealership that this would be 'normal'. Does your vehicle make this sound, too?

Rattling Sound

Thanks in advance!
I just bought a 2021 Limited from a dealer with 8K miles on it and I get the same noise. The salesman at the dealer says of course it is louder when it is cold. I'm going to take it in and have them show another used one that rattles.

Rattling Sound

Thanks in advance!
It has to do with your variable valve timing actuator mine does it too it just recently started and I have a 2013 police interceptor utility..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Problem solved. :party: The drivers side exhaust needs a hangar point in front of the flex tube. I installed this today, trimmed the bolts and the startup sound is gone. 2 parts from Amazon and I attached it to the ONLY point available. Btw, I decided to double up on the Ford recommended "Stainless clamp around the flex tube" official BS fix. I first tried their way. No dice. The I used 2 of the plumbing couplings (without the rubber liner) on the flex pipes and the problem was still there,

Nice work! Thank you for sharing. Does the passenger side not rattle?

Back