Lower Thermostat Housing Leak

fish-finder

Reaction score
City, State
Elora, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
2003 Sport Trac XLT 4wd, 143K on it.

So i've had an invisible coolant leak for a couple of months. Now its a gushing, highly visible coolant leak on the right side. At this point I have more water than coolant in the system...coolant ain't cheap.

A couple of questions. I'm nearly positive that its the known Lower Thermostat Housing Leak problem. How can I be 100% thats what it is before ordering a kit to replace it?

I've found this: http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/ which I believe was done by a member here.

I have a few photos, so I'll try my best to explain what I see.

I can see coolant sitting on top of the housing but behind the two things I've circled in this photo:

IMG_1956_zpsc4a6e188.jpg

This is from the otherside. The spot I've circled shows where some of the liquid is visible. I can't see well enough in there to tell for sure if this is definitely the problem that I think it is.

0afd0725-63ce-4971-b3a9-4cc5af6f2017_zps8915e331.jpg

Is there a way I can get a better look in there to be sure?

Also, I don't live too close to any parts stores, so I'll likely have to order the parts online and wait for them to arrive. In the meantime, this is my only mode of transportation and I still need to get around until I get the parts and do the work. So three questions....drive it and keep jugs of water and coolant in the truck? Pick up some Bars stop leak stuff? Don't even think about driving it until I get the work done?

Thanks a bunch folks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another lower thermostat housing splitting it's seams, again. Follow the excellent "Bengrosser" thread you linked to a "T" and you'll be good for a long time. Very important to torque to the factory recommended 89 INCH pounds, or 7-8 ft/lbs. Over tightening will lead to deformation and quick failure. Another option is the new aftermarket aluminum one piece replacement. Keep posted and GL.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362922

Most of the threads I've read on here about this issue you have given some great advice swshawaii. Somehow I figured you'd be on this one as well. Will definitely update once I get things sorted out.

While you have things torn down you might want to change the front timing chain tensioner ( metal round thing in front of the sensor you circled) because it is a bear to get at and only about $60

Don't use the Barr's leak!

Unless you are made of money and would love to replace your heater core and radiator in a year or two...

The year was 1980, and I just bought my first Bronco...a '69, green with a white top. "Hey, I got a leak on the drivers side head gasket....think I'll toss in this bottle of Barr's leak...only a few bucks..."

Stopped the leak alright, but come November it was " Jesus, why is there no heat in this truck?"

No charge to you from THIS voice of experiance...

thank you! I have coolant collecting in the exact area!! Im checking the lnk now!

Back