Lowering kit? which one lowers the most??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering kit? which one lowers the most???

DallasGT01

Reaction score
City, State
DALLAS, TEXAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer EB 4X4
I have decided that its best if I lower my explorer... being up in the air as it is makes me want to just run **** over everywhere...

so who makes a lowering kit that will lower a 4x4 the most??? belltech seems to say only rwd but its a 2/2.5 and then ground force is 1.6/1.6 I'd like the bell tech but idk if it fits the 4x4... any other options?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When i rebuilt my suspension last summer I went with the groud force kit, and the Eibach swaybar kit. My total drop was more than the advertised 1.5 inches, infact its closer to three inches. The ride is comfortable, and she drives more like a car than an SUV. The stock wheels fill the wheel wells up nicely.

and arent you a 2wd? or 4wd? belltech says their kit doesnt work with 4x4

I am a 4x4, I thought i had some picture on my Photobucket, but i guess that they were on my EVO 4g before it died. I will get some picture tomorrow after the sun comes out.

Apparently my Camera died on me, but i lucked out, i found a picture from when i was dealing with my transmission ugprade/rebuild this last summer. She looks a lot better than this currently, but for the purpose of showing how the truck sits this picture should do just fine.

615292_445786908794722_1170106063_o.jpg

did you do the install yourself? how much for the parts?

Apparently my Camera died on me, but i lucked out, i found a picture from when i was dealing with my transmission ugprade/rebuild this last summer. She looks a lot better than this currently, but for the purpose of showing how the truck sits this picture should do just fine.

615292_445786908794722_1170106063_o.jpg

Your car is like an exact match of mine excluding the wheels lol, we have same tailights to

I did do the install myself over a weekend. If you have done strut replacement before its really not that bad. I replaced the entire front suspension assembly when i did mine so my cost was pretty high. In terms of lowering and sway bars i think i spent less than $800. I got all of my parts off of summit racing, KYB struts, Eibach Sway bar kit, And Springs from Ground Force. I can give you an actual price and part numbers if your serious about it.

@Flingueur. We gold/Grey lowered Exploeres Got's to Stick togeather man! Im upgrading to full LED tail lights here soon and some black 20 X 10's In preperation for the engine build ive been putting off for years. haha

I did do the install myself over a weekend. If you have done strut replacement before its really not that bad. I replaced the entire front suspension assembly when i did mine so my cost was pretty high. In terms of lowering and sway bars i think i spent less than $800. I got all of my parts off of summit racing, KYB struts, Eibach Sway bar kit, And Springs from Ground Force. I can give you an actual price and part numbers if your serious about it.

@Flingueur. We gold/Grey lowered Exploeres Got's to Stick togeather man! Im upgrading to full LED tail lights here soon and some black 20 X 10's In preperation for the engine build ive been putting off for years. haha

/what engine build is that?? I've been wanting to do something to mine but I'm not to skilled with the engine compartment

Ive been wanted to Stroke to 5.0 Liters with a forged rotating assembly, Heads + Cams, A kenneBell supercharger, and full bolt ons. I want a daily driver that nets 400-450 at the wheels that runs on pump gas. Trying to pass this build pass my other half is the hard part haha.

I went with the groud force kit, and the Eibach swaybar kit. My total drop was more than the advertised 1.5 inches, infact its closer to three inches.

I'm glad to hear that, Ron at RCO Enterprises told me the only kit he can find that will fit the 4x4s is the Ground force 1.6/1.6 so I went ahead and ordered one. I really wanted a little more drop then that so I'm hoping to get the same result as you once I install it.

I'm glad to hear that, Ron at RCO Enterprises told me the only kit he can find that will fit the 4x4s is the Ground force 1.6/1.6 so I went ahead and ordered one. I really wanted a little more drop then that so I'm hoping to get the same result as you once I install it.

The Ground Force kit should do you well. Here is my 2WD Mountaineer with the kit. The tires are an inch taller than stock, so they are filling the wheel wells about ½" more.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The tires are an inch taller than stock, so they are filling the wheel wells about ½" more.

That is another thing, I'm not sure if my tires are stock size or not, they are 275/70/17s. they look a little big to me but they are nice touring tires with about 70% tread so I'm not planning on changing them any time soon.

That is another thing, I'm not sure if my tires are stock size or not, they are 275/70/17s. they look a little big to me but they are nice touring tires with about 70% tread so I'm not planning on changing them any time soon.

That is quite a bit larger than stock. OEM tire size is 245/65R17, which is 29.5" diameter. Your 275/70R17 is 32.2", which is filling your wheel well an additional 1.3" as well as causing your speedometer and odometer to be 9% slow. Lowering might create an interference issue with tires that large.

I don't have the truck at home right now, I just bought it but I took some picks and have compared them too pics I've found online and there is no way they are almost 3" taller. They are however quite a bit wider, so I'm thinking they must be 275/60/17s.

I'll have wait till I get her home this weekend and take a better look.

The Ground Force kit should do you well. Here is my 2WD Mountaineer with the kit. The tires are an inch taller than stock, so they are filling the wheel wells about ½" more.

attachment.php

attachment.php

What rims are those??

I don't have the truck at home right now, I just bought it but I took some picks and have compared them too pics I've found online and there is no way they are almost 3" taller. They are however quite a bit wider, so I'm thinking they must be 275/60/17s.

I'll have wait till I get her home this weekend and take a better look.
That would make more sense, making them 30" tall and just ¼" more fill of the fender gap.

What rims are those??
MB Twist.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone ever cut a coil off the GF ones??? id hate to waste 400 dollar springs... for that price might as well have a set of custom ones made...

Back