Lowering my 2013 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering my 2013 Explorer

GerryCA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer XLT 2013
Hi guys, I hope I'm posting in the correct category. I recently purchased a 2013 XLT with 22 inch rims. I'd like to lower the car and my technician told me he could drop the rear 2.3inches and the front 1.6. I think it'd look great but my concern is when I load up for our camping trips would I suffer any scrubbing under the arches? I'd love to post a couple of pics but still trying to figure that part out :)
Many thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be curious as well to see how much it lowers when carrying a good load, or towing. I'm currently in the middle of lowering mine. Just need to finish compressing the front springs and then reinstall them. Already love the difference in the rear.

Get a 'Photobucket' account, upload your pics there, use the 'IMG' choice and paste into your thread here, or any forum.
So simple.

Hi guys, I hope I'm posting in the correct category. I recently purchased a 2013 XLT with 22 inch rims. I'd like to lower the car and my technician told me he could drop the rear 2.3inches and the front 1.6. I think it'd look great but my concern is when I load up for our camping trips would I suffer any scrubbing under the arches? I'd love to post a couple of pics but still trying to figure that part out :)
Many thanks!

Many thanks!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
There are a couple threads in the 'Modified' sub forum on lowering the Explorer.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394483&highlight=lower
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372389&highlight=lower

I would guess that along with those using a lift kit, that you would run the risk of voiding the 5 year power train warranty with this modification. Try finding a 'kit' that has its own warranty for that purpose.

As for posting pictures, the easiest way it to get a $20 Elite membership and you can post right from your computer etc. This will also ensure that the pictures don't disappear like they tend to do using a 3rd party posting site. Read the thread for 'New Members' in the sticky section for further help.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445029

Peter

i've scanned loads of other posts about lowering and all great info but still can't decide on whether to go ahead and install H & R springs on my 2013 XLT? It already has 22 inch rims and I'm nervous that with the springs it's going to be problematic. I see mostly sports being lowered with stock 20 rims so I'm trying to get a feel for a comparison.

Thanks!

If your XLT came with 18" wheels and you're now running 22" chances are that you may already have a problem if the 22" exceed the OEM size by more than 3%. Curious what size you now have and how much room you have to avoid tire rubbing.

Peter

Back