• Register Today It's free!

Lowering your Explorer

25Horseplay

Reaction score
City, State
Northfield, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
Who has lowered the Explorer? I have seen Ground force springs for an Explorer and was wondering if anyone used them? If so how did it affect the ride? Did you have to replace the shocks? I want to know as much about this as possible because I like the look some of you have with the lowered Explorer's. Pictures if possible, I have a 03 ceramic white limited 4X4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too would like some info on this. It looks as if the stock shocks would be retained, and a camber kit has to be installed (comes with springs). My concern is if it would affect the stability control. Anyone know how this would be affected, if at all?

I had the EE X-spec lowering kit installed today. no new shocks or bump stiops, although I did buy the bump stops.

It seems to pull off the line much better and corner way better. I'll have a reaignment done on Monday or Tuesday. The shop tried, but they did it for safety and really don't do them. But hey they didn't charge me for that and it took them an hour. It feels off after bumps and at freeway speeds, 65-80.

I installed the Rear Sway bar over a month or so ago. Big differnace, get it.

I have not remeasured the 4 wheels wells yet. But the front was at least an inch. Which was already off from the Dealer. I got my ST in January and the drivers side was off from the pass by 1/2 inch, so check it.

Rear should be about 1-1/4 - 1/2 lower. But still looks pitched, lower in the front.

Any way I'll post PICs tomorrow. I have 30" tires, so if your on the normal 29 inchers, you be an inch lower. I do think so far, that I'm going to remove the step bars. I keep kicking them. no more hoping up into the seat for me. lol

I lowered my 04 yesterday and I gotta say that it was an experience. Not a hard job to do but a little time consuming. I replaced my factory springs with the ground force ones. It actually lowered the front like 2.5 inches and the rear like an 2 inches. The front is noticeably lower BUT all around it looks real good. The rear strut was harder to remove but easier to replace the springs, did not need to compress them. The front was easier to remove BUT a whole hell of a lot harder to replace the springs. Had to compress them almost all the way to reasimble the strut. I have a slight negative camber on both sides also, that will be getting fixed tommorrow

:afro: ed

Same story here. I lowered my 04 with Belltech springs about a week and a half ago. The fronts were very easy to get out, and had to compress them quite a bit to swap the spring. The rears took a lot more work to get out, but the springs swapped quickly. It took about 4 1/2 hours altogether, with just basic hand tools and spring compressors. The camber is off, but I hope to get that fixed next weekend. It rides stiff, and a tad bit bouncy, but it handles and corners great. Looks awesome. I don't know about the stability control, sorry.

25Horseplay said:
Who has lowered the Explorer? I have seen Ground force springs for an Explorer and was wondering if anyone used them? If so how did it affect the ride? Did you have to replace the shocks? I want to know as much about this as possible because I like the look some of you have with the lowered Explorer's. Pictures if possible, I have a 03 ceramic white limited 4X4.

it will def effect the ride simply because its a shorter stiffer spring, not enough to make you wanna put the stockers back in but you'll feel some bumps in the road. i stuck with the stock shocks with the GF kit and it worked fine, when i swapped in the BT kit i just replaced them with oem's. the only way to get that leveled out look is to use GF springs up front and BT ones out back (1.6/2.5), otherwise the front will always be a tad bit lower then the back.

nellg said:
I lowered my 04 yesterday and I gotta say that it was an experience. Not a hard job to do but a little time consuming. I replaced my factory springs with the ground force ones. It actually lowered the front like 2.5 inches and the rear like an 2 inches. The front is noticeably lower BUT all around it looks real good. The rear strut was harder to remove but easier to replace the springs, did not need to compress them. The front was easier to remove BUT a whole hell of a lot harder to replace the springs. Had to compress them almost all the way to reasimble the strut. I have a slight negative camber on both sides also, that will be getting fixed tommorrow

:afro: ed

yeaahh, if you got a 2.5'' drop in the front and 2'' rear then you might have installed them wrong or something because you get NO MORE than 1.6'' all around with GF springs, ive swapped stock springs to GF springs to BT springs and then back to GF springs because camber was so far off so ive measured the drop quite a bit.......

heres a couple shots id took with the groundforce springs in, sorry buddy i dont have any with the BT kit installed....

Here's a quick shot of mine with the Belltech springs and 22s.

It has 1/4 tank of gas in this pic. When full, it sits a little lower in the back.

nice ride, i like those wheels, have you thought about shaving roof rack, clear corners, billet grilles, etc........

02_ex_on_dubs said:
nice ride, i like those wheels, have you thought about shaving roof rack, clear corners, billet grilles, etc........

Thanks!

I have the T-Rex grill already. I actually use the roof rack once or twice a year, so I'm going to leave it. I don't mind the way it looks with the roof rack and steps. I've actually been looking for the black housing headlights, but I haven't had any luck finding them anywhere but Ebay, and even then the ones I've found don't come with the black corners. I know they exist, I just can't find them. I am about to give up on going black and just do the clear corners instead. There are some sweet taillights I've had my eyes on (LED, not Altezza). My next big mod will be to shave the door handels and rear emblem, and have the bumpers/fender trim/side mirrors all paint-matched.

jluv said:
Thanks!

I have the T-Rex grill already. I actually use the roof rack once or twice a year, so I'm going to leave it. I don't mind the way it looks with the roof rack and steps. I've actually been looking for the black housing headlights, but I haven't had any luck finding them anywhere but Ebay, and even then the ones I've found don't come with the black corners. I know they exist, I just can't find them. I am about to give up on going black and just do the clear corners instead. There are some sweet taillights I've had my eyes on (LED, not Altezza). My next big mod will be to shave the door handels and rear emblem, and have the bumpers/fender trim/side mirrors all paint-matched.

i didnt kno that anyone made any led tails for 3rd gens, if you find them post a thread cause i would definetly be interested. ive thought about shaving the rear FORD emblem but since its not flush with the body it wouldnt be as easy as filling in two small holes so i didnt want to attempt that, im not too experienced when it comes to body work...ive shaved all the emblems except for the rear ford one, the roof rack, rear wiper, got a billet antennae and couple small things like white leds for liscense plate and up front in the corners to go along with both my 6k hid kits, i'd love to get rid of the door handles and the plastic trim but i'll leave that after my 22's....

ouch $260.00, those are nice tho, exactly what i was looking for...

I wound up putting in some coil spring boosters in between the front springs. Right off the shelf from Advance Auto. It gave me an inch back which I needed and stabilized it more. It looks a whole lot better (level all around) and rides great now. Will send pics soon.

02 ex what springs are on your truck in the first pic. I have an o2 mountaineer and am looking for the same stance. Also what rim size and offset are you running? Thanks for any help.

ewg302 said:
02 ex what springs are on your truck in the first pic. I have an o2 mountaineer and am looking for the same stance. Also what rim size and offset are you running? Thanks for any help.

pm sent

Shocks

Has anybody found the lowered shocks that work with any of the lowering kits? If so please post. thanks

bumpinkicker04 said:
Has anybody found the lowered shocks that work with any of the lowering kits? If so please post. thanks

i think factory replacments will be your best bet......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rear strut was harder to remove but easier to replace the springs, did not need to compress them. The front was easier to remove BUT a whole hell of a lot harder to replace the springs. Had to compress them almost all the way to reasimble the strut.

Hey man... What type of compressors did you use? I took mine to a truck shop a couple months ago and they said they couldn't compress the front springs enough to get them in (???). I know they were doing something wrong, but they said the springs kept popping out of their compressor.

Also, on the rear struts, what tools did you use to loosen/tighten the nuts on the top? It looks like its hard as hell to get in there and be able to get it tight after its replaced.

I'm going to try to put them in myself... Thanks!

Back