Lowering your Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering your Explorer

Hey man... What type of compressors did you use? I took mine to a truck shop a couple months ago and they said they couldn't compress the front springs enough to get them in (???). I know they were doing something wrong, but they said the springs kept popping out of their compressor.

Also, on the rear struts, what tools did you use to loosen/tighten the nuts on the top? It looks like its hard as hell to get in there and be able to get it tight after its replaced.

I'm going to try to put them in myself... Thanks!

I rented very basic spring compressors from O'Reilley's. It was tedious, but they worked fine. If they "popped off" of their compressors, they were definitely doing something wrong. They are basically a long, sturdy bolt with metal grabbers on each end that rest on the coils. It comes with two of these, and you put them on each side of the spring and alternate tightening them down. They may have been trying to compress only one side of the spring (lol!).

The bolts at the top of the shock are much harder to reach in the rear, but it's not impossible. A short-handled wrench would do the trick. I used pliers and a crescent wrench. I have gigantic hands, so if I can reach it, anyone can. You can only turn it a tiny bit at a time, so it takes a while. Just keep at it. You have to loosen more stuff in the back to everything to drop far enough to get the shock out. It should make sense once you get in there. You have to compress the new front springs to get them back on, but you do not with the rears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those guys were idiots for sure!

I replaced the 2 front springs today and will get the back 2 sometime this week (depends on work sched.)... You have to really compress the hell out of the stock springs to make them loose in the strut. Good thing I bought 2 pairs of spring compressors from harbor freight (they were only like $12). I really cranked on the first stock spring and destroyed the compressors.

The GF springs wern't too hard to compress to get them to fit. The Pass side top 3 nuts were a PITA to get to, but probably wont be as bad as the rear!

While my X looks like an 80's van with the rear all jacked up, the front looks awesome! I can't wait to get the rears on.

Oh... one question I had. the top 3 strut nuts... are those 1/2" or 13mm? Both fit (the 1/2" was tight, so I'm thinking they're 13mm) but I wonder which is correct...

I'm going to go buy a set of ratcheting box wrenches and hope that will make things easier.

Oh... one question I had. the top 3 strut nuts... are those 1/2" or 13mm? Both fit (the 1/2" was tight, so I'm thinking they're 13mm) but I wonder which is correct...

I'm going to go buy a set of ratcheting box wrenches and hope that will make things easier.

I honestly don't remember. I don't keep an organized layout or log stuff while I do it. I grab at tools until I find one that fits. Then I toss it aside and grab the next tool. I should be more methodical, but I end up with a mess and spend a decent bit of time looking for the tool or socket "I just had in my hands a minute ago". Whatever gets the job done...

I got home a little early yesturday and installed my rear springs lastnight.

The 3 nuts on the top are infact 13mm and buying a ratcheting wrench (the type with the swivel head) will make the job a million times easier!

I couldn't get the strut out at first, and then I remembered about reading on here the instructions were missing a step. you MUST remove the spindle bolt on the Lower control arm before it will drop low enough to get it out.

The drop was nice, but honestly now I almost wish I went with the belltech setup. The rear should probably be lowered more. However, I'm still very happy with the setup. I need to take it to a shop for an alignment.

Thanks guys for the pointers... it made it easier.

I'll post some pics of it when I get some time.

spring.jpg

your probably going to need a camber kit befor you can get that allignment. Ford has the non-adjustable type factory installed. I got mine from Ingalls. They are very easy to install yourself. All they are is washers with an elongated hole for the control arm to slide

Thanks... I have the ingalls adjusters. The rear wheels arn't too bad, but boy the front is off!

I'm going to try to get the alignment done this week.

Back