How to: - Lubricate 2nd gen hub - Let's make Explorer's wheel hub last forever! Grease your wheel hub and make it almost indestructible! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Lubricate 2nd gen hub - Let's make Explorer's wheel hub last forever! Grease your wheel hub and make it almost indestructible!

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Let's make Explorer's wheel hub last forever! Grease your wheel hub and make it almost indestructible!

If my 4x4 automatic hub is bad, does it make a "clicking sound" like a bad "CV"?
I can't tell if it's the Auto locking hub or a CV gone bad?
A reply would be a great help.
I drive a '99 Explorer Sport V6SOHC 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If my 4x4 automatic hub is bad, does it make a "clicking sound" like a bad "CV"?
It’s not your auto hubs for sure, as you don’t have any.

You have a live front axle. You surely have CV axles. If it sounds like one, I’d say it has to be a possibility.

Bearings/hubs sound like a bearing growl, especially in aggressive turns/lane changes.

They "usually" don't make a clicking sound, but they can. Usually more of a squeal/humming or growling, particularly when changing direction. If it gets more pronounced the more you are turning, probably the CV.

The lockup for the hubs is past the live axle, in the transfer case, and is only completely locked in 4hi, not 4auto.

One test for hub wear is lift that corner of the vehicle off the ground, grab the wheel at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and see if there's play in it. Wiggle small, fast movements so it's more checking the hub and not moving the knuckle and tie rod.

At the same time, both of my front hubs on my '98 went bad to the point of fouling the ABS sensor signal from metal particles in the grease, before there was any detectable play or noise coming from them.

Back